Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Re: What school are you going to?

AuthorMessageTime
Networks
As the 2005-2006 acceptance letters are coming in, I am pondering what school's you senior's this year have been accepted to or are planning on going to. Perhaps this thread will give insight to others who will be applying later and perhaps member's already enrolled in a college can give insight to prospective students. Feel free to express your thoughts in a respectful manner.

This is my list:
Arizona State University: Accepted (Scholarship)
University of Arizona: Accepted (Scholarship)
Purdue: Accepted
Texas A&M: Accepted
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign: Accepted
Georgia Institute of Technology: Accepted
University of Texas: Waiting
Michigan Ann-Harbor: Waiting
Northwestern: Waiting

My first choice currently is Georgia Tech however I am still waiting for more letters, just keeping an open mind. Does anyone have any insight in schools I've applied to?
February 26, 2006, 5:04 PM
St0rm.iD
cornell
February 26, 2006, 5:13 PM
Networks
[quote author=Banana fanna fo fanna link=topic=14371.msg147135#msg147135 date=1140973985]
cornell
[/quote]

Oooh, Very good school. :D
February 26, 2006, 5:16 PM
iago
University of Manitoba.  May be small-time, but I am very impressed with their Comp Sci program. 

February 26, 2006, 6:00 PM
K
University of Colorado
February 26, 2006, 7:09 PM
peofeoknight
[quote author=iago link=topic=14371.msg147139#msg147139 date=1140976815]
University of Manitoba.  May be small-time, but I am very impressed with their Comp Sci program. 

[/quote] 25,000 undergrad students is a small-time university?
February 27, 2006, 4:32 PM
iago
[quote author=quasi-modo link=topic=14371.msg147209#msg147209 date=1141057949]
[quote author=iago link=topic=14371.msg147139#msg147139 date=1140976815]

[/quote] 25,000 undergrad students is a small-time university?
[/quote]

Beats me.  But it's in Canada and nobody south of the border has ever heard of it.  It's almost entirely local students, I think. 
February 27, 2006, 5:59 PM
Grok
TAMU:  you really want to be an Aggie?

I respectfully reserve my rights to ROFLCOPTER you if you do. ;p
February 27, 2006, 6:11 PM
DarkMinion
For the love of God, don't be an Aggie.
February 27, 2006, 7:46 PM
jigsaw
ASU, So many hot fucking girls! and Lake Havasu isnt far. I mean you reeally have to think here, what do you want out of a college? A stupid piece of paper with your name on it? Or the hottest wife on the planet? Its shirts off year round, big blonde tan boobies, gotta love em!
February 27, 2006, 8:28 PM
Stealth
[quote author=K link=topic=14371.msg147144#msg147144 date=1140980943]
University of Colorado
[/quote]

I'm considering transferring to CU. How do you like it there?
February 27, 2006, 11:35 PM
Myndfyr
[quote author=jigsaw link=topic=14371.msg147225#msg147225 date=1141072096]
ASU, So many hot fucking girls! and Lake Havasu isnt far. I mean you reeally have to think here, what do you want out of a college? A stupid piece of paper with your name on it? Or the hottest wife on the planet? Its shirts off year round, big blonde tan boobies, gotta love em!
[/quote]

QFT.  jiggy, you're from the area?
February 27, 2006, 11:42 PM
Fr0z3N
Yale.
February 28, 2006, 12:05 AM
Topaz
[quote author=Fr0z3N link=topic=14371.msg147259#msg147259 date=1141085119]
Yale.
[/quote]

What, you want to go into law?

I intend on going to Cornell or CIT.
February 28, 2006, 1:51 AM
Yegg
I've got MIT on my list. My chances of getting in are very slim, I've heard about people with perfect SAT scores being rejected. My second choice is CMU, if that fails, I've got some local colleges I can choose from.
February 28, 2006, 2:02 AM
warz
haha, I like how you choose MIT then if that fails you revert to CMU/community colleges. As if there aren't any other universities worth your time.

Univ. of Texas @ Austin is a good choice, obviouslly. I went to TAMU last year, and hated it.. although I took a class taught by Bjarne Stroustrup, the designer of the C++ programming language.  He taught my engineering computer science course. I am now at Texas Tech where life revolves around fraternities and women. I enjoy it, a lot. Maybe my priorities aren't in the correct order, but then again, who really cares? I've got a 3.8 in an engineering degree plan. That satifies me. :-p
February 28, 2006, 6:18 AM
Networks
[quote author=warz link=topic=14371.msg147305#msg147305 date=1141107519]
haha, I like how you choose MIT then if that fails you revert to CMU/community colleges. As if there aren't any other universities worth your time.

Univ. of Texas @ Austin is a good choice, obviouslly. I went to TAMU last year, and hated it.. although I took a class taught by Bjarne Stroustrup, the designer of the C++ programming language.  He taught my engineering computer science course. I am now at Texas Tech where life revolves around fraternities and women. I enjoy it, a lot. Maybe my priorities aren't in the correct order, but then again, who really cares? I've got a 3.8 in an engineering degree plan. That satifies me. :-p
[/quote]

Ahh that's nice. I've heard that Texas A&M sucks from a lot of people, it's definetly my last choice, I'd rather go in-state then go there. I am 80% sure that I am going to gtech now. I am waiting for my last 3 acceptance letters before I really choose and I am really considering Illinois since that's a REALLY good engineering school, I believe better then gtech in under grad engineering and it's male to female ratio isn't 3:1 ;).

Yegg, I really wouldn't set my sights on MIT unless you're really a mathematical genius, I don't know your skill so I won't elaborate to much. They're plenty of great schools that meet with the MIT standard: Georgia Tech, Stanford, Berkeley perhaps. Also if you're a hardcore MIT fan I'd seriously look into Cal Tech, that's the closest you'll get to an MIT school but in nice weather, only around 250 students a year get into Cal Tech.
March 2, 2006, 1:30 AM
peofeoknight
[color=blue]--->[/color][color=orange]Auburn University[/color] [color=blue]<---[/color]

March 2, 2006, 6:41 PM
Mephisto
[quote author=quasi-modo link=topic=14371.msg147440#msg147440 date=1141324911]
[color=blue]--->[/color][color=orange]Auburn University[/color] [color=blue]<---[/color]

[/quote]

UCLA thx~
March 2, 2006, 8:33 PM
Disco
Having just got back from the movies:  Annapolis ^^
March 2, 2006, 9:30 PM
MysT_DooM
Rutgers
i go here, extremely fun school, where you can litterly find a party everyday.  Also there academics is pretty good there pharmacy program is hard to get into and thier engineering is a bit hard to.  They got lots of clubs and activites.
Plus its a pretty good price.
March 2, 2006, 9:38 PM
hismajesty
Virginia Union University

lol just kidding! They came to my school on Tuesday and for some reason my guidance counselor thought I'd like to watch their little presentation. Yeah, because I totalllly fit the demographic for that school.
March 2, 2006, 11:20 PM
jigsaw
find a school that isnt too fucking liberal or else your fuggin' education will be skewed... go to Cal Poly SLO where I went, 97.3% white. And as a county, have very conservative folks..... and their are hot girls lots of em, My buddy is the CEO of California Space Authority, he went there and he is obviously doing well for himself. As for me, I chose Military after my 3rd year of college.
March 3, 2006, 2:24 AM
kamakazie
[quote author=jigsaw link=topic=14371.msg147464#msg147464 date=1141352667]
find a school that isnt too fucking liberal or else your fuggin' education will be skewed... go to Cal Poly SLO where I went, 97.3% white. And as a county, have very conservative folks..... and their are hot girls lots of em, My buddy is the CEO of California Space Authority, he went there and he is obviously doing well for himself. As for me, I chose Military after my 3rd year of college.
[/quote]

Says more about the student than the institution. You should be able to explore the issues yourself and notice obvious bias.
March 3, 2006, 3:11 AM
hismajesty
[/quote]

I really agree. I want to go to Hampden-Sydney College. It's like 99% white and 100% Conservative. This is good for me because I want to major in Political Science and I won't have to change my opinion to suit the teacher just to get a good grade.
March 3, 2006, 10:06 AM
iago
[quote author=hismajesty[yL] link=topic=14371.msg147505#msg147505 date=1141380392]
[/quote]

I really agree. I want to go to Hampden-Sydney College. It's like 99% white and 100% Conservative. This is good for me because I want to major in Political Science and I won't have to change my opinion to suit the teacher just to get a good grade.
[/quote]

It seems to me that in college, exploring the opinions of the other side and understanding how you think would be far more valuable than having your personal biases reinforced.  It's a personal growth thing or something..
March 3, 2006, 4:29 PM
Networks
[quote author=hismajesty[yL] link=topic=14371.msg147505#msg147505 date=1141380392]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Wow, aren't we closed minded? I completely agree with iago, college is supposed to open your mind. You're in debate right Trust? You know that part of debating is understanding the other side.

I'd hate to go to an all Indian school let alone an all white school (if I was white). I like diversity, you meet different people. You won't grow as a person if you go to a school like that. (well at least for reasons like that)

Oh and word of advice, don't use Jigsaw's advice, he's a closed minded racist ass, but then again if that's what you want to be...
March 3, 2006, 10:03 PM
Rule
[/quote]

[/quote]

lol

"A selective private four year liberal arts college for men."  You forgot to say, 99% white, 100% conservative, 100% male.

And all of your opinions are set in stone right?.. I mean at the age of what, (16?) you've made up your mind on anything political. And it's just a coincidence that you happen to agree with your family's (even Grandpa's) point of view on almost everything.  No point in hearing very intelligent people articulate the other side.  They're wrong.

March 3, 2006, 10:15 PM
Mephisto
[quote author=Rule link=topic=14371.msg147528#msg147528 date=1141424126]
[/quote]

[/quote]

lol

"A selective private four year liberal arts college for men."  You forgot to say, 99% white, 100% conservative, 100% male.

And all of your opinions are set in stone right?.. I mean at the age of what, (16?) you've made up your mind on anything political.  No point in hearing very intelligent people articulate the other side.  They're wrong.

[/quote]

No, he lets the neo-conservative male/white/christian party of America make up his mind.
March 3, 2006, 10:42 PM
hismajesty
[quote author=iago link=topic=14371.msg147517#msg147517 date=1141403361]
It seems to me that in college, exploring the opinions of the other side and understanding how you think would be far more valuable than having your personal biases reinforced. It's a personal growth thing or something..
[/quote]

Everybody wants different things out of the college experience. You want open-mindedness, I want a six figure job.

[quote author=Networks link=topic=14371.msg147527#msg147527 date=1141423388]Wow, aren't we closed minded? I completely agree with iago, college is supposed to open your mind. You're in debate right Trust? You know that part of debating is understanding the other side.

Oh and word of advice, don't use Jigsaw's advice, he's a closed minded racist ass, but then again if that's what you want to be...
[/quote]

I'm a first place debater (multiple times) I think I know about debating. And, really, it's understanding what's wrong with the other side that wins.

[quote author=Rule link=topic=14371.msg147528#msg147528 date=1141424126]
lol

"A selective private four year liberal arts college for men." You forgot to say, 99% white, 100% conservative, 100% male.

And all of your opinions are set in stone right?.. I mean at the age of what, (16?) you've made up your mind on anything political. No point in hearing very intelligent people articulate the other side. They're wrong.[/quote]

Yeah, it's 100% male but there's a 4:1 female to male ratio on the weekends. The neighboring womens colleges (Sweet Briar, Randolph Macon Women's College, etc.) literally bus in women. They all want a piece of the Hampden-Sydney man. Plus one in ten become CEOs or Presidents of businesses, and they have a top notch political science program. HSC has graduated a president and numerous other politicians, and almost everybody goes into a white collar field. (Because of the alumni program, it's unmatched...they take care of everybody.) I've wanted to be an attorney since 3rd grade, and President since 8th.

And, yeah, my opinions are pretty much set in stone. I've formed the majority (if not all) of them myself, and I very rarely read Conservative party (or Democratic) literature (Mephisto.) My ideology is mostly economic, but I do lean conservative on social issues too.

If you grew up where I do, you'd want to go to a white/conservative school too. Hampden-Sydney does have some disrespectul things said about it on Urbandictionary, but nevermind that. My AP Statistics teacher graduated from there I think it was 3 years ago. He really enjoyed it and recommended I check it out after he found out I was interested.

kthx.

March 3, 2006, 10:50 PM
Rule
[quote author=hismajesty[yL] link=topic=14371.msg147533#msg147533 date=1141426227]
I've wanted to be an attorney since 3rd grade, and President since 8th. 
And, yeah, my opinions are pretty much set in stone.
[/quote]

Don't you realize how foolish you sound?  This has nothing to do whether I agree with your political opinions or not.  How can you make a proper decision about what you want to be in 3rd grade, and not reconsider?  As though all the data had come in by the time you were 8.  Most smart people in university are still finding out more about certain professions in an attempt to make a thoroughly researched decision about what they want to do.  I somehow doubt you did much research as an 8 year old.

Also, you're still very young.  It's really stupid to say that your opinions are set in stone at this stage of your life.  You say your ideology is "mostly economic,"but your probably know very little economic theory.  I probably know more about probability, economics and financial analysis than you do, even though I'm not interested in politics.  You're still young and have a lot more learning to do -- not letting that have an impact on your opinions seems beyond ridiculous.

One thing that bugs me about your "opinions" is you seem to project that all of them are "right." Hence, there is no point in hearing the other side, or reconsidering. Do you not realize that there are profs at these "liberal" universities (e.g. UBerkeley) who are a lot smarter than you are, who would disagree with your opinions on many things?  You somehow think you've seen all sorts of things that they haven't, or have considered things they aren't willing to consider?  You certainly don't seem willing to consider what they have to say.

[quote author=hismajesty[yL] link=topic=14371.msg147533#msg147533 date=1141426227]
If you grew up where I do, you'd want to go to a white/conservative school too. Hampden-Sydney does have some disrespectul things said about it on Urbandictionary, but nevermind that.
[/quote]

Yes, this is support for my point.  Notice how I made a comment about the "coincidence" between your point of view which seems to agree with "Grandpa's" and the whole family?

Maybe I would want to go to a conservative/white school if I grew up where you did.  You are saying that your environment conditions your political beliefs.  I should hope that I would try and minimize that sort of influence, not submit to it, like you seem to.  I am sure that if you had grown up in Finland, you'd be an extreme liberal. 

You've been conditioned.  When funny political quotes were being posted, most people just did that -- posted funny political quotes.  I noticed all of your quotes were of various people to the left of the spectrum embarassing themselves.  I'm sure you know lots of funny quotes of conservatives saying really stupid things.  Why didn't you post any of them?

I agree though, I don't think you will change.  I think it's a sad aspect of the human condition.
March 3, 2006, 11:07 PM
hismajesty
[quote author=Rule link=topic=14371.msg147536#msg147536 date=1141427265]
Don't you realize how foolish you sound? This has nothing to do whether I agree with your political opinions or not. How can you make a proper decision about what you want to be in 3rd grade, and not reconsider? As though all the data had come in by the time you were 8. Most smart people in university are still finding out more about certain professions in an attempt to make a thoroughly researched decision about what they want to do. I somehow doubt you did much research as an 8 year old.[/quote]

I'm sorry I was ambitious at an early age. Want to know what my choice college was in second grade? Yale. I remember saying how I wanted to go to Yale.

You're still young and have a lot more learning to do -- not letting that have an impact on your opinions seems beyond ridiculous.[/quote]

I'm fairly certain I'll be learning some stuff in college.

One thing that bugs me about your "opinions" is you seem to project that all of them are "right." Hence, there is no point in hearing the other side, or reconsidering. Do you not realize that there are profs at these "liberal" universities (e.g. UBerkeley) who are a lot smarter than you are, who would disagree with your opinions on many things? You somehow think you've seen all sorts of things that they haven't, or have considered things they aren't willing to consider? You certainly don't seem willing to consider what they have to say.[/quote]

Yeah, well I'm sure there is professors at "conservative" schools who are a lot smarter than me, who would agree with many of my opinions. What's your point? Just because they're liberal professors they are somehow better than agreeing conservative professors?

Notice how I made a comment about the "coincidence" between your point of view which seems to agree with "Grandpa's" and the whole family?[/quote]

Too bad you don't know my family. My grandparents are the only ones who are political. My parents are ignorant to politics, as many Americans are - and my aunt is liberal (which saddens my grandparents and I've seen my grandmother argue with her.)

Maybe I would want to go to a conservative/white school if I grew up where you did. You are saying that your environment conditions your political beliefs. I should hope that I would try and minimize that sort of influence, not submit to it, like you seem to. [/quote]

No I think you interpreted it the wrong way. My city is very large (second largest in the state), and it has a large amount of poverty and minorities, and of course crime. It's not the best place for me to get a great opinion of certain other people. I would, of course, like to seperate myself from this sort of thing. It just so happens that campus diversity is not a major player in my college search.

You've been conditioned. When funny political quotes were being posted, most people just did that -- posted funny political quotes. I noticed all of your quotes were of various people to the left of the spectrum embarassing themselves. I'm sure you know lots of funny quotes of conservatives saying really stupid things. Why didn't you post any of them? [/quote]

I don't know of any funny quotes of conservatives, except from Bush (but that's only because I have a desk calendar of Bush quotes.) Bush bashing (via quotes) is annoying to me because it's done so much and people take it so seriously. Why does it matter if a conservative or liberal said something funny or stupid?

You're right, I probably won't change. I haven't changed much my entire life, I'll continue to take the right side of issues, be it conservative or liberal. I'll take what makes sense...which is usually the conservative standpoint, but whatever.

And it's so retarded that this topic turned in to one focused on me and my politics. Seriously, this is ruining a good thread. All I did was post where I wanted to go to school, and why I wanted to. Why I want to go to school is my business, and if I don't care about diversity than so be it. You guys can go intermingle with opposing viewpoints and other races and a bunch of queers all you want, I don't really care if I do or not.

March 3, 2006, 11:47 PM
iago
[quote author=iago link=topic=14371.msg147517#msg147517 date=1141403361]
It seems to me that in college, exploring the opinions of the other side and understanding how you think would be far more valuable than having your personal biases reinforced. It's a personal growth thing or something..
[/quote]

Everybody wants different things out of the college experience. You want open-mindedness, I want a six figure job.
[/quote]
It's too bad that you don't mind being ignorant.  But there's not much I can say that'll change your mind, so I won't. 

And, yeah, my opinions are pretty much set in stone. I've formed the majority (if not all) of them myself, and I very rarely read Conservative party (or Democratic) literature (Mephisto.)
[/quote]
Hmm, so you say that republicans are better than democrats without even knowing a lor about what they stand for?  Again, I like to think that open-mindedness prevails, but I suppose not in your case. 
March 4, 2006, 12:20 AM
CrAz3D
New Mexico State University
I'm an NMSU Aggie, WHOO!

I'd like to attend UT for law school in a few years.
March 6, 2006, 12:55 AM
LW-Falcon
My #1 choice right now is UT Austin.
March 6, 2006, 2:03 AM
hismajesty
I've been getting a lot of mail from smaller colleges recently, and it's piling up. I'm going to start actually reading the letters instead of throwing them in a pile and start looking for more options. I'm probably going to end up going to a small (sub 3,000 pop) school, and that's what I want (unless I was going to some awesome large school, then I'd make concessions...)

And I want to stay in the south too, so that's something else I'm looking at. Preferably Virginia, but I'm sorta-kinda looking at College of Charleston which is in South Carolina. Of course, my Grandparents live in Florida so I might look at Florida schools...but probably not.

For my grad school I definitely want to go up North, however, as that's where I want to live. (Either in New England or Norther Virginia, either way it's North.) I'd like to work in New York or DC, so I want to have out-of-grad-school opportunities in those areas. :)

The college selection process is hard, especially when you don't have grades to match the "you're brilliant" comments people give you. Unfortunately it doesn't matter how qualified you actually are for a school if you don't have paper to prove it, which only makes this whole thing that much difficult.
March 6, 2006, 2:16 AM
Hitmen
[quote author=hismajesty[yL] link=topic=14371.msg147682#msg147682 date=1141611405]
The college selection process is hard, especially when you don't have grades to match the "you're brilliant" comments people give you. Unfortunately it doesn't matter how qualified you actually are for a school if you don't have paper to prove it, which only makes this whole thing that much difficult.
[/quote]
Errg, agreed.
March 6, 2006, 3:53 AM
peofeoknight
[quote author=Mephisto link=topic=14371.msg147442#msg147442 date=1141331638]
[quote author=quasi-modo link=topic=14371.msg147440#msg147440 date=1141324911]

[/quote]

UCLA thx~
[/quote] real desireable if someone lives on the east coast / in the south.

Auburn is a pretty conservative school, I see W the president stickers everywhere, and we are about 10% more conservative than the state of alabama as a whole, which means the university is no haven for liberalism by any stretch of the imagination. Most of my professors strike me as being conservative, though they are very professional and don't really let politics seep into non political classes. Auburn specializes in engineering, we are the only university in the nation with accredited wirless eletrical and wirless software engineering programs largely made possibly by samual ginn (ceo of vodafone), and there are massive scolarships for these programs that are administered pretty liberally. In state tuition is pretty affordable and right now I get in state even though I am from florida (it is a scolarship I have received). Auburn has an excelent engineering program as a whole but also excels in comp sci, architecture, pharm, business, vet, and a bunch of other stuff.
March 6, 2006, 5:14 AM
iago
[quote author=Hitmen link=topic=14371.msg147684#msg147684 date=1141617205]
[quote author=hismajesty[yL] link=topic=14371.msg147682#msg147682 date=1141611405]
[/quote]
Errg, agreed.
[/quote]

Schools up here take a different approach.  Anybody who graduates highschool (and even then, not necessarily necessary) can be accepted into the University of Manitoba/Winnipeg.  However, our first/second-year courses have a higher-than-normal dropout rate.  I personally prefer letting people try/fail than not letting them try.  Also, the University makes money on them :)
March 6, 2006, 5:25 AM
peofeoknight
[quote author=iago link=topic=14371.msg147692#msg147692 date=1141622759]
[/quote]
Errg, agreed.
[/quote]

Schools up here take a different approach.  Anybody who graduates highschool (and even then, not necessarily necessary) can be accepted into the University of Manitoba/Winnipeg.  However, our first/second-year courses have a higher-than-normal dropout rate.  I personally prefer letting people try/fail than not letting them try.  Also, the University makes money on them :)
[/quote] Does it create a housing / class size nightmare though?
March 6, 2006, 5:40 AM
Rule
When iago says "up here," he isn't referring to all of Canada. 
March 6, 2006, 7:03 AM
iago
[quote author=quasi-modo link=topic=14371.msg147698#msg147698 date=1141623619]
[quote author=iago link=topic=14371.msg147692#msg147692 date=1141622759]
[/quote]
Errg, agreed.
[/quote]

[/quote] Does it create a housing / class size nightmare though?
[/quote]
The vast majority of people live off campus.  I think that's the difference between a University and a College. 

And yeah, a few first year classes are pretty big.  But we just suck it up and get over it, knowing that second year will be smaller and 3rd and 4th year will be quite small.

[quote author=Rule link=topic=14371.msg147704#msg147704 date=1141628585]
When iago says "up here," he isn't referring to all of Canada. 
[/quote]
You're right, I don't know about the rest of Canada.  I was generalizing based on my city. 
March 6, 2006, 4:14 PM
hismajesty
[quote author=iago link=topic=14371.msg147730#msg147730 date=1141661693]
I think that's the difference between a University and a College. [/quote]

I'm fairly certain that the difference is that a University also has a graduate school while a College only has undergrad classes.

I had a meeting with my counselor today to talk about the ACT/SAT/Schedule for next year, etc. Apparently even with my low GPA, college is still attainable (even without junior college first) and she thinks I shouldn't have a problem getting into Hampden-Sydney. I think it's partly to do with me having very decent standardized test scores.
March 6, 2006, 7:27 PM
kamakazie
[quote author=hismajesty[yL] link=topic=14371.msg147743#msg147743 date=1141673234]

I'm fairly certain that the difference is that a University also has a graduate school while a College only has undergrad classes.
[/quote]

Dartmouth College has a graduate schools. There is really no difference except maybe size. Colleges are generally smaller, where universities are generally huge.
March 6, 2006, 10:43 PM
hismajesty
[quote author=dxoigmn link=topic=14371.msg147758#msg147758 date=1141685005]
[quote author=hismajesty[yL] link=topic=14371.msg147743#msg147743 date=1141673234]

[/quote]

Dartmouth College has a graduate schools. There is really no difference except maybe size. Colleges are generally smaller, where universities are generally huge.
[/quote]

I thought Dartmouth kept "College" for the tradition factor.

I know that Harvard basis their "College" and "University" off of what I mentioned earlier, but I don't know for certain how it works overall. That's just what I assumed.
March 7, 2006, 12:06 AM
iago
We have colleges on campus at the University of Manitoba.  They're just like other buildings, except that people live there.  So I drew the conclusion based on that. 
March 7, 2006, 12:46 AM
peofeoknight
Okay well like auburn has the college of engineering, college of veteranary medicine, college of whatever, we have lots of different colleges and then we have lots of departments too like physics and math. Basically here it is a college if it has its own building and a lot of different majors I think basically. Instead of a chair a college would have its own dean. Auburn is  large University comprised of colleges. However there are many small colleges that offer many different majors and have different departments. So the term college can apply to just like a school I guess (such as something like andrew college, a really pretty little two year private school in cuthbert, ga).

To me the term college generally applies to a small school, or a division in a very large school.
March 8, 2006, 1:17 AM
Forged
UTSA

In a few years I plan on going to UT Austin for law school.
March 8, 2006, 5:10 AM
Networks
[quote author=Forged link=topic=14371.msg147868#msg147868 date=1141794620]
UTSA

In a few years I plan on going to UT Austin for law school.

[/quote]

Oh really? I got accepted to UT but I don't really like Texas schools, I feel like I can do better or something to that affect.
March 9, 2006, 12:53 AM
Forged
I don't really want to move.
March 9, 2006, 3:27 PM
Networks
[quote author=Forged link=topic=14371.msg148005#msg148005 date=1141918062]
[/quote]

You'll be living on your own one day but if you're still reluctant I'd suggest going to a place where you know people providing the out-of-state school you want to go to is something you actually desire.

Also, I am now 90%-95% sure I am going to gtech. =)
March 10, 2006, 2:34 AM
peofeoknight
I hate atlanta :(

If you ride a bike... be sure to jain it up in every which way. When I visited them I just remember seeing wheels chained to bike racks because the idiots didnt chain their frame any and they had the quick release. Also always lock your doors. That campus has a very high crime rate.
March 10, 2006, 3:37 AM
K
[quote author=quasi-modo link=topic=14371.msg148042#msg148042 date=1141961859]

If you ride a bike... be sure to jain it up in every which way. When I visited them I just remember seeing wheels chained to bike racks because the idiots didnt chain their frame any and they had the quick release. Also always lock your doors. That campus has a very high crime rate.
[/quote]

What do you expect? Georgia Tech is in the middle of downtown Atlanta.  It's by far the most urban campus I've ever seen.
March 10, 2006, 7:20 AM
Forged
[quote author=Networks link=topic=14371.msg148039#msg148039 date=1141958057]
[quote author=Forged link=topic=14371.msg148005#msg148005 date=1141918062]
[/quote]

You'll be living on your own one day but if you're still reluctant I'd suggest going to a place where you know people providing the out-of-state school you want to go to is something you actually desire.

Also, I am now 90%-95% sure I am going to gtech. =)
[/quote]

I meant move out of state.  I don't live with my parents anymore...

My long time girlfriend and all my friends are here, why would I want to move when there is an extremlly good school close to me.
March 10, 2006, 3:46 PM
peofeoknight
[quote author=K link=topic=14371.msg148060#msg148060 date=1141975251]

[/quote]

What do you expect? Georgia Tech is in the middle of downtown Atlanta.  It's by far the most urban campus I've ever seen.
[/quote] A giant dome over the campus keeping it self contained... isolated from all of the bad elements of a campus in the middle of a metropolis but all the while still having the benefits of that location relative to the head quarters of many fortune five hundred companies.
March 10, 2006, 11:33 PM
Networks

[/quote]

That bike theft stuff occured everywhere at the University of Arizona, it's not surprising to me at all, I am sure it happens in other places. Gtech is very urban I must say but I doubt anyone is going to shank me and steal my money, you're just pussy get over it.
March 11, 2006, 2:31 AM
peofeoknight
[quote author=Networks link=topic=14371.msg148101#msg148101 date=1142044289]

[/quote]

That bike theft stuff occured everywhere at the University of Arizona, it's not surprising to me at all, I am sure it happens in other places. Gtech is very urban I must say but I doubt anyone is going to shank me and steal my money, you're just pussy get over it.
[/quote] Fuck getting mugged, how about someone breaks into your on campus or convenient to campus apartment while your gone for the weekend? That's always fun.
March 11, 2006, 5:37 AM

Search