Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Programming | IP to IP Chat. (VB)

AuthorMessageTime
Crypticflare
Well I'm in the process of making a type of IP 2 IP Chat, Except what I want to do is leave a type of server running on my computer that leaves a port open and listens for data. On the client part it will connect to my IP, I used the dynDNS dynamic IP stuff, so instead of my direct IP they use an address i.e: vl.ath.cx. I'm starting my server and I added a winsock. In the form load of it, I have the localport at example 6666. Then I have like winsock.listen. My questions were am I going the right way for this? also on the client part I'm setting the remote host to my dynDNS account, and the port to like 6666, I was wondering if anyone could document some psudeocode (Spelling) on how I'd set it up, I want to do the VB myself, so no code please.
May 25, 2003, 4:36 AM
laurion
I know you said no code, but there are some awesome examples on that on www.pscode.com ...A few are award winners, too. Not sure if this was what you wanted to hear, but Just trying to help ;)
May 25, 2003, 12:28 PM
TheMinistered
It is not considered IP 2 IP if, to chat, you have to connect to some central location, such as, a server. IP 2 IP chat would be the following. You have one peice of software that has an option that can be selected. The option being Host or Client. If you select Host then you tell winsock to listen for a connection. If you select Client then the user must provide a valid ip address and then tell winsock to connect to the address.
May 25, 2003, 2:01 PM
MrRaza
Bah, im doing that for a school project. It has crappy code but you can play with it if you feel you have to.

www.thedragonmaster.net/MrRaza/Source/

*note: its not finished but if you comment out the login stuff you can send text to each other. :-\
May 25, 2003, 3:04 PM
Crypticflare
Thanks, I forgot to edit the post after I read it.. Right now I have my server setup for my local IP, I was wondering is there any specific way to parse the incoming data from my client, or do I get to think up a new way!
May 26, 2003, 1:55 AM
MrRaza
ws1.GetData vtData

you use Mid, Left, Right, InStr, etc to parse out information in vtData, ill post some better version(s) of my program later.
May 26, 2003, 11:31 AM
Crypticflare
Thanks Raza I really appreciate it, I can get one client from the downstairs computer to connect to my upstairs computer which hosts the server. I read over pscode and found an example of allowing multiple users to chat so its still being tested but hopefully it will be approved within each version. Thanks again for the source.. I'd like to know if I ever get stuck if its ok with you, if I can AIM/Email ya?
May 26, 2003, 8:47 PM
MrRaza
If you have any questions, my aim is MrRaza187
May 27, 2003, 12:24 PM
JoeCool
i dont know if this helps but my friend (Sam) made an Ip chat. you can join or create a server. and mutliple people can login at once. like a "instant messenger using IP's" um.. i know da codes for it.. is that any type of help what u talking bout
July 9, 2003, 7:53 PM

Search