Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Programming | Programming projects

AuthorMessageTime
Insolence
I can't think of any fun/challenging projects to do in C#.

Anyone got ideas?

I've done a chat server/client, Diablo II text OCR, B.Net tourney manager with PHP interface, infix -> postfix converter, (very simple)2D RPG engine, and lots of little bits of D2 bots back in the day.

I'd like to think I'm upper level beginner/intermediate. 

I haven't really used generics, or lots of nifty features of C#, a project including those would be gravy.
April 1, 2006, 11:04 PM
Yegg
I was writing a server and client program in C# to work on my network some time ago. The server would remain on one computer, and the client could be used on multiple computers on the network. For me, this project had its purpose. It was originally a small Python script(s) to allow me to send documents or images from one computer to the "server computer" (the one with the printer) so that they could be printed. However I later wanted to improve on it.

Maybe you could write something similar. It was pretty fun working on it, especially with MS Visual C# 2005 Express.
April 1, 2006, 11:38 PM
Insolence
Yep, I already wrote something sort-of similar.  A simple chat program (IRC like) with channels/commands and such.

I used what I learned from making a little chat bot as the premise :)

Thanks for the reply.
April 2, 2006, 12:21 AM
Rule
Write a program that recognizes when to use an implicit finite difference scheme (and further determines how to implement this scheme) to solve a given partial differential equation as opposed to a standard gauss-seidel iterative method?
April 2, 2006, 12:41 AM
Insolence
[quote author=Rule link=topic=14654.msg149572#msg149572 date=1143938484]
Write a program that recognizes when to use an implicit finite difference scheme (and further determines how to implement this scheme) to solve a given partial differential equation as opposed to a standard gauss-seidel iterative method?[/quote]If only I knew what that meant, I'll look into that; however I said "fun," and my last experience with math and programming (matrices extra credit) wasn't especially fun :)

Thanks for the suggestion, like I said I'll look into that.
April 2, 2006, 2:42 AM
rabbit
Implement the CP Algorithm.  I've yet to see a good, simple program for that.
April 2, 2006, 2:44 AM
Insolence
I looked at both of those sites (wikipedia'd the differential stuff) and it's a little (way) ahead of my math skills.  To be taught math I really need a teacher and to physically(sp) see what's going on, through examples and such.  Just reading about it is quite a bit harder; not to complain, maybe that's something I should work on since it's a personal problem.

Good suggestions guys, keep'm coming :)

EDIT:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cayley-Purser_algorithm The wiki page on that is just nuts, very interesting.  Only 16  years old when she did it too.
April 2, 2006, 3:37 AM
Rule
[quote author=rabbit link=topic=14654.msg149582#msg149582 date=1143945877]
Implement the CP Algorithm.  I've yet to see a good, simple program for that.
[/quote]

It's broken....

April 2, 2006, 7:36 PM
rabbit
As a public key system it's broken, but it still works as private key.
April 2, 2006, 8:25 PM
Insolence
Last night I think I came up with a couple projects to do:
- Forum spammer: Not really a spammer; it finds random old threads and grabs a random post from them and throws it into a 'World Record Thread' at a forum I frequent: www.zelaron.com
- Starcraft BO Generator: Measure and compare build order timings, IDK if I'll be able to do this; this'll be a hell of a challenge
April 2, 2006, 9:44 PM

Search