Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Politics | 10yr old girl protests school dress code over mini skirt

AuthorMessageTime
CrAz3D
http://pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/education/s_440643.html

I support her in her protest.  I don't believe she should be wearing that at such a young age or in school, but I do think that the school should have a dress code that paralells what is law in that city and also keeps out articles of clothing that might start some sort of extreme confrontation.

Let all the little girls wear the mini skirts.  However, one little perverted boy is bound to look up the girl's skirt when she doesn't have her legs closed, when she complains I believe she ought to be prosecuted for public indecency (& maybe the little boy for being a peeping tom, if he was putting forth effort to sneak a peek).

School isn't a place to teach values, it is a place of academic learning and enforcement of community standards.  The girl wants to show off her underwear (God I hope she is wewaring soome)...then she can end up in prison & show it to everyone.

Y'all support the girl?
April 6, 2006, 9:39 PM
hismajesty
Um. That's retarded. I've support school uniforms since second grade, and this is just more of a reason why they're needed.
April 6, 2006, 9:50 PM
CrAz3D
[quote author=hismajesty[yL] link=topic=14711.msg149986#msg149986 date=1144360245]
Um. That's retarded. I've support school uniforms since second grade, and this is just more of a reason why they're needed.
[/quote]
Uniforms limit the child's degree of expression & uniquity.  I also agree that the uniforms can keep some "law & order" in place.  The uniforms are an "easy way out" for the school system to keep control of the kids, they need to bring back corporal punishment, not banned these clothes and those clothes.
April 6, 2006, 9:56 PM
HdxBmx27
Few things,
Its not a uniform like everyone prolly thinks, its a dresscode, everyone still gets to wear w/e they want as long as it falls into the guidelines.
Honestly, this isnt a big deal, just wear a skirt insted of a mini-skirt.
Also @Crazed
If you read the artical, its a squart (skirt w/ shorts)
So all your perverted comments are just stupied and dont effect this artical.

~-~(HDX)~-~
April 6, 2006, 10:21 PM
Mephisto
LOL @ uniforms, wow...I can't believe there's actually teenagers that exist who would want school uniforms...tsk tsk
April 6, 2006, 10:23 PM
CrAz3D
[quote author=HdxBmx27 link=topic=14711.msg149992#msg149992 date=1144362093]
Few things,
Its not a uniform like everyone prolly thinks, its a dresscode, everyone still gets to wear w/e they want as long as it falls into the guidelines.
Honestly, this isnt a big deal, just wear a skirt insted of a mini-skirt.
Also @Crazed
If you read the artical, its a squart (skirt w/ shorts)
So all your perverted comments are just stupied and dont effect this artical.

~-~(HDX)~-~
[/quote]
Trust brought up the uniforms.

Skirt instead of miniskirt is besides the point for the chick.

If they let girls we squarts that short oughtn't they let them wear skirts that short?
April 6, 2006, 10:26 PM
HdxBmx27
[quote author=CrAz3D link=topic=14711.msg149994#msg149994 date=1144362416]
If they let girls we squarts that short oughtn't they let them wear skirts that short?
[/quote]
No, because of the pervertedness you stated earlier.
And before you ask, its fairly easy to tell squarts from miki-skirts.

wearing squarts prevents the 'peeping toms' from possibly seeing anything.
~--~(HDX)~-~
April 6, 2006, 10:32 PM
CrAz3D
[quote author=HdxBmx27 link=topic=14711.msg149995#msg149995 date=1144362753]
[quote author=CrAz3D link=topic=14711.msg149994#msg149994 date=1144362416]
[/quote]
No, because of the pervertedness you stated earlier.
And before you ask, its fairly easy to tell squarts from miki-skirts.

wearing squarts prevents the 'peeping toms' from possibly seeing anything.
~--~(HDX)~-~
[/quote]yeah, I had missed the squart part (since it was only mentioned once opposed to the mini skirt being mentioned multiple times).

I suppose these are long enough to keep their butt from hangin out too.
I wonder what the policy is on the length of shorts.
April 6, 2006, 10:39 PM
Myndfyr
If the parents don't care that their kid wants to be a little whore, tough shit.
April 6, 2006, 11:37 PM
PaiD
I agree with Craz3d 100%
April 6, 2006, 11:42 PM
HdxBmx27
[quote author=CrAz3D link=topic=14711.msg149996#msg149996 date=1144363148]
[/quote]
For our school it is judged by the arm/torso length of the girl. the hem must be lower then the tips of her fingers when streched down.
That usually ends up mid-thigh, so its cool.
hehe I love being a guy, dont have to worry about this shit(much).
~-~(HDX)~-~
April 6, 2006, 11:49 PM
CrAz3D
[quote author=HdxBmx27 link=topic=14711.msg150009#msg150009 date=1144367347]
[quote author=CrAz3D link=topic=14711.msg149996#msg149996 date=1144363148]
[/quote]
For our school it is judged by the arm/torso length of the girl. the hem must be lower then the tips of her fingers when streched down.
That usually ends up mid-thigh, so its cool.
hehe I love being a guy, dont have to worry about this shit(much).
~-~(HDX)~-~
[/quote]Our elem. school busted dudes alot for baggy pants hangin too low
April 7, 2006, 12:25 AM
shout
Trust hates the individual!
April 7, 2006, 2:56 AM
Arta
Did I just read Crazed saying that corporal pubishment should be reintroduced into schools?

Additionally, suggesting that a girl should be punished for indecency because a boy was looking at her inappropriately is outrageously sexist.
April 7, 2006, 11:56 AM
hismajesty
The majority of crimes are crimes of opportunity. Undoubtedly they both should be punished.
April 7, 2006, 1:24 PM
CrAz3D
[quote author=Arta[vL] link=topic=14711.msg150052#msg150052 date=1144411017]
Did I just read Crazed saying that corporal pubishment should be reintroduced into schools?

Additionally, suggesting that a girl should be punished for indecency because a boy was looking at her inappropriately is outrageously sexist.
[/quote]
Uhm, I think corporal punishment (or something much more extreme than the "write ups") is needed.  Suspension is ridiculous, you stay at home for a few days...it might have some influence on kids that are regularly decent people but not for the little deliunquents running around in schools.

Also, as for the little boy being a peeping tom...I shoul've explained it in more detail.  Girls with skirts obviously have to keep their legs closed/crossed so they're not flashing people.  If the girl can't seem to keep her self unexposed she should be charged.  If the little boy(or other girl) just happens to notice it then there should be no punishment...if the little boy TRIES to look he should be charged as well.

Its very extreme, but parents don't raise the kids anymore, parents have stripped most authority from the schools, so all I can see that we're left with is the legal system.
"It takes a community to raise a child"...I agree with that slogan, but the schools don't have the authority & some parents just don't step up to raise their kids.
April 7, 2006, 2:10 PM
Arta
The theory that beating people makes them behave better pretty much went out of the window with the Victorians. It's dangerous, ineffective, and misguided, not to mention unethical.

In fact, it's such a patently absurd suggestion that I really have no interest in discussing it.
April 7, 2006, 3:44 PM
CrAz3D
Corporal punishment isn't beating...it is a physical punishment opposed to time out or "reasoning" with your kid.

It went out of fashion when people began associating spanking with child abuse which is ever so recently.  As a kid I was never beat, but I sure was spanked.

What would you define beating & corporal punichment as?
I see beating as a criminally striking a person with intent to cause physical damage.  Corporal punishment intends to inflict pain to help people learn that they shouldn't do whatever it was that they just did.

You can't compare a smack on the butt or hand to a closed fist to the head, they aren't the same.

April 7, 2006, 5:00 PM
Mephisto
Look, it doesn't really matter since Corporal punishment will never be instituted in public schools again.  Do you honestly think if it was that a student would accept the punishment?  They'd probably fight back with the teacher if anything.
April 7, 2006, 7:56 PM
CrAz3D
[quote author=Mephisto link=topic=14711.msg150084#msg150084 date=1144439781]
Look, it doesn't really matter since Corporal punishment will never be instituted in public schools again.  Do you honestly think if it was that a student would accept the punishment?  They'd probably fight back with the teacher if anything.
[/quote]They used to, because they were raised right.

There is a school in California? now that the principal has instituted a public humiliation treaetment thing for kids that don't turn in work and misbehave.
The parents and teachers have all said that it has helped the kids alot
April 7, 2006, 8:16 PM
Quarantine
Hell, if a teacher touches me then we have problems. Major problems.
Corporal punishment doesn't work, never has and never did.

Just kick the kid off any sports, suspend him and after multiple suspensions then if still not effective schedule some parent meeting. Parents are the only one who can lay down the law, not the school. Their job is to inform the parent of what their child is doing.

Additionally suspensions seem to have a good effect here, sure it doesn't help much afterwise but there is some fear of getting caught around here. As with anything, it just makes students smarter when doing bad things.
April 7, 2006, 9:53 PM
CrAz3D
[quote author=Warrior link=topic=14711.msg150092#msg150092 date=1144446791]
Hell, if a teacher touches me then we have problems. Major problems.
Corporal punishment doesn't work, never has and never did.

Just kick the kid off any sports, suspend him and after multiple suspensions then if still not effective schedule some parent meeting. Parents are the only one who can lay down the law, not the school. Their job is to inform the parent of what their child is doing.

Additionally suspensions seem to have a good effect here, sure it doesn't help much afterwise but there is some fear of getting caught around here. As with anything, it just makes students smarter when doing bad things.
[/quote]
If the parents cared & were decent to begin with then there would be no need for suspension or parent-teacher meetings.
Alot of kids here that get suspended skip class alot anyway so it doesn't matter to them one way or another.
Corporal punishment used to work.  Having the fear of being humiliated and spanked in school isn't fun...a free 2-3 days off from school is a nice break.
April 7, 2006, 10:55 PM
Quarantine
I wouldn't blame the parents for a kid being an idiot..like I said my parents are great and I still fuck up in school. It's who you hang with/the people you're around.

Corporal punishment works no better than the system we have today does, you know except withought the uneeded force. 
April 8, 2006, 12:25 AM
CrAz3D
Parents raise the kid to know what is right & wrong, the kid screws up because the kid hasnt learned well enough from their parents
April 8, 2006, 12:48 AM
JoeTheOdd
You would think spending hour upon hour in a church would stop me from bringing knives to school. You'd be wrong.
April 9, 2006, 7:19 PM
CrAz3D
[quote author=J link=topic=14711.msg150266#msg150266 date=1144610349]
You would think spending hour upon hour in a church would stop me from bringing knives to school. You'd be wrong.
[/quote]
#1 Why do you take knives to school?
#2 It is how you were raised is why you disobey the rules.
April 9, 2006, 7:35 PM
Myndfyr
[/quote]
No, I'd think common sense would stop most people from bringing knives to school.  Evidently you're just a moron.
April 9, 2006, 9:13 PM
Grok
[quote author=MyndFyre[vL] link=topic=14711.msg150272#msg150272 date=1144617236]
[/quote]
No, I'd think common sense would stop most people from bringing knives to school.  Evidently you're just a moron.
[/quote]

I'm apparently a moron too.  Twenty years ago if you brought a knife to school the vice principal or teacher would  tell you to put it in your locker until you go home.  Nobody ever stabbed anyone.  Nobody brought guns to school, though you would see the occasional hunting rifle or shotgun in some redneck's gun rack of their pickup.

Kids weren't all fucked up.  They weren't given the option to be fucked up.  Nobody's momma was a crack-head and school's didnt teach that the meaning of history is in how you feel about it.  Subjects were taught as education, and not as social political programming agendas.  You studied 80% core math science languages and physical education, usually 4 years of each except PE which was at least 2 years.  Nobody had "majors" in high school which distracted them from learning.  I could go on forever about the crap schools that you're all in, and it would go right over your heads.  You're so convinced that you're in better schools because they have computers, and majors, and you're taking advanced calculus in the 9th grade.  Well whoop-de-doo, you're also getting shot up by your classmates.  Congratulations.

I'll take moron.  Thanks.
April 11, 2006, 8:45 PM
The-Rabid-Lord
She looks about 13 or 14 in that picture of her :-\. No miniskirts for under 16's I say.
April 11, 2006, 9:24 PM
CrAz3D
[quote author=Grok link=topic=14711.msg150433#msg150433 date=1144788321]
[quote author=MyndFyre[vL] link=topic=14711.msg150272#msg150272 date=1144617236]
[/quote]
[/quote]

I'm apparently a moron too.  Twenty years ago if you brought a knife to school the vice principal or teacher would  tell you to put it in your locker until you go home.  Nobody ever stabbed anyone.  Nobody brought guns to school, though you would see the occasional hunting rifle or shotgun in some redneck's gun rack of their pickup.

Kids weren't all fucked up.  They weren't given the option to be fucked up.  Nobody's momma was a crack-head and school's didnt teach that the meaning of history is in how you feel about it.  Subjects were taught as education, and not as social political programming agendas.  You studied 80% core math science languages and physical education, usually 4 years of each except PE which was at least 2 years.  Nobody had "majors" in high school which distracted them from learning.  I could go on forever about the crap schools that you're all in, and it would go right over your heads.  You're so convinced that you're in better schools because they have computers, and majors, and you're taking advanced calculus in the 9th grade.  Well whoop-de-doo, you're also getting shot up by your classmates.  Congratulations.

I'll take moron.  Thanks.
[/quote]Different times, different issues.
You can't live in the past, wake up and accept reality.
April 11, 2006, 9:28 PM
Grok
[quote author=CrAz3D link=topic=14711.msg150436#msg150436 date=1144790890]Different times, different issues.
You can't live in the past, wake up and accept reality.
[/quote]

Thank you for confirming my point.  Baaa-aaa-aa.  You've "accepted your reality" and thus have already lost.  Good game.
April 11, 2006, 9:43 PM
CrAz3D
Where am I to live if it is not in reality?

If the government is not allowed to prosecute law breakers how are we to keep crackheads from existing?  If the government cannot teach kids decent moral values in school how are we supposed to have decent citizens? 
If the governing body has no control over people what do you think will happen to the lame brained ones?...they end up doing drugs & having litters of children exposing these kids to the hell that is their parents' world.
April 11, 2006, 9:54 PM
Grok
Wow.
April 12, 2006, 12:43 AM
CrAz3D
Yeah, wow.
I don't believe the government should legislate values and stuff, I was just asking.

But, without values the country ends up with moral scum (crackheads, pimps, drug dealers, etc.).  That is why times are different than when you were in school, the values of our country changed.  You can't expeect time to stand still, but you have to work at helping us maintain some sort of morality.
April 12, 2006, 1:22 AM

Search