Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Something odd

AuthorMessageTime
David
I don't know much about CD-Keys and there properties, or what is or isn't capable with them.  I just thought about this the other day, about 4 or 5 years ago me and a buddy used to play Starcraft on the same key, we even had it to the point where we had 3 people using the same key, does anyone find that odd, or is it something that was possible?
March 27, 2006, 1:50 AM
rabbit
That was called "Spawning", where a CD-Key could be used by up to 8 people.  Spawn games could run without the CD.  The catch was that Spawns had no single player and could only join games created by the one running the master (IE: with the CD, and not a Spawn install).  Battle.Net restricted Spawns to public channels after people started abusing them for massloading purposes (where 3 proxies and 4 keys would yield 28 bots).
March 27, 2006, 3:03 AM
FrOzeN
About 4 years ago, me and my friend. We were sharing some of our wc3 keys at the time. And I logged on with the same key as he had logged on with, not noticing I checked with him how he had loaded so many, seeing as I was using his Cd-Keys.

Once we fiqured out that we could both share the same Cd-Key, we just switched list of all our Cd-Keys and managed to both be sharing the same Cd-Key. Though, if I tried using the same Cd-Key twice it wouldn't work, nor with other friends. Only with him and me.

After about 4 months this no longer worked, and about 15 of the keys were voided/banned.

We weren't using Spawn or anything, maybe it was just some strange glitch occurrence in Battle.net.

[EDIT] To clarify, the Cd-Keys that were voided/banned weren't misused. They were just for loading idle bots in our channel and such. Not flooding or anything. In other words, Battle.net clearly banned them for some unknown reason.
March 27, 2006, 6:43 AM
rabbit
1 key could be used twice with a proxy.
March 27, 2006, 12:41 PM
David
We weren't using Spawn, we were both using the regular client, and both had installed on the same key.  And we also joined other peoples game, just followed each other.
March 27, 2006, 11:01 PM
rabbit
[quote author=rabbit link=topic=14599.msg149213#msg149213 date=1143463277]
[/quote]I get that.  A "proxy" is technically just another IP.  Two people can use the full version with the same key if their IP's are different.  Thanks.
March 27, 2006, 11:51 PM
David
[quote author=rabbit link=topic=14599.msg149228#msg149228 date=1143503509]
[quote author=rabbit link=topic=14599.msg149213#msg149213 date=1143463277]
[/quote]I get that.  A "proxy" is technically just another IP.  Two people can use the full version with the same key if their IP's are different.  Thanks.
[/quote]

Der, sorry, wasn't thinking.
March 30, 2006, 10:10 PM

Search