Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Boot Camp - Macs do Windows too

AuthorMessageTime
Lord_Vegito
[quote]More and more people are buying and loving Macs. To make this choice simply irresistible, Apple will include technology in the next major release of Mac OS X, Leopard, that lets you install and run the Windows XP operating system on your Mac. Called Boot Camp (for now), you can download a public beta today.[/quote]

For more information click here.

Personally I find this a neat idea. I've been considering buying a Mac for quite some time now, this will definately seal the deal if it works out good.

Anyone have any opinion on it?
April 6, 2006, 4:29 AM
LoRd
It's not going to be as "clean" as it sounds.  I'm sure there are going to be a hefty number of compatability problems.
April 6, 2006, 4:41 AM
kamakazie
[quote author=Lord[nK] link=topic=14703.msg149932#msg149932 date=1144298498]
It's not going to be as "clean" as it sounds.  I'm sure there are going to be a hefty number of compatability problems.
[/quote]

Like? So far everyone has been reporting great success.
April 6, 2006, 5:13 AM
peofeoknight
Because now mac is turning into high class dell with x86. Why the hell would anyone pay for a mac and then not run their os? The os is designed for that hardware, windows isn't going to be able to come close in performance.
April 7, 2006, 3:54 AM
Trance
I never thought this day would come. I'm curious to see if they'll allow people to use OS X on normal PC's.
April 7, 2006, 4:27 AM
JoeTheOdd
Too late. You can download Darwin (the BSD core) and install FreeX86 on it, and it's basically MacOS X without the nice windowing system.
April 7, 2006, 10:38 PM
Myndfyr
[quote author=Trance link=topic=14703.msg150035#msg150035 date=1144384047]
I never thought this day would come. I'm curious to see if they'll allow people to use OS X on normal PC's.
[/quote]

It's doubtful.  Apple is primarily a hardware company.
April 8, 2006, 1:06 AM
crankycefx
Isn't the new Mac Intel architecture going to -suck- ass?  e.g. -- companies like Adobe refusing to remake their products for that new architecture?
April 8, 2006, 2:03 AM
Myndfyr
[quote author=cefx- link=topic=14703.msg150125#msg150125 date=1144461831]
Isn't the new Mac Intel architecture going to -suck- ass?  e.g. -- companies like Adobe refusing to remake their products for that new architecture?
[/quote]

Well from what I've heard, people who have used BootCamp are causing an uproar because the performance on the Mac hardware for Windows is very far superior to your run-of-the-mill mass-produced PC.

OS X has a program to run programs for PowerPC processors on the Intel architecture, and the majority of code on the platforms should be source-code compatible.  I can see possible issues with endianness and file fornats, but nothing too terribly bad if companies (like Adobe) were already building for both platforns.
April 8, 2006, 2:30 AM
Quarantine
Adobe isn't initially going to build CS2 for MacOSX.

Reason: Bad dev tools. Straight from the horses mouth that was their answer when asked Why.
They choose Windows dev tools over Mac ones.
April 8, 2006, 4:42 AM
peofeoknight
fuck mac. They just cant comply with accepted industry wide standards so fuck them. If they would just comply with everyone else they would make a lot more profit.
April 8, 2006, 4:53 AM
Myndfyr
[quote author=quasi-modo link=topic=14703.msg150138#msg150138 date=1144471985]
fuck mac. They just cant comply with accepted industry wide standards so fuck them. If they would just comply with everyone else they would make a lot more profit.
[/quote]

Kind of like how Linux complies with the industry standards set by Windows?

It's called "competition."  Get over it.
April 8, 2006, 5:15 AM
peofeoknight
[quote author=MyndFyre[vL] link=topic=14703.msg150141#msg150141 date=1144473343]
[quote author=quasi-modo link=topic=14703.msg150138#msg150138 date=1144471985]
[/quote]

Kind of like how Linux complies with the industry standards set by Windows?

It's called "competition."  Get over it.
[/quote] I'm not talking about OSs. Im talking about hardware. Sorry I said mac instead of apple. Its not called competition, its caled failior to compete by not adopting the standards. If I get a mac and want to upgrade I get to buy all my parts direct from apple or maybe I have to buy special apple ram from a third party that does not fit into a standard ddr socket, woot.
April 10, 2006, 1:08 AM

Search