Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Computer Support Issues | Computer fails to do anything

AuthorMessageTime
Topaz
I built a computer earlier today, for server purposes. After I pieced everything together, the computer boots but simply sits there. The hard drive initiates, but nothing happens. How would I be able to find out what part's at fault? I believe its the processor, but I'm not sure.
March 4, 2006, 7:10 AM
Yegg
I'm going to guess that the processor is the issue too. However other components could also have occured such an error.

I'm pretty sure that you didn't buy a used processor. So here are a few questions.

Did you happen to place the processor on a surface other than its static free bag or special plastic covering? Are you sure you didn't break/bend any prongs on the processor? Did you remember to fasten the processor to the motherboard via the "lever"?
March 4, 2006, 12:50 PM
Topaz
I suppose it is 'used': the processor is from my old computer. No, Yes, Yes.
March 4, 2006, 10:17 PM
Stealth
[quote author=Topaz link=topic=14422.msg147579#msg147579 date=1141456238]How would I be able to find out what part's at fault?[/quote]

Start taking them out or unplugging them until you get a BIOS screen, or at least some kind of beep/tone from the motherboard.
March 5, 2006, 3:53 AM
LordNevar
Do you get any video at all when you boot up? If not than that could be the problem. The video failing to initiate, I would try that first, than work backwards. Look on the motherboard, there should be a little green led next to the processor on the board, if that light is on than it's most likely not a processor issue.
March 6, 2006, 10:28 PM
MrRaza
Maybe its your power supply, possibly it is overloaded with all the components in your system. Also make sure your power supply is adequatly cooled.

The following is a list of PC problems that often are related to the power supply:

1. Any power-on or system startup failures or lockups
2. Spontaneous rebooting or intermittent lockups during normal operation
3. Intermittent parity check or other memory type errors
4. Hard disk and fan simultaneously failing to spin(no +12V)
5. Overheating due to fan failure
6. Small brownouts that cause the system to restart
7. Electric shocks felt on the system case or connectors
8. Slight static discharges that disrupt system operation
9. Erratic recognition of bus powered USB peripherals

Just about any problem can be caused by the power supply, so when weird things start to happen, look at your power supply first. I think these steps you should try will help,

1. Check the AC power input. Make sure the cord is firmly seated in the wall socket and in the power supply socket. Try a different cord.
2. Check the DC power connections. Make sure the motherboard and disk drive power connectors are firmly seated and are making good contact. Check for loose screws
3. Checkthe DC power output. Use a Digital Multimeter to check for proper voltages. (Be sure to use a DIGITAL mutlimeter and not the needle kind, as they put out 9 volts into the circuit that can cause damage to it, while the DMM's usually use 1.5 volts, which should be ok for electrical equipment.)
4. Check the installed devices that you have. Remove all boards and drives and retest the system. IF it works, add items back one at a time til you get a failure.
March 7, 2006, 12:45 AM
Topaz
They're all low-power components, and the PSU itself is 500 watts (probably enough for an SLi system, which I haven't got). The PSU works fine when swapped with my current system.

@LordNevar: There aren't any LEDs on my motherboard.
March 7, 2006, 3:52 AM
JoeTheOdd
I'm wondering what told the hard drive to spin up, and why the indicator light is on, but the processor is broken. I don't know how mobo's work, so that could be entirely possible, but I'm thinking it's a combination of a broken system speaker (absence of beep) and the video card (or slot?).
March 10, 2006, 1:43 AM

Search