Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | ACT

AuthorMessageTime
hismajesty
So. I'm taking the ACT tomorrow, what should I expect?

I'm just taking this because I had a lax tournament on the day I was going to take the SAT...so I didn't bother buying a review book or anything like I did for the SAT. Basically I haven't prepared for it, but if there are things I need to review then I'll do it tonight. I'm thinking more towards the math/science part is what I'll need work on. I'm fairly decent in English, I had an extremely high score on my state's standardized test for writing, and a perfect score on the one for reading.
June 9, 2006, 2:25 PM
shout
I found the ACT a lot easier than it was hyped up to be. The only part I had trouble on was the science.
June 9, 2006, 2:26 PM
hismajesty
What was your score if you don't mind?
June 9, 2006, 3:47 PM
warz
The ACT was a joke, even though it is the most widely accepted college entrance exam. I got an over all grade of 28 (out of 36) on the ACT, which was really good, but my SAT score outweighted it, so I used the SAT score for most college applications.
June 9, 2006, 3:50 PM
kamakazie
[quote author=warz link=topic=15155.msg154142#msg154142 date=1149868216]
The ACT was a joke, even though it is the most widely accepted college entrance exam. I got an over all grade of 28 (out of 36) on the ACT, which was really good, but my SAT score outweighted it, so I used the SAT score for most college applications.
[/quote]

Wouldn't this imply (in your case) the ACT was more difficult than the SAT?
June 9, 2006, 4:35 PM
warz
Well, considering the average ACT score is only a 20, no, the ACT was not difficult at all. The SAT wasn't very difficult, either, but I just happened to make a high score on my SAT.. and, the SAT goes much farther here in TX than the ACT does as far as recognition in colleges goes.
June 9, 2006, 6:34 PM
Networks
[quote author=hismajesty[yL] link=topic=15155.msg154138#msg154138 date=1149863128]

I'm just taking this because I had a lax tournament on the day I was going to take the SAT...so I didn't bother buying a review book or anything like I did for the SAT. Basically I haven't prepared for it, but if there are things I need to review then I'll do it tonight. I'm thinking more towards the math/science part is what I'll need work on. I'm fairly decent in English, I had an extremely high score on my state's standardized test for writing, and a perfect score on the one for reading.
[/quote]

You're not going to do exceptionally well if you haven't studied, prepared, etc. You should be preparing for standardized tests if you want to go some place prestigious. But who am I to talk, maybe you're one of those genius children that don't need to, we'll see.
June 9, 2006, 10:58 PM
hismajesty
[quote author=Networks link=topic=15155.msg154157#msg154157 date=1149893900]
[quote author=hismajesty[yL] link=topic=15155.msg154138#msg154138 date=1149863128]

[/quote]

You're not going to do exceptionally well if you haven't studied, prepared, etc. You should be preparing for standardized tests if you want to go some place prestigious. But who am I to talk, maybe you're one of those genius children that don't need to, we'll see.
[/quote]

Probably not. Oh well, I'll get over it. I want to go to Hampden-Sydney.
June 10, 2006, 2:05 AM
CrAz3D
Science (when I took it, which was like 2? years ago) section is just like reading comprehension & simple simple stuff...nothing that you have to actually know.

June 10, 2006, 8:45 AM
hismajesty
The science was easy but the reading part of it was long (as well as the actual reading section) ... but on the Science after like the 3rd experiment set I just stopped reading it and just interpreted. The math was easy too, but I took too long and didn't get to answer like 10 of them (so I just bubbled in)

Writing was a joke.
June 10, 2006, 5:06 PM
shout
[quote author=hismajesty[yL] link=topic=15155.msg154184#msg154184 date=1149959196]
The science was easy but the reading part of it was long (as well as the actual reading section) ... but on the Science after like the 3rd experiment set I just stopped reading it and just interpreted. The math was easy too, but I took too long and didn't get to answer like 10 of them (so I just bubbled in)

Writing was a joke.
[/quote]

Thats like the same thing I did in the science thing.

I got a 28.
June 13, 2006, 4:02 AM
hismajesty
I just got my score online. Here's the results:

ACT Composite 27

English: 25
Mathematics: 25
Reading: 32
Science: 24

Is a 27 good? It seems kind of low. I really wish I had prepared for it now and not just blown off all preparations. I think I'll retake it in the Fall.

June 27, 2006, 2:31 PM
Networks
[quote author=hismajesty[yL] link=topic=15155.msg155008#msg155008 date=1151418679]
I just got my score online. Here's the results:

ACT Composite 27

English: 25
Mathematics: 25
Reading: 32
Science: 24

Is a 27 good? It seems kind of low. I really wish I had prepared for it now and not just blown off all preparations. I think I'll retake it in the Fall.

[/quote]

My suggestion to you is study VIGORIOUSLY on Math and English portions as those are the most highly valued portions most colleges take into account. With a good score in those sections and your reading score, you should have a decent ACT score prestigious schools would like. 27 is just fine for in-state schools and etc.

Georgia Tech will take a 27 I believe but your math and english scores aren't high enough so maybe not. I'd focus on those.
July 1, 2006, 6:19 AM
hismajesty
Yeah, I decided that even though 27 is a decent score (especially for my first time and having not prepared) my individual subscores aren't too great (save Reading) and that I'm going to take the next ACT in October (and prepare for it.) However, most of my school choices are in-state and I think a 27 would satisfy most of them. But I don't want to apply early decision to any school so I see no reason not to retake.
July 1, 2006, 2:18 PM