Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Computer Support Issues | Re: Internet Connectivity

AuthorMessageTime
Ishbar
So i've been without the net for a good 3 weeks, my pc ere to that ran quite smoothly..then two days ago I got my service reinstated...and my connection is lost very frequenctly, it's NEVER done this before, and in order to get connection back ASAP I have to type; ipconfig /release & ipconfig /renew. Otherwise my net will be down 3 minutes before a connection is established...I run my cable line indirrectly from to my t.v. through a spliter and to my cable modem which then connects through ethernet and not USB..which is the other option given. I don't run a network, so I dont have a router either...well...any suggestions now that i've pretty much elaborated on the issue?
June 25, 2006, 4:48 PM
Yegg
Did you contact your ISP?
June 26, 2006, 5:02 AM
LordNevar
It is not wise to use a splitter to run your Cable, and your Internet. I would suggest that you get yourself a good splitter if you plan on doing that. What you are experiencing is a surge per say. Too much data being built up and a backlash through the lines. Electricity is the problem here, although cable lines do not carry electricity through them, your T.V. and cable modem do. That energy is than backed up through the lines with no place to go except out of the ground wire your cable company should have grounded properly. Though with certain low class splitters the electricity stores in the splitter and causes allot of problems, and a feed back loop through the lines out to the poll which will drop your connection, and mess up your digital signal if you have it. I would get yourself a nice 1.5-2.5gig splitter, or I would really suggest having them come out and run a new line specifically for your cable modem.

You can test this theory by touching your splitter connections, if you get shocked than this is the cause. You can also touch the end of the line to your t.v. or digital reciever, and or your cable modem. If at any point your getting a shock, than replace your splitter, and call maintenace to have them install another line.
June 26, 2006, 9:35 PM
Spilled[DW]
I experienced this problem before and this was the problem. Calling my ISP and having a line put in specifically for the modem only fixed the problem so this is i suggest over a better splitter as LordNevar suggested
June 27, 2006, 12:10 AM
Myndfyr
A backed-up splitter doesn't seem a likely candidate to be a cause of a problem that can be fixed with ipconfig /release and /renew.  :o
June 30, 2006, 6:29 PM

Search