Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Politics | National Ensign

AuthorMessageTime
Grok
What is your take on the national ensign?  Is it a symbol or is it a concrete artifact like the Liberty Bell?

There are specific guidelines on its handling, including what to do with it becomes tattered or soiled.  Do you agree with these remedies?

When the ensign becomes soiled, there is a requirement to burn it.  I have always believed this the correct thing to do.  I have always believed the ensign to be a symbol of America.  As previous Boy Scout, and a patriot of America I come to expect that a soiled or tattered ensign be burned as the remedy most respectful of the guiding values of the nation.

Crazed what do you think?
May 5, 2006, 2:50 PM
Adron
What is a national ensign? An american flag? Would that mean you would participate in flag burning of the american flag?
May 5, 2006, 5:15 PM
Grok
[quote author=Adron link=topic=14932.msg152034#msg152034 date=1146849354]
What is a national ensign? An american flag? Would that mean you would participate in flag burning of the american flag?
[/quote]

Correct, as required by proper flag handling guidelines.
May 5, 2006, 5:35 PM
CrAz3D
I believe it is a symbol, it obviously isn't a single concrete artifact like the Liberty Bell, but it is apart of American history and life.

I agree with showing respect to our flag because it symbolizes our nation, our people, and has come to especially represent our soldiers.

I think there are multiple ways of burning it, too.  Maybe different ways for different types of worn/soildness, I'm not sure anymore...I read the flag etiquette once.

I'm an Eagle Scout, when in scouts we had ceremonies for retiring multiple flags that were flown in our city and were just old, now.

Regarding political statements made by burning the flag, I think its a good way to get people's attention  & get them pissed at you.  I've seen/read/& believe something along the lines of "I'll fight for your right to burn the flag legally, but I'll kick your ass"...kind of a thing, not those words exactly, though.  Do what you want with it, but expect consequences from people.
May 5, 2006, 5:43 PM

Search