Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Computer Support Issues | Questions on Booting up Linux

AuthorMessageTime
Ender
I've got a string of questions related to booting up linux when partitioning your hard drive and getting a new hard drive are not options.

1) Does anyone know if the Anaconda installer for Red Hat Fedora Core 4 provides an interface for partitioning your hard drive during installation if it detects no partitions?
2) Are there any BIOS problems that I could run into if I booted knoppix from a CD and didn't install it on my hard drive?
3) Knoppix doesn't require reformatting the hard drive, does it? I'm almost positive it doesn't, as there is so much talk about booting knoppix on non-linux systems without having to do any preparation.
4) Can the same be done with Fedora Core 4 or is it necessary to install it on your hard drive and reformat your hard drive?

Edit: topic and content modified because I had my original questions answered and I now have new ones.
April 13, 2006, 4:36 AM
Quarantine
I didn't even know this was possible..
April 13, 2006, 5:11 AM
JoeTheOdd
1. Never used Anaconda or RedHat, but in both Ubuntu and Slackware there has been the option. In Slackware, you have to run fdisk before you run setup, but in Ubuntu the installer just comes up and partitioning is a step.

2. You mean using a LiveCD as your main OS? That's a pretty weird idea, but it shouldn't cause any BIOS problems. It'd get annoying as hell having to reconfigure your entire system each time you reboot, but it would work in theory. If you mean you ran it once, I can't see any reason a problem could come along.

3. Knoppix is a LiveCD distribution. You stick the disk in and start from it, boom, you're in Linux. It's like booting from a system disk (floppy) on a much bigger scale (somewhere around 400:1 =p).

4. FC4 is an installed distro, so nope.
April 13, 2006, 8:04 AM
Myndfyr
I'm pretty sure Slackware can be instaled on a FAT disk, can't it?
April 15, 2006, 10:08 PM
JoeTheOdd
I don't see why you'd want to, but I guess so.
April 15, 2006, 10:58 PM
Myndfyr
[quote author=J link=topic=14766.msg150642#msg150642 date=1145141897]
I don't see why you'd want to, but I guess so.
[/quote]

For the precise reason that they made it an option: in case you want to dual-boot Windows and Linux on the same machine without repartitioning.
April 20, 2006, 8:34 AM

Search