Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Politics | Liberals

AuthorMessageTime
Invert
http://today.reuters.com/news/newsarticle.aspx?type=oddlyEnoughNews&storyid=2006-05-30T170341Z_01_L30338107_RTRUKOC_0_US-DUTCH-PEDOPHILES.xml&src=rss&rpc=22
May 30, 2006, 6:59 PM
rabbit
That makes them weird, not liberals.
May 30, 2006, 7:59 PM
Invert
Re-Post:
Is that not a liberal idea to lower the age limit of legal sex age? It's sure not a conservative one.

If liberals were not opposed pedophiles would roam the streets freely! Oh wait, they already do thanks to liberal judges that think they would some how hurt the pedophiles feelings if he put him in jail.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/05/26/judge.flap.ap/index.html

Liberalism is a mental handicap.

---------

Who ever moved my original post to the trashcan be very careful. I threaten. There are two so one might innocently suffer.
May 30, 2006, 10:36 PM
Arta
What, precisely, is wrong with that? The answer to bad speech isn't no speech, it's more speech. Those people won't have a leg to stand on, because their position is patently stupid, and people will say so.

Constantly referring to liberalism as a mental handicap merely reveals your own ignorance. You seem to find behaviour you don't like, label it as liberal, and then use it bash liberals, irrespective of reality. I don't think you even understand the concept.

It's very boring.
May 30, 2006, 11:41 PM
CrAz3D
mmm, lenient criminal stuff is generally a liberal thing...if it was a conservative government/society (my kind of conservative) those child molesters would be dead.

May 30, 2006, 11:49 PM
Topaz
[quote author=CrAz3D link=topic=15092.msg153471#msg153471 date=1149032972]
mmm, lenient criminal stuff is generally a liberal thing...if it was a conservative government/society (my kind of conservative) those child molesters would be dead.
[/quote]

And that... is why I called you extremist.
May 31, 2006, 12:00 AM
CrAz3D
[quote author=Topaz link=topic=15092.msg153472#msg153472 date=1149033654]
[/quote]

[/quote]that isnt really extreme...most societies in the middle east would do it, I think.

I saw a new article where some lady was being assaulted in a bar, 20 people from that bar went and beat the hell out of her attacker...its real justice.

child molesters should be punished by society, I feel death is appropriate in most cases, I'm sure many agree with me
May 31, 2006, 12:52 AM
Topaz
[quote author=CrAz3D link=topic=15092.msg153476#msg153476 date=1149036773]
[quote author=Topaz link=topic=15092.msg153472#msg153472 date=1149033654]
[/quote]

[/quote]that isnt really extreme...most societies in the middle east would do it, I think.

I saw a new article where some lady was being assaulted in a bar, 20 people from that bar went and beat the hell out of her attacker...its real justice.

child molesters should be punished by society, I feel death is appropriate in most cases, I'm sure many agree with me
[/quote]

Why do you think a lot of people label the middle and far east extremist?
May 31, 2006, 1:15 AM
Rule
[/quote]

Too bad the justice system isn't controlled by physically abusive angry mobs acting emotionally and in the heat of the moment, ignorant of the situation they are taking it upon themselves to dole out punishment for.  Because if it were, things would be so much more humane, fair and reasonable -- true justice  ::).
May 31, 2006, 3:19 AM
Adron
Well, that does seems like a conservative thing to suggest. In old times, marriage at a young age was normal.
May 31, 2006, 3:37 AM
K
[quote author=Invert link=topic=15092.msg153468#msg153468 date=1149028567]
Re-Post:
Is that not a liberal idea to lower the age limit of legal sex age? It's sure not a conservative one.
[/quote]

Is that why Kansas, a predominantly conservative state, until recently had no minimum marriage age? Good thing they set the new bar at 15 years old after a 14 year old from Nebraska married a 22 year old man in Kansas.
May 31, 2006, 4:57 AM
CrAz3D
[quote author=Rule link=topic=15092.msg153484#msg153484 date=1149045543]
[/quote]

Too bad the justice system isn't controlled by physically abusive angry mobs acting emotionally and in the heat of the moment, ignorant of the situation they are taking it upon themselves to dole out punishment for.  Because if it were, things would be so much more humane, fair and reasonable -- true justice  ::).

[/quote]Physical abuse is the assault, the punishment is the community coming together to teach the assaulter(?) a lesson.
May 31, 2006, 6:12 AM
Zakath
Mob justice is not real justice.

If the same mob decided that somebody's shoes were offensive and beat the hell out of the person, that would be justice too by your definition.
May 31, 2006, 6:47 PM
CrAz3D
[quote author=Zakath link=topic=15092.msg153508#msg153508 date=1149101222]
Mob justice is not real justice.

If the same mob decided that somebody's shoes were offensive and beat the hell out of the person, that would be justice too by your definition.
[/quote]But there had been a real crime committed....they didnt beat the guy because he was queer or wore black shoes with brown socks...they taught him that he shouldnt beat up women
May 31, 2006, 11:47 PM
Zakath
Yes, and? What if there hadn't been? What if they thought a crime was being committed and it was actually role play or something?
May 31, 2006, 11:51 PM
Grok
Unless I am misunderstanding, they are not wishing to commit criminal acts, but forming a party to get laws changed so that their desired activities, although to us perverse, are no longer criminal.  As Arta said, you don't want to react by suppressing that speech, but by speaking loudly and voting against it.

Throughout our own history all sorts of things were illegal that are legal now, AND things illegal now that were legal before.  You cannot possibly tell me that you, Invert (since you posted this), believe that today's existing law is equivalent precisely with your morality.  If you were, I can only draw the conclusion that you are extremely fortunately to live in a country state and locality where the laws were tailor-made for your existence, OR that you have formed your own morality based on existing law.

And what do you do with your morality with the laws change?  Thirty years ago homosexuality was perverse, illegal, and people went to jail for life due to repeated offenses of committing those crimes.  Now they are no longer crimes, and conservatives and liberals alike are defending the rights of homosexuals to have consensual adult sex.

As Adron pointed out, this is not so obviously a liberal or conservative issue.  Besides I'd think that forming a party to address the laws through the correct channels is much more a conservative thing than liberal.  In my experience liberals try to get lawmakers to change laws for them by massive demonstrations, not by political activity.
May 31, 2006, 11:58 PM
CrAz3D
[quote author=Zakath link=topic=15092.msg153529#msg153529 date=1149119489]
Yes, and? What if there hadn't been? What if they thought a crime was being committed and it was actually role play or something?
[/quote]They would've been stupid for role playing a physical assault/attempted rape play in a bar at night...
June 1, 2006, 12:57 AM
Rule
[quote author=CrAz3D link=topic=15092.msg153543#msg153543 date=1149123432]
[quote author=Zakath link=topic=15092.msg153529#msg153529 date=1149119489]
[/quote]They would've been stupid for role playing a physical assault/attempted rape play in a bar at night...
[/quote]

Does someone deserve to be beaten senseless and uncontrollably for being stupid in a moderately harmless way?

Do you really need someone to explain to you why letting mobs of people dole out "justice" would be an horrible idea? 
a) Different small groups of people will have different ideas about what is or is not a punishable crime. 
b) In the scenario you described, the mob had very little information (even though it may not seem like it to you), about the situation they took it upon themselves to punish someone for.  Hence, it is not unlikely that they will make a mistake. 
c) Who is to decide what is sufficient punishment for what crime?
etc.

By your logic, someone could go and beat your ex-girlfriend, and claim that it is justice.  In that person's books,
her crime could be punishable by death.  Again, by your standards, this is justice.  Perhaps now you are starting to see why we must have a regulated justice system and why yielding to a mob mentality, regardless of whether you feel it is righteous or not, is an extremely bad idea.

Depending on the details of the situation you described, I believe anyone who did more than to prevent the rape from happening (and notifying authorities) should face legal repurcussions for his/her actions. 

Really, you ought to think more about the big picture before forming such strong opinions on these sorts of things... It's not the first time I've seen it happen.
June 1, 2006, 1:20 AM
Grok
Rule is correct beyond measure.  When police interview witnesses to a crime, every witness saw something different.  Turn down the lights, turn up the music, give people beer, and ask them to be judge jury and executioner of an alleged crime in a bar?  Holy shit.

Crazed, are you a big fan of Steven Segal movies or something?  I really don't know how to read your perception of the world, but I tend to box you in as a neo-fascist.  It seems you want everyone in the world to perform their daily lives in precise accordance with a single standard measure, which happens to be the same as the one you think is correct, or have them extremely punished and call it appropriate for their sins.  Is this far off?
June 1, 2006, 1:32 AM
CrAz3D
a) This is a specific act I'm talking about rape attacks are all punichable.  And, since alot of rapists get away, isnt it good that this one was stopped?  They did a civil service, which to an extent would be required by some of them.

b) The mob heard a woman screaming & saw a man attacking her...in a bathroom in a bar, what other conclusion is there to draw?  Just sit by on the stool & call the police?  I'm sure the attacker would've had enough time to escape once he'd been disovered & that the police were on the way.

c) Society is who has always decided what punishment for what crime (execution is currently being introduced in S. Carolina for repeat child molesters).  They were society, they took it upon themselves to protect the woman, they possibly saved her from death or being raped.  In the same situation I'm sure you would try to stop the attacker as well, if not, well, I don't know what to say.

My ex didn't attack me, I don't see a real comparisson, I just see you trying to get me worked up & explode...boom, oooh. 

And again, the situation gives your a woman in a bathroom screaming, people checked on her & saw she was being attacked, they stopped him.  Civil service, a duty to help another human in need, thats what it was.
June 1, 2006, 1:44 AM
Grok
[/quote]

Except I'm pretty sure THIS is what you said -- not that they stopped the attack, but "beat the hell out of her attacker... its real justice."

What you're saying now is entirely different, that people acted responsibly and stopped a crime from being continued.  That is not justice, that is intervention.  Do you see the difference in what you said then and now?
June 1, 2006, 1:47 AM
CrAz3D
They stopped it from happening by beating him up (they probably didnt have to go as far as they did, but he didnt die or anything, so meh).  I didnt say one wasn't true, both were true.
June 1, 2006, 2:13 AM
Rule
[quote author=CrAz3D link=topic=15092.msg153548#msg153548 date=1149126245]
a) This is a specific act I'm talking about rape attacks are all punichable.  And, since alot of rapists get away, isnt it good that this one was stopped?  They did a civil service, which to an extent would be required by some of them.
[/quote]
What Grok said.

b) The mob heard a woman screaming & saw a man attacking her...in a bathroom in a bar, what other conclusion is there to draw?  Just sit by on the stool & call the police?  I'm sure the attacker would've had enough time to escape once he'd been disovered & that the police were on the way.
[/quote]
If it is reasonable to assume that someone is in situation where he/she is in serious danger, then (in my opinion), the best action would be intervene to try and remove the danger.  If a mistake is made, (e.g. a couple is drunk and roleplaying and the woman *wanted* to be beaten, etc), then apologize and leave (and at least no-one is seriously injured).  It is irresponsible and dangerous to take "justice" into your own hands and dole out punishment yourself.  As I said earlier, anyone who seriously injured the alleged rapist should be punished by law.

c) Society is who has always decided what punishment for what crime (execution is currently being introduced in S. Carolina for repeat child molesters).  They were society, they took it upon themselves to protect the woman, they possibly saved her from death or being raped.
[/quote]
We're not talking about society.  We're talking about mobs of people.  There is most certainly going to be conflicts between what individuals think is a punishable crime, and what society on the whole agrees is a punishable crime.

My ex didn't attack me, I don't see a real comparisson, I just see you trying to get me worked up & explode...boom, oooh. 
[/quote]
Nope, she cheated on you.  And if someone's "woman" cheats on "her man," in many middle eastern countries, he is applauded if he beats her to death -- to them that's justice.  Wait a minute, didn't you say thay you align your views on this with the middle east?
that isnt really extreme...most societies in the middle east would do it, I think.
[/quote]

I'm making a valid comparison, and showing you why it is irresponsible to give in to a mob mentality when deciding to punish someone for a "crime."  Without regulation, more mistakes will be made, ordinarily reasonable people may seriously hurt someone in the heat of the moment, and there would be major public
disarray over what certain mobs see as a crime.
June 1, 2006, 2:16 AM
CrAz3D
The government in the middle east would hurt the dude...the government is whom doles(?) out punishments like finger removal & such
June 1, 2006, 7:57 AM

Search