Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Visual Basic Programming | Modifying Memory

AuthorMessageTime
Elneroth
I'm looking to expand my programming knowledge into modifying a process' memory. I have no idea how it's done and have no idea where to start. I'm looking at being able to change stored memory for other processes and such. An example being D2 Map Hacks and several other game hacks.

If anyone can point me to a tutorial or website that I can teach myself how it's done it would be very much appreciated.
I apologize if this is considered a 'spam' post.. it is just that I've been wanting to learn this for a very long time now and can't find any information.

Thank you in advance,
Elneroth (AKA Galdunn)
February 24, 2006, 1:56 AM
laurion
I cannot provide you information on how to do this, however, I think you would be better off attempting this in a different language (ex. C++).
February 24, 2006, 3:07 AM
l2k-Shadow
Link to WriteProcessMemory() .. and also look for other functions similar and you may be closer to your answer.
February 24, 2006, 4:36 AM
Elneroth
I started looking into this and discovered how to do basic memory editting with known addresses.
I was looking further and learned how they change every time.
I was wondering if anyone knows where to go to learn how to get the address every single time or how 'dynamic addresses' work.

Once again, thanks in advance.
And a side note.. Yes I have searched google.  ;)
February 24, 2006, 6:31 AM
Myndfyr
You're being unclear.  Are you seeking to overwrite data memory, or code memory?
February 24, 2006, 7:41 AM
Elneroth
I was planning on being able to change around things in other processes as, for example, certain gaming hacks do.
I see that every time you restart the process the memory address changes. I'm looking for somewhere that can teach me how memory offsets are found and how to do all of that so that an application can actually be coded without the user having to input the address every time. I'm still pretty unclear on what's going on and what to do.
February 24, 2006, 9:58 AM
Adron
Usually the memory address is in another memory location. That memory location may be fixed or moving, and if it is moving, its location may be in another memory location. How to find the right location is for this reason different in each specific case.

The answer can most likely be found by checking how the user finds the right address, then writing a program to do the same thing.
February 26, 2006, 1:25 AM

Search