Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Most marketable language today

AuthorMessageTime
DeeZ
Dear Fourm,

I'm a recent college graduate, and unfortunately looking for my first full time job in the computer field :O!!

I would be interested to hear a few opinions about what current trends are in programming. Specifically, what language would you say is the most popular among employers?

My first glance through classifieds suggests that Java is on top, but as quite a few of you have been immersed in the computer business, you may have a better perspective.

Thank you T_T
June 4, 2003, 3:22 AM
Naem
I invented K++ (Korea++) but then Kazaa Lite went out and stole it. Bastards.

Oh, right.. popular language.. it depends on who you're working for, what application you'll be programming. C++ always helps (or C, as Kp would tell you).
June 4, 2003, 5:22 AM
tA-Kane
If you plan on going into the application-development field, learn C or C++. Knowing your way around VB can be helpful, but I wouldn't put my money on doing everything in VB. If you plan on going into the web-development field (eww... web... eww...), learn HTML along with Java (eww... Java...) or PHP.
June 4, 2003, 6:01 AM
Raven
If you plan on going into the Web Development field (which is the most marketable one currently), learn Flash, Flash ActionScript, and the innerworking of Flash Generator. If you already have a working knowledge of C and C++, grasping Java shouldn't take you horribly long. But it seems nowadays, everyone wants to do stuff with Flash, and there's just so much to do, people that can do it are in high demand. I'm still a student, and I was lucky enough to find a nice high-paying summer job simply because I have a bit of a working knowledge with Flash. I don't think you can go wrong learning it, especially since it's so intuitive. Good luck! :)
June 4, 2003, 6:54 AM
DeeZ
Great idea. I think I'll look into flash a bit more -- I didn't think of that one. C/C++ are still leading development tools according to you guys? I was expecting to hear stories about how everyone is being forced to learn C# to be competitive nowadays. Of course, i'm glad to hear this, as I have plenty of experience in good ol'e C++.

:D :D :D :D
June 4, 2003, 3:35 PM
Tuberload
Just because there is a number of people who seem to hate Java I am going to post in it’s defense why it is a good language to learn now, and for years to come. This post is in no way meant to criticize C++, or any other language out there.

Lets face it, over the past few years the web has changed computing and programmers that are not willing to learn it’s environment will not make it very far in the field. More and more applications, in one way or another, are being interfaced with the web, and Java is the language that many programmers are using to do it. Fluency in Java, to my understanding, is becoming a requirement for most professional programmers.

Another reason Java is important is because it has altered computer language development. Many of the features only implemented by Java are finding their way into other languages i.e. C#. Knowledge of Java will help you understand new innovations in programming.

Java is related to C++, which was derived from C. So a C/C++ programmer will feel right at home with Java’s C like syntax, and it’s object-oriented nature which was influenced by C++.

Java also unites the multi-platformed environment known as the Internet. It does this in a robust, simple, yet secure manner and still remains fast. Granted its speed is not fast as C or C++, cross-platform solutions come at the expense of performance. Still Java is revolutionary compared to other interpreted languages such as BASIC, Tcl, PERL, etc… Java is also getting faster as new versions of the JVM are being produced.

Java, just like C/C++ is nothing short of revolutionary and will continue to be around for many years to come.
June 4, 2003, 6:01 PM
Raven
C# is basically just C++ updated to function with the .NET architecture and approach so Microsoft can further monopolize the world of application development. I don't think C and C++ experts are reporting having too much difficulty figuring out C#, so I don't know if it needs to be concentrated on too much.
June 4, 2003, 8:12 PM
Skywing
[quote author=Raven link=board=2;threadid=1533;start=0#msg11570 date=1054757532]
C# is basically just C++ updated to function with the .NET architecture and approach so Microsoft can further monopolize the world of application development. I don't think C and C++ experts are reporting having too much difficulty figuring out C#, so I don't know if it needs to be concentrated on too much.
[/quote]Keep in mind that many companies aren't exactly bleeding edge with their tech departments, either. Lots of places are still using Win95 (where .NET won't even work), for instance...
June 4, 2003, 8:33 PM
Tuberload
C# is Microsofts response to Java.
June 4, 2003, 11:49 PM
banditxx99
OTOH, if you are using .NET to write web apps (as opposed to windows apps), then the client platform doesn't matter as they don't need the framework installed. ASP.NET with c# code behind renders down to your standard HTML/javascript/vbscript etc.

It's ASP.NET is not incredibly popular however, so may not be the wisest choice. But I like it. :)
June 5, 2003, 3:17 PM

Search