Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Politics | Your take on the National Anthem in spanish.

AuthorMessageTime
CrAz3D
Some Britsh dude has produced a VERSION of OUR National Anthem.  It is not in English nor does it contain the same words (translated, of course).
This man claims he is doing it to bring America together, everyone I know is against it.

How can you change the song of our country and say you are trying to bring that same country together?

D.A. King (a man whom has been in the news alot lately) asked the producer (I forget his name) about the verse that mentions "breaking the chains"...the producer cleverly walks around the question and goes on to refer to the rockets & bombs mentioned in our anthem.  He says that those are things of destruction and he left that out (I think) to add "breaking the chains" to make everyone come together. 
I do believe the "rockets & bombs" talk is of our flag withstanding the onslaught of attacks...not about bombing the crap out of some God forsaken place.

I saw the Mayor of L.A. say he was disgusted by this version of our anthem, and he is a Democrat! :thumbsup: for this guy!

I swear, if Americans were as active as they were stupid we'd all have 10% body fat and be living nice and dandy.  The extreme ignorance of just about ANY issue is mind boggling.
May 2, 2006, 5:48 AM
Rule
I don't think there's anything wrong with translating the anthem into Spanish. 

Why does this matter?  Why are political figures even commenting on it? 

It's stupid that they'd change various parts of the anthem to be sensitive to certain issues, but then again, so what? 

It's not like the official anthem is changing or anything.  People can choose whether they want to listen to it or not.  No one is being forced to do anything.
May 2, 2006, 9:08 AM
JoeTheOdd
Until the day Spanish becomes an official language of the United States, which will be the day I become truely Canadian, I say that we can translate it all we want but it should not become an official translation, nor performed in place of the real one.

EDIT -
Well, except sports events where the teams are Spanish players.. then I guess it's ok.
May 2, 2006, 12:08 PM
Myndfyr
[quote author=J link=topic=14920.msg151803#msg151803 date=1146571704]
Well, except sports events where the teams are Spanish players.. then I guess it's ok.
[/quote]

Then we'd probably sing their national anthem, not ours.
May 2, 2006, 1:53 PM
CrAz3D
[quote author=Rule link=topic=14920.msg151802#msg151802 date=1146560935]
I don't think there's anything wrong with translating the anthem into Spanish. 

Why does this matter?  Why are political figures even commenting on it? 

It's stupid that they'd change various parts of the anthem to be sensitive to certain issues, but then again, so what? 

It's not like the official anthem is changing or anything.  People can choose whether they want to listen to it or not.  No one is being forced to do anything.

[/quote]
The point is that he took something American and made it unAmerican trying to call it American
May 2, 2006, 2:09 PM
Myndfyr
How is it un-American?
May 2, 2006, 3:18 PM
CrAz3D
Our national anthem talks about America surviving, his song, I believe, removes the words "And the Rockets Red Glare, the bombs bursting in air, Gave proof through the night, That our Flag was still there."...or part of that.  It replaces those words with "It's time to break the chains."  This is obviously points at the current political situation, this guy must be making $$$ off this song.

Making money is very American, changing an American 'tradition' (because I cant think of a better word) isn't very American

May 2, 2006, 3:31 PM
Myndfyr
You know the US State Dept. had published a Spanish version of the song as early as 1919?
May 2, 2006, 6:05 PM
Grok
Agree with Rule, and that's nice tidbit of info there MyndFyre .. good find.

I honestly do not know what has happened to American kids in their schools to cause them to become such ignorant, racist, prejudiced, provincial, whiny jerks.  Perhaps there has always been this percentage around but their voices were not heard because the majority of people respect humankind and attempt to give respect to any respectful person, regardless of their heritage, language, skin color, religion, gender, or political beliefs.

Maybe what we're seeing now is widespread proliferation of electronic platforms such as forums which allow even people like Crazed to demonstrate his vile hatred and fear of anything not exactly like himself, his country, his people, his language, his song, his flag, and his truck.

The National Anthem has its own history based in the struggle against a kingdom that the people of that day believed was tyrannical.  The song honors the perseverance of the militia fighting for their beliefs in freedom and the sovereignty of the individual and of the American colonies.  Sure it was written in English, and later put to music, but its the meaning of the words that are important, not the performance or the language of the words.

The American national anthem should be accessible to all people, everywhere, who want to understand American history.  As far as I'm concerned, it should be recorded in every known language and distributed with a chapter on our country's birth.
May 2, 2006, 7:00 PM
TehUser
[quote author=Grok link=topic=14920.msg151823#msg151823 date=1146596404]
Sure it was written in English, and later put to music, but its the meaning of the words that are important, not the performance or the language of the words.
[/quote]
Just to nitpick, it was already put to music.  It was originally an old English (British) beer drinking song called To Anacreon in Heaven.  Although I've found some evidence that suggests Key's intent was to write a poem and that poem just happened to match the meter of the drinking song, I find that claim unlikely.
May 2, 2006, 8:45 PM
CrAz3D

I honestly do not know what has happened to American kids in their schools to cause them to become such ignorant, racist, prejudiced, provincial, whiny jerks.  Perhaps there has always been this percentage around but their voices were not heard because the majority of people respect humankind and attempt to give respect to any respectful person, regardless of their heritage, language, skin color, religion, gender, or political beliefs.

Maybe what we're seeing now is widespread proliferation of electronic platforms such as forums which allow even people like Crazed to demonstrate his vile hatred and fear of anything not exactly like himself, his country, his people, his language, his song, his flag, and his truck.

The National Anthem has its own history based in the struggle against a kingdom that the people of that day believed was tyrannical.  The song honors the perseverance of the militia fighting for their beliefs in freedom and the sovereignty of the individual and of the American colonies.  Sure it was written in English, and later put to music, but its the meaning of the words that are important, not the performance or the language of the words.

The American national anthem should be accessible to all people, everywhere, who want to understand American history.  As far as I'm concerned, it should be recorded in every known language and distributed with a chapter on our country's birth.
[/quote]
I agree that the national anthem should be accessible to all, however, I believe it should be the true national anthem and not some rewritten work.  I don't like the idea that it is in Spanish, but the fact that words have been changed is ridiculous.
[quote]but its the meaning of the words that are important, not the performance or the language of the words.[/quote]
Then why should we accept changes to the words, changes that eliminat some things and add others?

[quote]The song honors the perseverance of the militia fighting for their beliefs in freedom and the sovereignty of the individual and of the American colonies.[/quote]Kind of ironic, if that is the true meaning of it, that these illegals are singing it then, don't ya think?  They are destroying American sovereignty yet at the same time supporting it?

And, out of curiosity, why do you say I fear/hate things that aren't like me?  I strongly disagree with some stuff, hate stuff that needs to be hated, and fear when fear is necessary, but I believe I do it differently than you suggest.
(p.s. you forgot to mention my 1987 Accord that, in terms of gas using, is quite friendly ;) </mood-lightener>
May 2, 2006, 9:27 PM
Arta

[/quote]

QFT. I totally agree with your whole post.
May 2, 2006, 10:20 PM
Myndfyr
[quote author=CrAz3D link=topic=14920.msg151827#msg151827 date=1146605250]
[quote]The song honors the perseverance of the militia fighting for their beliefs in freedom and the sovereignty of the individual and of the American colonies.[/quote]Kind of ironic, if that is the true meaning of it, that these illegals are singing it then, don't ya think?  They are destroying American sovereignty yet at the same time supporting it?
[/quote]

Let me highlight what Grok said:
[quote]The song honors the [...] sovereignty of the individual[/quote]
May 2, 2006, 10:25 PM
CrAz3D
It does say that, however, it also says the American colonies which are now American states. 

Also, couldn't it be argued that by them (illegals) intruding they are intruding upon my sovereignty?  I am an American, I vote for the people that pass laws, the laws they pass are mine, when someone breaks those laws they are offending me.  When they break the laws they are intruding on my sovereignty as an individual who chose to send whomever to Washington to make such laws that are being broken.

May 3, 2006, 1:55 AM
JoeTheOdd
As far as I'm concerned, it should be recorded in every known language and distributed with a chapter on our country's birth.
[/quote]

Sindarin!

A! ped, car-e tra, an heria-calad uin minuial
[Oh! Say, can-you see, by beginning-light of dawn]

ha gelir ammen eglerio an heria-calad?
[It happily we praise by beginning-light]

Ha land taeg a calad tinu godref deleb auth
[It broad line and light star through horrible battle]

or-ram ammen tra gelir rinc!
[Over wall we see gay move]

a phillin caran cened, [bomb] dram am ned gwelwen
[and arrow red sight, [bomb] blew up in air]

anna-thenid godref daw, [flag] ennas
[gave true through night, flag there]

Too lazy to translate the last two lines tonight.
May 3, 2006, 3:11 AM
Topaz
This reminds me of that big issue about Muhammed's words being originally spoken in Arabic, and so it was blasphemous(?) to translate it into other languages (this is a longstanding debate, i think...).
May 5, 2006, 5:45 AM
LW-Falcon
Crazed why do you refer to Spanish speaking people as "illegals"? About the translation of the song, I don't see anything wrong with it, more people can sing our national anthem in their own language now.

Its the same thing as reading a bible, bibles have been translated into many languages, and I haven't heard of people complaining about breaking the "holiness" of the scripture yet. I think Crazed has too much nationalism or however you say it.

Couldn't the "its time to break the chains" part mean something like breaking the chains Great Britain put on its colonists in America?
May 5, 2006, 10:53 AM
CrAz3D
When I've said illegals I've meant illegals, it is appropriate.

[quote author=CrAz3D link=topic=14920.msg151827#msg151827 date=1146605250]
[/quote]

[quote author=CrAz3D link=topic=14920.msg151849#msg151849 date=1146621337]
Also, couldn't it be argued that by them (illegals) intruding they are intruding upon my sovereignty?
[/quote]

Each time I've said it and meant it, they are illegal.  Also, its all illegal imigrants in general, but mostly Mexicans (I don't think they're refered to as Spanish...I think Spaniards are Spanish people)
May 5, 2006, 2:11 PM
Rule
[quote author=Falcon[anti-yL] link=topic=14920.msg152023#msg152023 date=1146826386]
I think Crazed has too much nationalism or however you say it.
[/quote]

'Jingoism' is more precisely what Crazed practices.  Many leaders, including Hitler and Mussolini, have tried to instill this sort of nationalism in a group of people in order to fuel irrational support for war motions, or to facilitate other dark agendas.

[quote Author=dictionary.com]
jin·go·ism        n.
Extreme nationalism characterized especially by a belligerent foreign policy; chauvinistic patriotism.
[/quote]
May 6, 2006, 4:05 AM
CrAz3D
Whats wrong with wanting to keep America on top?
May 6, 2006, 4:41 AM

Search