Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Intel or AMD

AuthorMessageTime
Etheran
hmm, has this question been asked? Before you go telling me that there are other processors out there, let me just say that I know. I want opinions on these two specific companies for a reason.
May 26, 2003, 12:14 AM
iago
C: I don't know :-/
May 26, 2003, 2:18 AM
Naem
I picked AMD because I'm poor :)
May 26, 2003, 5:48 AM
______
I heard From somewhere that Amd is better for video games over intel, is this true or just a lie.
May 26, 2003, 5:51 AM
iago
I'll hopefully be getting an amd 1500xp laptop tomorrow, and I will compare it to the celeron 500 that I'm using now.
May 26, 2003, 6:15 AM
Yoni
Intel for the age old reason - less overheating.

I haven't been keeping track so don't know if this is still as much of an issue as it used to be.
May 26, 2003, 9:25 AM
Grok
I picked Intel because I cannot afford AMD.

For every Intel you'll have to buy 2 or 3 AMD's because they will overheat and burn up. It's happened to me, and that was before I knew AMD's overheat.
May 26, 2003, 3:47 PM
EvilCheese
As an overclocker and hardware tweaker I have to choose Intel.

Their processor cores are more stable, run at a lower temperature, and most importantly of all are built to better physical and electrical tolerances.

Crushing or damaging part of the core of AMD processors while you're toying with them is something that's VERY easy to do.. I've broken about 3 of them. :(

In contrast I've never burned out or damaged an Intel processor.
May 28, 2003, 1:23 PM
pileofcrap
Personal EXP..

Ive had 3 AMD's ... ALL FRIED. They couldnt handle the crap I had to do.

I just hooked up an OLD Intel P-II 333mhz with 128 megs of ram (this is like 1/5 the resources my 3 amd's had) and I swear this machine can handle more things than my 3 high end AMD's could. Like whenever im downloading 5 things at once full speed It doesnt get all Skippy and shit and I have to wait for some of the downloads to finish (with my AMD's I did) and things like that. I actually have more things running at once on this machine and it works PERFECT.

oh AND b/c I my last AMD just fried my 60gb hard drive.. and like all my other hard drives are in other PC's or they themselves have crashed/died .. im using a 4gb 3200RPM hard drive and everything still runs good. The only bad thing that happens is that DAMN noise the hard drive makes haha...
May 29, 2003, 4:14 AM
Etheran
hehe, I have one of those too!
May 29, 2003, 7:42 AM
Yoni
I doubt your (60gb) HD crashing can be blamed on AMD...
May 29, 2003, 2:40 PM
Naem
WinRAR fried my motherboard! :p
May 29, 2003, 2:41 PM
Arta
My last 2 machines have been AMDs and they've both lasted very well. I don't know how long it's taken your processors to burn up but I can't believe you're not exaggerating.
May 30, 2003, 4:33 PM
K
I have an AMD 2000 XP+, and the only time it's overheated was when my fan died. Even then i just locked up, didn't go out with a bang or anything...
May 30, 2003, 5:18 PM
Zakath
My AMD XP2200+ runs perfectly well. I've never had problems with heat (this could be because there's 5 fans in my case, but we'll ignore that). Either one can serve you well...it's really just a matter of personal choice.
May 30, 2003, 6:09 PM
tA-Kane
I've never used an AMD processor, but both of my parents' machines are Intels. My dad's being a Pentium 3 733MHz. This thing, when it gets hot in the case, the operating system does some weird stuff. When it's cool in the case, it runs just fine. It still runs just fine, so I don't think anything's fried...

My mom's Celeron 1.2GHz doesn't seem to have any problems at all...
June 4, 2003, 5:57 AM
Etheran
Well, all I can say is go intel. I too have an AMD, but I would like to trade it in for an intel. My AMD 1600 doesn't seem to have any problems, as far as I can tell.
June 4, 2003, 9:03 PM
iago
My new laptop runs fine with an AMD processor, but it does run really hot (although I don't have an equivolant Intel processor, so I can't say it's hotter)
June 5, 2003, 9:46 PM

Search