Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Computer Support Issues | Windows 98 Trouble

AuthorMessageTime
Ishbar
Well its been a while but i've finally gotten my hands on a Compaq Presario 5000 series 600Mhz CPU. Nothing special, I know. Yet it's better than not having one at all!

So turns out this thing is running Win98. Naturaly i'd just use my 80 gig in substitute of the 15 which harbor's such an horrendous OS. But unfortunately in the falling of my previous pc, the hard-drive lost all its information, leaving it useless.
...Now I have a Win2K update cd, but the damn thing isnt reading EITHER of my CD roms! One already previously came equiped but I put in a 58x DVD ROM/CD ROM Player as well.

Here's what im' talking about...

[img]http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/6135/dang7wt.png[/img]

I know the IDE cables function properly...I think. When I goto run an old Linux install, it boots from CD, but stops with some error talking about the CD-ROM and IDE cable..so Im not sure. Both Master Breakers are in, but I dont know if thats the problem...I mean, it shouldn't Be? Right?  :-\ Can anyone help! :(
March 19, 2006, 6:40 AM
warz
man thats a good picture
March 19, 2006, 8:03 AM
Topaz
One of the cdroms need to be master, and the other slave. Readjust your jumpers accordingly and it'll work fine.
March 19, 2006, 8:26 AM
Ishbar
Topaz! Never on a first date, that wouldn't be very gentlemen-like of me.  :P

I'll go and try that now..
March 19, 2006, 6:09 PM
MrRaza
Also the female ends on the IDE cables should be matched up correctly with what the current jumper state the CD-ROM is in.

ie, =------------------=---------------------= <-- ide cable
    MoBo            Master                    seconday slave.
  conn.              cdrom

This might not be the case for CD-ROM's but it is when working with hard drives.

Also i remember something with win98 about how it can only support harddrive sizes less then 32 GB in size, or that might be for Win95, meh.
March 20, 2006, 12:40 AM
Yegg
Rhys, I didn't pay attention to when you were connecting the CD-ROM, you're dog is too playful. However, did you only connect the IDE cable? There is another thing that needs to be connected, I don't know if you put it in or not. I'm referring to the newer CD-ROM that is in the pc.
March 20, 2006, 12:55 AM
MrRaza
The cords that generally only connect to cd-roms are

1. IDE cable
2. Power Cord
3. and a sound cord that goes either to your on-board sound card or the actual sound card itself in the PCI-slot
March 20, 2006, 1:06 AM
Newby
[quote author=warz link=topic=14545.msg148646#msg148646 date=1142755382]
man thats a good picture
[/quote]

Lmfao, you read my mind.
March 20, 2006, 1:31 AM
JoeTheOdd
[quote author=Ishbar link=topic=14545.msg148670#msg148670 date=1142791785]
Topaz! Never on a first date, that wouldn't be very gentlemen-like of me. :P

I'll go and try that now..
[/quote]

Might be worth noting that most CDROM drives will have MASTER/SLAVE/AUTO, and you can safely pick auto and expect it to work.
March 20, 2006, 2:19 AM

Search