Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Just Another Linux Thread

AuthorMessageTime
Ender
Yep, the title says it all. I've finally decided to get linux (I'm going to dual-boot). I'm planning on getting Ubuntu, but before I do I'd like some feedback. I did read this thread and got some good information from it. This thread that I am making, however, is geared towards comments on Ubuntu and what I want out of it.

I want to do a lot of programming on Ubuntu, such as Java, C++, and NASM. I also plan to get the Java SDK and JRE, GNU software, and Eclipse on it. I want a good command shell, an easy-to-install&use distro, and a nice look and feel. According to my research, Ubuntu has all of this. But what are your comments on this?
February 20, 2006, 10:04 PM
Mangix
i don't know anything about Ubuntu but i would just like to ask you this.

in what way does this relate to Computer Support? do you need help making it dual-boot, installing it, or something else?
February 20, 2006, 11:59 PM
MrRaza
They're tons of different distrobutions that you can choose from, that will get the results you need. Ubuntu I hear is a decent distro, look at gentoo and/or mandrake, FreeBSD. They're more experienced users on this forum when it comes to linux than I, so maybe iago or Kp can help you further.
February 21, 2006, 4:06 AM
Newby
FreeBSD isn't Linux.
February 21, 2006, 6:00 AM
MrRaza
Based on BSD Unix. my bad.
February 21, 2006, 6:14 AM
iago
Eh, the distros are all good for different reasons.  Try one, try others, make up your own mind. 

Personally, I prefer Slackware.  Nothing is done for you, and you have to do everything yourself.  It forces you to learn how stuff works, not just how to do stuff.  But it really depends on what you want to get out of a distro. 

I've been wanting to try Gentoo, but I've never gotten around to it. 
February 22, 2006, 3:52 PM
LivedKrad
[quote author=Mangix link=topic=14316.msg146584#msg146584 date=1140479970]

in what way does this relate to Computer Support? do you need help making it dual-boot, installing it, or something else?
[/quote]

Perhaps you should take that inquiry to Computer Support Issues, as this is General Computing & Misc.
February 22, 2006, 4:11 PM
K
The only downside with Ubuntu is that it doesn't come pre-loaded with all the essential development tools (make, gcc/g++, etc..).  Fortunantly, this is easy to fix by running the package manager (synaptic) or doing a couple 'apt-get install x's.

That said, our entire office used to have a couple gentoo machines and a slackware machine, and now we all run Ubuntu, so it must be doing something right.
February 22, 2006, 5:23 PM
Quarantine
From my experiences with Linux (shh) I liked slackware (iago showed me it) and I recently tried Ubuntu (Really nice distro I recommend to the Linux newcomer)

Of course some may argue the best way to learn Linux or Unix is to dive headon, while this may be the case I was already familiar with Linux to an extent so Ubuntu was really nice. I don't think it suffers from any functionality loss due to it's niceness to Users.
February 22, 2006, 5:26 PM
iago
[quote author=LivedKrad.fe link=topic=14316.msg146788#msg146788 date=1140624687]

[/quote]

Perhaps you should take that inquiry to Computer Support Issues, as this is General Computing & Misc.
[/quote]

That's where he posted it originally.  Somebody moved it here. 
February 22, 2006, 5:51 PM
LivedKrad
[quote author=iago link=topic=14316.msg146796#msg146796 date=1140630701]
[quote author=LivedKrad.fe link=topic=14316.msg146788#msg146788 date=1140624687]

[/quote]

[/quote]

That's where he posted it originally.  Somebody moved it here. 
[/quote]

Lame. No paper trail!
February 22, 2006, 6:09 PM
Yegg
BLAGBLAGBLAG.org
February 23, 2006, 12:21 AM
Newby
[quote author=Glove link=topic=14316.msg147319#msg147319 date=1141118334]
Moreover, anybody, anybody can contribute code ... it makes you feel warm inside.
[/quote]

And Linus the strict code nazi (he's been called this because of his super strict moderation of what code goes in and what doesn't) can choose what coding goes on. I guess you forgot to mention that.

Thanks GNU, I feel safe knowing that anybody can su into root!
[/quote]

I feel safe knowing that if you're really that paranoid you can disable remote root logins and restrict su to a specific group based on permission masks! (rws--x--[red]-[/red]) (warning: never tried this myself, but I see no reason it would not work.)

March 1, 2006, 1:05 AM
peofeoknight
[quote author=Ender link=topic=14316.msg146560#msg146560 date=1140473075]
Yep, the title says it all. I've finally decided to get linux (I'm going to dual-boot). I'm planning on getting Ubuntu, but before I do I'd like some feedback. I did read this thread and got some good information from it. This thread that I am making, however, is geared towards comments on Ubuntu and what I want out of it.

I want to do a lot of programming on Ubuntu, such as Java, C++, and NASM. I also plan to get the Java SDK and JRE, GNU software, and Eclipse on it. I want a good command shell, an easy-to-install&use distro, and a nice look and feel. According to my research, Ubuntu has all of this. But what are your comments on this?
[/quote]

Eww!  Linux! ... and especially eww @ Ubuntu.  At least have some self respect and use Slackware, Gentoo or Debian.
[/quote] Why, so casual computer use can be less friendly, especially to a linux new comer? Ubuntu is the most user friendly distro Ive ever used. That means moreso than SuSE or Mandrake (mandrake is gay though, I wouldnt reccoment it to anyone... mandrake... more like fagdrake). Ubuntu is basically debian with a whole bunch of extra conveiniant. Synaptic is amazing, id say it is better than YaST, easy. I used to be a big SuSE user but right now Im running Ubuntu and am pleased.

I cant talk about C++ or NASM, but I do some of my Java work on my desktop (really my laptop is my workhorse though because it goes to class with me, and that runs windows), and I have eclipse running, install is nothing. I just searched eclipse in synaptic, checked it, hit apply, boom, works. You should be able to get a lot of other good IDEs on Synaptic, Ive seen quite a few. If you need to get codecs I can give you a good repository to put into Synaptic to get everything you should need.
March 2, 2006, 1:22 AM

Search