Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Re: I need to be able to send offline messages

AuthorMessageTime
warz
Anyone have any ideas on how to send offline messages? I'm making a buddy of mine a simple program, in which he wants to be able to send messages to himself from his PC/Phone thing he has. He can download and run single applications, but cannot install stuff like ICQ, or an email client.

Anyways, I was going to simply find some ICQ code on pscode.com, and tell him to make himself an ICQ account. Then, he could send himself ICQ messages from his phone. I'm not sure why he needs this but he says it'll help him remember stuff, I dunno.

I only know of ICQ allowing you to receive offline messages. None of the ICQ code works on pscode anymore, though. I then tried to find some free SMTP server that allowed sending anonymous email, or just any email. Those are not easy to come by.

I'm stuck, what other options are there? (that are easily insertable into a small program)
April 12, 2006, 7:39 AM
peofeoknight
He could run his pc as an smtp, or some other type of server.
April 12, 2006, 3:32 PM
JoeTheOdd
net send [ip here] Hello!
April 12, 2006, 5:04 PM
Twix
[quote author=J link=topic=14755.msg150493#msg150493 date=1144861445]
net send [ip here] Hello!
[/quote]
What did that have anything to do with a cell phone?
April 12, 2006, 5:39 PM
JoeTheOdd
Ugh, stupid me for not comprehending the first post before replying! =p

Yeah, SMTP server on his computer would do it.
April 12, 2006, 5:44 PM
Myndfyr
I'm surprised such a sophisticated phone doesn't include any messenger (notably AIM) service.  Sending text messages will almost universally cost less than using internet access.
April 12, 2006, 7:07 PM
hismajesty
[quote author=MyndFyre[vL] link=topic=14755.msg150501#msg150501 date=1144868841]
I'm surprised such a sophisticated phone doesn't include any messenger (notably AIM) service. Sending text messages will almost universally cost less than using internet access.
[/quote]

All you need is a phone that CAN send text messages to use the AIM service, you don't have to have internet.
April 12, 2006, 7:14 PM
warz
[quote author=MyndFyre[vL] link=topic=14755.msg150501#msg150501 date=1144868841]
I'm surprised such a sophisticated phone doesn't include any messenger (notably AIM) service.  Sending text messages will almost universally cost less than using internet access.
[/quote]

Well, the story goes like this. My buddy works at a car rental place that another friend of mines dad owns. Lost items come in every day, found in vans. One of those palm pilot looking phones, with the touch screen and windows ce or whatever on it. It remained unclaimed for a good month or so. My friend finally was able to take it home. He did some crazy research, or whatever, and found out you can remove the original software from it and install some a strange hacked version of windows ce but without the support for the phone features. The phone isn't his service, and I guess he would have rather fucked with the phone than sold it on ebay like I would have, haha. Anyways, either his install is messed up or the windows thing wont let him install applications such as AIM, and whatever. It cannot text message because there's no service provider or txt msg support. There's also no internet explorer. It is able to connect to the internet, though, via wireless internet.

Anyways, another question about this SMTP server I downloaded. I'm on a LAN at some college apartments. I'm hosting this server on a random port that I'm probably sure is unused. I cannot get the program I've setup though to see the SMTP server on the network. I know my internet ip, my lan ip and such. Shouldn't simply trying to connect to the internet IP on the correct port work? It doesn't seem to be.
April 12, 2006, 7:43 PM
CrAz3D
Does your apartment block ports & such?
April 12, 2006, 8:15 PM
rabbit
I know that when I tried to setup some servers on an old box of mine, I couldn't get outside connections even though my router was setup correctly.  As it turns out, my ISP had a big router for everyone in the area.  It might be the same for you.  Try talking to the college IT guys.
April 12, 2006, 9:01 PM
Topaz
If you can access sites, then write a script to pass messages over to whatever protocol
April 13, 2006, 1:41 AM

Search