Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Computer Support Issues | Reducing a Windows' Partition's Disk Allocation

AuthorMessageTime
Ender
Background
My parents finally gave me permission to install Linux, and I'm giving it a go. I'm installing Fedora Core 4 from a DVD and I plan to dual-boot Windows and Fedora from my one and only hard drive. Fedora's Anaconda installer has an automatic partitioning service. When I ran the installer and got to its automatic partitioning service, it said that I "need a /root partition on my hard drive... this can be due to having no free space on the hard drive." I believe that the automatic partitioning service creates the /root partition for you. I have over 20 gigs of free space on my hard drive, so I believe that my Windows partition is hogging it all, which is why the automatic partitioning was unable to create the /root partition. Window's Disk Management service shows that my Windows partition has a capacity that equals the amount of free space on my hard drive.

Question
Can I reduce the amount of space on my hard drive allocated to my Windows partition, and if so, how? I did some research and looked into the Windows help menu and the Disk Management service and couldn't find a way to do it. I'm on an admin account, but strangely the "format" option for my partitions is disabled in the right-click menu.

Thanks in advance.
June 21, 2006, 3:35 AM
rabbit
You should use FC5.  Anyway, Windows can't reduce partition sizes, only make and enlarge (I know, right?).  You'll have to use a tool like PartitionMagic, but be careful.  I accidentally nuked my drive and had to format everything.
June 21, 2006, 12:32 PM
Myndfyr
He is correct; you'll either need to back everything up and start fresh, or resize the drive with a tool like PartitionMagic.  PM 8 is well worth the money, particularly if you do any kind of support, and I've used it on multiple occasions.  It's never failed me. 
June 21, 2006, 3:19 PM
Ender
Thanks, I'll look into PartitionMagic.

June 21, 2006, 4:21 PM
Ender
Posting from Linux ;-) I haven't mustered up the courage to boot Windows up and see whether my file system is fried or not. Thanks for recommending PartitionMagic -- it did the job (well, as far as I know!) and was user-friendly.

EDIT:
Windows seems fine ;-)
June 22, 2006, 5:14 AM

Search