Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Politics | Teacher on leave for making political comments

AuthorMessageTime
CrAz3D
I didn't like CNN's title so much, it leans one way a bit more than I think it should.
http://www.cnn.com/2006/EDUCATION/03/03/teacher.bush.ap/index.html

I was listening to a clip last night about this thing.  Some teacher in Colorado has been put on administrative leave because of his comments.
He is a "social sciences" teacher at Overland Highschool.  I don't know what exact class he teaches, though.

He isn't spouting anti-Bush speech, more like anti-America crap.  Talking about the US having the most WMD, how we can stop drug growing in Columbia but Iran (& somewhere) can't bomb us because we grow tobacco.  He sounded a little, well alot, stressed out when almost yelling this stuff in class.

[s]Currently, the teacher is filing federal suit, grounds being free speech![/s]

150 students walked out of class in regards to this matter.  Some shouted "Free Bennish", others said "Teach, don't preach".  From the video clip I just saw it looks like MAYBE 10 people actually gave a crap, the others just wanted a reason to walk out, lol.

SO, I guess my question is does this guy have a right (free speech) to be teaching his political views in class?  Does free speech extend into the classroom, for the teacher OR the students?
Shouldn't political speech be kept out of the class, or at least not have one view favored by the instructor publically?
March 3, 2006, 6:27 PM
hismajesty
I'm not sure of the legality of it, but it's certainly distasteful to preach to your students. I don't think he'll return to the school, he was wasting tax payers money by not teaching what he was supposed to. (I don't think anti-Bush propaganda is in any state-made curriculum.)
March 3, 2006, 11:01 PM
iago
[quote author=CrAz3D link=topic=14414.msg147523#msg147523 date=1141410458]
Talking about the US having the most WMD, how we can stop drug growing in Columbia but Iran (& somewhere) can't bomb us because we grow tobacco.  He sounded a little, well alot, stressed out when almost yelling this stuff in class.
[/quote]

So, is that not true?
March 4, 2006, 12:24 AM
CrAz3D
[quote author=iago link=topic=14414.msg147544#msg147544 date=1141431893]
[quote author=CrAz3D link=topic=14414.msg147523#msg147523 date=1141410458]
Talking about the US having the most WMD, how we can stop drug growing in Columbia but Iran (& somewhere) can't bomb us because we grow tobacco.  He sounded a little, well alot, stressed out when almost yelling this stuff in class.
[/quote]

So, is that not true?
[/quote]
I'm pretty sure we're the ones with the most WMDs, either us or Russia.
tobacco vs. cocaine is arguable I think.  If most of their tobacco comes from here, k.  But they should also make some laws against it before they start bombing us.

Also, its more of how/the context of what was said, not the factual basis of what was said.  There was also something about him comparing Bush to Hitler...I don't remember exactly what he said though.
Could be factual, but quite political.

I'd like to seem someone start arguing FDR was one of the worst US presidents ever & his policies were all (insert word caus eI cant think of it).
March 4, 2006, 12:46 AM
DarkMinion
[quote]I'd like to seem someone start arguing FDR was one of the worst US presidents ever & his policies were all (insert word caus eI cant think of it).[/quote]

Crap?
March 4, 2006, 1:26 AM
CrAz3D
[quote author=DarkMinion link=topic=14414.msg147553#msg147553 date=1141435599]
[quote]I'd like to seem someone start arguing FDR was one of the worst US presidents ever & his policies were all (insert word caus eI cant think of it).[/quote]

Crap?
[/quote]I guess, I'm not sure of exactly what word to use.
March 4, 2006, 1:28 AM
Topaz
It's not an issue of free speech here, its an issue of influencing the students way of thought (we're supposed to come up with our own conclusions, not be spoonfed ideals?), and I bet theres something about that in the contract he signed.
March 4, 2006, 3:59 AM
CrAz3D
[quote author=Topaz link=topic=14414.msg147564#msg147564 date=1141444752]
It's not an issue of free speech here, its an issue of influencing the students way of thought (we're supposed to come up with our own conclusions, not be spoonfed ideals?), and I bet theres something about that in the contract he signed.
[/quote]Exactly what I'm thinking.  I always thought teachers were supposed to be the most unbiased people of all so that we could develop our OWN thoughts, but be influenced by some extreme anti-American dude
March 4, 2006, 4:07 PM
Grok
Agreed.  I think we all want teachers to teach kids how to think independently, not to blindly follow an ideology, no matter who's it is.
March 7, 2006, 5:33 PM

Search