Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Web Development | CSS Question.

AuthorMessageTime
Invert
Does anyone know the equivalent style for cellspacing attribute that you use with the <table> tag if there is one.
May 30, 2003, 6:28 AM
Invert
Found it on w3.com its "border-spacing". The problem is I can't get it to work :(

I set "border-collapse: separate; border-spacing: 1px" which is the proper way to make it work according to w3c but still no luck. Maybe it's an IE thing?

*shrug*
Any ideas would help...
May 30, 2003, 8:38 AM
Invert
Update:
It turns out to be IE after all; the latest version of IE does not fully support CSS2. Netscape supports the border-spacing style with no problem I don't know if it's fully CSS2 compliant but it seems to be more than IE.

I am now forced to use the deprecated "cellspacing" because of IE with hopes that I could still validate as XHTML 1.0 Strict DTD. >:(
May 30, 2003, 9:56 AM
Yoni
You could make it use cellspacing for IE, border-spacing for non-IE. Either by checking the user-agent on the server side, or using conditional comments (an IE only feature).
May 30, 2003, 10:19 AM
Grok
padding
padding-bottom
padding-left
padding-right
padding-top

IE 5.5 and below does not support inherit, but supports all else in CSS1&2. Only NS6+ supports inherit. I don't know about IE6+.

IE5 and IE5.5 support border-collapse and table-layout (auto and fixed).

border-spacing "specifies the distance between adjacent cells' borders". Is this what you want, or are you looking for padding between the cell content and its own border?
May 30, 2003, 11:30 AM
Invert
I thought I made it clear that I needed something equivalent to cellspacing, that something is border-spacing. Padding is the equivalent of cellpadding; I knew that and was not asking for it.

http://macedition.com/cb/resources/abridgedcsssupport.html

Yoni, I'm not going to do anything special to accommodate a particular browser user. This is why we have W3C and standards.
May 30, 2003, 8:55 PM
Grok
[quote author=Invert link=board=22;threadid=1479;start=0#msg11157 date=1054328117]Yoni, I'm not going to do anything special to accommodate a particular browser user. This is why we have W3C and standards.
[/quote]

That means you will not be using ASP.NET, which automatically detects the client browser and writes different HTML for different targets.
May 31, 2003, 12:35 AM
Invert
I'm not using ASP.NET for this project. I am using ASP with XHTML.
You are saying that ASP.NET automatically changes HTML code even if it's not part of ASP.NET code? I don't get it, please explain.
May 31, 2003, 1:25 AM
Dumb_Canadian
[quote author=Invert link=board=22;threadid=1479;start=0#msg11179 date=1054344338]
You are saying that ASP.NET automatically changes HTML code even if it's not part of ASP.NET code? I don't get it, please explain.

- I believe he's refering to ASP.NET's HTML / Web Controls. Here's a breif introduction to HTML/Web Controls I found. Should explain the technologies quite nicely, IMHO:

The ASP Column - HTMLControl and WebControls in ASP.NET

Not unlike ASP, you can quickly jump out of ASP.NET to output static client-side content if you wish.

[/quote]
May 31, 2003, 4:29 AM
Invert
Unlike Grok said, I can still use ASP.NET and not do anything special to accommodate a particular browser user.
May 31, 2003, 7:49 AM
Undeference
There is no browser that fully supports any version of css. Currently, most browsers do not even claim to support css2. My suggestion is this, USE CSS ONLY FOR THINGS THAT PLAIN HTML CANNOT DO. Cellspacing is part of html and therefore should be used from html. NOT css.
June 2, 2003, 6:19 PM
Dumb_Canadian
Or you could simply use CSS level 1, instead of tables:)
June 3, 2003, 6:14 AM
Grok
[quote author=Undeference link=board=22;threadid=1479;start=0#msg11386 date=1054577980]
There is no browser that fully supports any version of css. Currently, most browsers do not even claim to support css2. My suggestion is this, USE CSS ONLY FOR THINGS THAT PLAIN HTML CANNOT DO. Cellspacing is part of html and therefore should be used from html. NOT css.
[/quote]

I disagree with you, and agree with Invert. Programmers should create programs which adhere to published standards as much as possible, so that browser makers can manufacture better browsers, and so that content can be viewed in as many endpoints as exist. The w3 consortium makes great effort to produce solid web definitions. The browser wars in the IE3 and NS4 days caused w3c to take a "wait-and-see" position, with regards to what MS and Sun come up with. Once that stabilized, w3c took a leadership role and selected the more mature definitions of each element created during the wars. In other words, they declared winners, like MS's <object> element definition, and adopted them (with tweaks) as standards.

If all you want to do is write crappy code that causes browsers to work extra hard to figure out what you mean, then none of what I said here matters to you. If you want to be part of the solution, then study the standards. new best practices, and w3c recommendations so you can implement great webs that browsers can render quickly and accurately.

Browsers are bloated because they try hard to render anything anywhere that crappy web designers have written.
June 3, 2003, 12:02 PM
Invert
Good point Grok.

[quote author=Undeference link=board=22;threadid=1479;start=0#msg11386 date=1054577980]
[/quote]

Obviously he missed the fact that I am using XHTML and not HTML.
This village idiot has no idea what XHTML is all about and does not know that it is designed to separate presentation attributes from the mark up leaving that job to CSS (that's why CSS were invented). The presentation attributes were even deprecated in HTML 4.01 and are obsolete in XHTML.

[quote author=Undeference link=board=22;threadid=1465;start=0#msg11388 date=1054578786]
I am a scriptor on another forum (and a professional web designer - don't ask or I kill you), and I do not have enough time to post as in depth posts as I post on the other forum, so what I say here may seem moronic.
[/quote]

He claims to be a professional web designer. My question is; who would employ this idiot to make a website, another idiot?

What you say here may seem moronic because you are a moron.
June 3, 2003, 8:55 PM
St0rm.iD
Personally, I think the coolest document format would be XML and CSS if they could make it a bit more powerful.
June 4, 2003, 12:52 AM
Invert
XHTML = HTML + XML
XHTML is the same format as XML
June 4, 2003, 3:03 AM

Search