Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Battle.net Bot Development | Bot Ranking System

AuthorMessageTime
DrivE
I'm looking for what people applaud as the best type of access system. I get so many differing opinions I'm basically just having to ask bot developers what they consider the best to use as far as how each ones advantages and disadvantages play into the overall success of the bot. I'd apprceiate the input of all programmers and very experienced bot users on this question. Keep in mind the ease of use and ease of programming/intigration into the bot itself. Thank you.

~DrivE~
May 27, 2003, 2:41 PM
______
The Easiest way to put ranks in my opinon would be the numbers, but i like flag ranks better
May 27, 2003, 3:02 PM
OcTaViuS
i'd have to say flags cause its an ezier to understand system
May 27, 2003, 3:23 PM
SNiFFeR
I like both, so you can get a exact amount of access needed for a person.
May 27, 2003, 3:59 PM
MrRaza
I like to use the group method.

Create a group, say $members
then have the ability to add flags to that group.
.creategroup $members +RFOS

have an add command, .add Mr.Raza $members
.find *Mr.Raza

-> Mr.Raza $members[RFOS]
May 27, 2003, 5:53 PM
Yoni
This is a very old debate.

I prefer flags since they're better than ranks in that you can combine different types of access. For example, if a rank of "1" gives access to the command ".a", and a rank of "2" gives access to the command ".b", there's no way to give access to the command ".b" only, which is sometimes desirable.

Having never used Chewbot, I don't know how Bacca combined flags and ranks so can't comment on this.
May 27, 2003, 6:22 PM
CrAz3D
The Master/Access thing on DooMBoT ( which I think you're refferin' to cuz I never seen another one like ) is flags, just with little words instead of flags.

Master=M
Access=L
& 2 other I forget
May 27, 2003, 7:00 PM
Arta
I like a combination of flags and groups. Groups could be considered ranks if the clan in question operated that way.
May 27, 2003, 8:05 PM
DrivE
Thank you all and by all means keep posting people I'd like as much input as I can possibly get. And yes I was referring to how DooMBoT was set up, just like how FiRe BoT is set up with the Master/Access sytem (granted FiReBoT has a few more flags just as DooMBoT has a few more than just Master/Access)

~DrivE~
May 27, 2003, 10:36 PM
Etheran
Numbers are just to hard because there are a lot of different things you have to remember about the numbers. For example, you might have given banning access to 50+ and then you might accedently add safelisting as 51+. When you go to add somebody to your safelist by giving him 51, you are inadvertantly giving him acces to ban people.

I know this is a bad example, but you get the idea!
May 27, 2003, 11:40 PM
Zakath
I'm of the opinion that flags are superior to numeric rankings in virtually every way...the adminstrative client that we use in fe (c0ol's ShellBot), does exactly what Arta was talking about:

[quote][20:56:03] <From: *Fatal-Error> 1 User(s): zakbot ( %Admins : [AROGMTFSBL] )[/quote]

The ZeroBot system also works extremely well (I use one of Spht's ZeroBot-inspired modbots when I need such a bot).
May 29, 2003, 12:56 AM
c0ol
after a bit of field research, ive found groups to be the best possible way, but using flags becomes cumbersome when using groups. my new bot BCMD will incorperate groups of specific commands combined with attribute flags (like safe banned etc...) to describe a very custom level of access that u cannot achieve with flags. This does sound cumbersome to describe with the use of commands, which is why it has a webbased interface to modify user access as well as an inchannel command system.
May 29, 2003, 7:40 AM

Search