Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Gaming Discussion | .rom files? =o

AuthorMessageTime
BreW
anyone have an emulator?
If you do, you should know what this is.
I was just wondering, if it is possible to make a game in say, C++, and then maybe compile it directly to a .rom file to be played using an emulator such as PJ64.
If you could, that would be neat ;]
Also, how much would it take to make an average FPS that way?
just wondering.
August 16, 2006, 6:29 PM
Invert
:o
August 16, 2006, 7:58 PM
BreW
it took about 2 hours for someone to reply with "o.o"
anyone want to be helpful? lol
August 16, 2006, 8:23 PM
Invert
Ok, I'll be hellful.

I don't have an emulator but I have used many before.
Most games on the market are made with the help of C++.
As far as I know you can't compile into a .rom format directly from any C++ editor/linker/compiler.

I'm not sure it would be that neat if you could do that from a technical point of view.

There is no way to judge the time it would take someone to make an "average FPS".
What is "average" to you Wolfenstein 3d or Half-Life 2?

You should take some time to do research on the web how ROMs are made if that interests you.
August 16, 2006, 9:39 PM
KoRRuPT
o_o
August 16, 2006, 10:39 PM
BreW
errr
i ment average as in the now obsolete Goldeneye 007 for nintendo 64.
Half life 2 isn't even close to being avalible in a .rom file!
OK, so lets review. a .rom is essencially the .iso of cartridges.
Right? so anotherwords, you should be able to extract a .rom, and you would find a whole bunch of exeutables/dlls, or whatever is needed for that game to run. so, all you would really need to do, is compile it as a normal game would be compiled, and then "compress" them to a .rom file, to be readable to say, a nintendo 64 if it was on a cartridge, therefore able for an emulator to read it.
It sounds right, right?
August 16, 2006, 11:25 PM
Invert
[quote author=BreW link=topic=15549.msg156837#msg156837 date=1155770718]
errr
i ment average as in the now obsolete Goldeneye 007 for nintendo 64.
Half life 2 isn't even close to being avalible in a .rom file!
OK, so lets review. a .rom is essencially the .iso of cartridges.
Right? so anotherwords, you should be able to extract a .rom, and you would find a whole bunch of exeutables/dlls, or whatever is needed for that game to run. so, all you would really need to do, is compile it as a normal game would be compiled, and then "compress" them to a .rom file, to be readable to say, a nintendo 64 if it was on a cartridge, therefore able for an emulator to read it.
It sounds right, right?
[/quote]

[quote author=Invert]
You should take some time to do research on the web how ROMs are made if that interests you.
[/quote]

If you already have:
You should take some more time to do research on the web how ROMs are made if that interests you.
August 17, 2006, 12:37 AM
BreW
i feel so unwelcome on vl fourms :'(
August 17, 2006, 3:03 AM
Invert
[quote author=BreW link=topic=15549.msg156844#msg156844 date=1155783810]
i feel so unwelcome on vl fourms :'(
[/quote]

Welcome to the vL forums.
August 17, 2006, 3:43 PM
MyStiCaL
This is a great topic, should be posted be re-viewed by all new users to the vL forums.
August 23, 2006, 1:32 AM
AcidAngel
even the most complex n64 homebrew stuff done by people who know how to use the available sdk stuff as well as possible are mediocre at best, any system your gonna make a rom for you need toa quire the appropriate development tools, alot of which, especially for older systems, aren't super documented
August 27, 2006, 7:17 PM
BreW
I read up on it, they use C++ basically and this special "microcode" stuff for everything else. You're right acid, i would need developers tools to make it. damn.
September 14, 2006, 8:40 PM

Search