Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Free time? Test my project!

AuthorMessageTime
K
This semester I took a .NET special topics class to pick up some easy credits and an easy good grade.

Project completion time is coming up soon, and I want to get some input and/or bug squashing done for my project, which is a chat service with instant messaging, group whiteboard, and whatever other features I manage to squeeze in in the next two weeks.

Screenshot

Download Client

Notes: The ClickOnce installer requires Internet Explorer (I know, ew) or the use of the FirefoxClickOnce extension. 

If you don't have the .NET Framework 2.0, the installer will download and install it for you.

Currently I have the server running at 70.58.10.119.
April 16, 2006, 11:32 PM
hismajesty
We needed this for T&T Online a few months ago. If we start that up again maybe iago will use this instead.

Wait, can .net stuff be run on WINE?
April 17, 2006, 1:23 AM
K
you can run .NET programs using mono
http://www.mono-project.org

With that said, the client will not run under the current version of mono because the current version does not completely implement some of the new controls in .NET 2.0.

The server will ALMOST run under mono.  As soon as the Asynchronous Socket::EndReceive() is implemented, the server should run great.
April 17, 2006, 1:36 AM
Myndfyr
Hey, cool man.  I might want to implement this in a general client project I have going.  Do you have protocol documentation?
April 17, 2006, 4:32 AM
K
I have some rudimentary stuff written up -- notes that I used when I was developing -- but nothing solid, since I've been screwing with the protocol as I added and modified features.

I'll probably write some more detailed documentation up when I start putting together my paper / presentation.
April 17, 2006, 4:54 AM
bethra
Damn, I wish my Uni's Comp Sci program was this cool. >_<;
April 17, 2006, 9:33 PM
K
Just realized the server hasn't been up because my computer has been going into power save mode.  Sorry.
April 17, 2006, 11:39 PM
rabbit
I demand a server!
April 19, 2006, 1:21 AM
K
You know, you can use the server I listed in the first post...
April 19, 2006, 2:08 AM
JoeTheOdd
I think he means he wants a server for himself, as in a program.
April 19, 2006, 3:35 AM
K
[quote author=J link=topic=14784.msg150813#msg150813 date=1145417739]
I think he means he wants a server for himself, as in a program.
[/quote]

I know what he means, but that's not going to happen until I work some of the bugs out.
April 19, 2006, 3:39 AM
rabbit
Drat.  I really want to see this.
April 24, 2006, 10:55 PM
K
After I give my presentation (this week or next) I'll probably make the full source code for the client, server, and helper application(s) available.  Not everything is implemented that I wanted to do, and some stuff could certainly be done better, so we'll see.
April 24, 2006, 11:13 PM
rabbit
Hm.  Okay.

I am just compelled to tinker....gyah!
April 25, 2006, 2:43 AM
shout
What langauge is this in? C#? C++.Net?

I noticed you used Socket::EndReceive() so I am guessing C++.Net.
April 26, 2006, 3:35 AM
K
It is written in C# /.NET 2.0

Not sure why I used the :: operator in my above post -- Maybe to make it clear that it was a static method and not a class method? *Shrug*
April 26, 2006, 3:55 AM

Search