Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Politics | Vice President Attacks Wrong Target

AuthorMessageTime
Grok
This is just too easy.

Vice President Dick Cheney has attacked and wounded the wrong target, again.  No, not Iraq this time, but his friend and hunting buddy.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/02/12/cheney.ap/index.html

Note:  chill out, I'm making a joke.
February 12, 2006, 11:48 PM
Grok
If you're wanting to take me on, you are going to lose.  This is my ball.
February 13, 2006, 4:57 AM
Kp
[quote author=CrAz3D link=topic=14238.msg145714#msg145714 date=1139788764][/quote]
[quote author=CrAz3D link=topic=14238.msg145764#msg145764 date=1139804561]Oh my, cat got your tongue?...[/quote]

Being just a tad impatient, aren't you?  It's customary to wait quite a bit longer before deciding someone's avoiding you.  Typically, you'd wait until they've posted in the target thread or one of similar location/topic and yet ignored you.
February 13, 2006, 5:06 AM
hismajesty
He's barely injured. He didn't announce his location and he was walking by the Quail Cheney was shooting for, he was just grazed and a few punctured the skin. Not much worse than what you'd get in lacrosse. :)
February 13, 2006, 11:30 AM
DarkMinion
This is why I hate quail hunting.
February 13, 2006, 4:24 PM
CrAz3D
I like how any & all of my posts in this thread have been deleted.  All but one had relevance (I'm not sure about that one) & then this one obviously.

Why am I being singled out here?
I posted relevant information.

Tell me who I need to talk to & I will.  Skywing?  Arta?  Grok?  Adron?
Just tell me & I'll get it done, I don't want to cause problems & I haven't thus far.
February 13, 2006, 7:39 PM
Stealth
To Grok: I believe your choice of the word "attack" to describe Cheney's accident is misleading. "Attack" conveys intent; intent to injure, intent to damage or destroy things. Clearly Cheney had no intention of shooting his friend.

I realize you're trying to parallel it to your opinion of our action in Iraq, but isn't it a bit of a stretch?
February 13, 2006, 7:45 PM
Grok
Yup a big stretch!  But he's a political figure and does far more stretching than I could ever do, so I figure he's fair game(pun intended).

Now, as far as your intent to attack my choice of the word attack, yes it was purposeful, both my choice and his choice to attack.  He missed his intended target and attacked his friend.  But that's still an attack.

When we shoot at missile at a chemical factory and it hits an elementary school, that's still an attack.
February 13, 2006, 9:27 PM
CrAz3D
Why is it that the WhiteHouse is now having to defend how it handled this incident?...

since I'm not allowed to post news articles I'll just post a quote from the article I'd like to post.
[quote] White House defends handling of Cheney shooting
Spokesman: Priority was treating victim, not telling public[/quote]
I agree, who cares if the public knows Cheney shot a dude, it wasn't purposely, people need to lighten up.
February 13, 2006, 11:11 PM
Mephisto
[quote author=Grok link=topic=14238.msg145892#msg145892 date=1139866045]
at a chemical factory and it hits an elementary school, that's still an attack.
[/quote]

I lol'ed.
February 14, 2006, 2:22 AM
Stealth
[quote author=Grok link=topic=14238.msg145892#msg145892 date=1139866045]
When we shoot at missile at a chemical factory and it hits an elementary school, that's still an attack.
[/quote]

True.. but it's also still a mistake.
February 14, 2006, 3:59 AM
Ishbar
Could there be something more to this? ...Or would that be too left winged of me?
February 14, 2006, 5:11 AM
CrAz3D
More to what?... Cheney shooting his friend?
How so?
February 14, 2006, 5:36 AM
DarkMinion
It's not like the guy got half his face blown off, he got peppered by some buckshot...I've even had that happen to me and it's not really that bad, so long as they dig all the pellets out.
February 14, 2006, 6:58 AM
Invert
I'd rather shoot someone than to pretend that I invented the internet.
February 14, 2006, 8:44 AM
DarkMinion
Not to mention making totally irresponsible speeches in unfriendly foreign countries.
February 14, 2006, 9:07 AM
CrAz3D
[quote author=Invert link=topic=14238.msg146001#msg146001 date=1139906685]
I'd rather shoot someone than to pretend that I invented the internet.
[/quote]teehee
Accidents happen all the time, I don't understand why its such a big deal.  Sure it involved the VP, but seriously, let it go people.
Now people are saying its like a conspiracy since we weren't told il a day after.  pfft
February 14, 2006, 2:39 PM
Invert
It's just a liberal trend now a days to go after anything and everything done by this administration. They always criticize but will never give better ideas of their own when it comes to the war, or anything else for that matter.
February 14, 2006, 4:31 PM
Grok
Since liberals have failed, I'll try.  Better idea:  when you're vice president and accidentally shoot your friend with birdshot, do not try to keep it a secret.

LOL.  Come on guys how is it possible to be serious about this?  Why is the White House doing anything other than giggling publically.  It's a friggin accident, say "OOPS" and make some bird jokes and get on with leading the country.

February 14, 2006, 5:44 PM
DarkMinion
Which is exactly what they're trying to do, McLellan was joking about it today, but the Dems are trying to turn it into a conspiracy or scandal.
February 14, 2006, 5:57 PM
CrAz3D
[quote author=Grok link=topic=14238.msg146021#msg146021 date=1139939050]
Since liberals have failed, I'll try.  Better idea:  when you're vice president and accidentally shoot your friend with birdshot, do not try to keep it a secret.
[/quote]
I don't think that they did try to keep it a secret, they just hadn't told anyone.  If it was a secret then I don't think the ranch owner (a friend of Cheney as I gatheredd) would've been so careless & informed the press.

[quote author=Grok link=topic=14238.msg146021#msg146021 date=1139939050]
LOL.  Come on guys how is it possible to be serious about this?  Why is the White House doing anything other than giggling publically.  It's a friggin accident, say "OOPS" and make some bird jokes and get on with leading the country.
[/quote]Word, crazy liberals & their conspiracy theories

EDIT:
HEH @ DarkMinion & him mentioning the liberals trying to turn this into a conspiracy as I did too.
I spose its pretty obvious then.

My dad was all worked up about it last night, I couldn't help but at at him for criticizing the WhiteHouse for "hiding" information from the public.
Brought Clinton up in the matter last night.
Cheney's thing was an accident, happens all the time.  However, still a personal matter.
Clinton's thing was normal, happens all the time.  However, still a personal matter.

BUT, I think Clinton's incident shows that he isn't trustworthy, if he betrays his wife why couldn't he betray his country (by selling technology tio China like he did).
Cheney's incident shows he can make mistakes, which is already obvious because no person is perfect.
February 14, 2006, 5:57 PM
Hostile
I agree with you, Grok. Its just annoying that they're trying to make this a big deal because they had a "private citizen" tell us, rather then Cheney's office, even though the "private citizen" said she was told by Cheney to give the news out.
My first reaction the other day, well was I laughed to be honest. Only at the headline, I know how easy it could be to do it to someone if they didn't signal where they were. Now they're crying about the fact he didn't have the proper stamp to quail hunt, well thats pretty funny also. But to be fair, there are different stamps for almost every kind of bird hunting, so it's not that easy to stay on top of which ones you need (though you would think the VP would just have someone get him every single license/stamp for the state, wouldn't you?)

Though, the reason the White House isn't laughing publically/shruging it off is probably because they don't want to come across as insensitive on the matter, or come off as the Vice President not caring that he shot him.
February 14, 2006, 6:00 PM
Invert
You know what, this was not even worth a post. It's not political in any way. If you wanted to make fun of your VP you should post this in the Fun Forum™.
February 14, 2006, 6:32 PM
DarkMinion
Actually, they are laughing about it.  White House spokesman Scott McLellan made a joke at a press conference today when he mentioned the Texas Longhorn football team coming to visit the White House.  He said that the team would be wearing orange because it's the school colors, and not because they think Cheney will be there.

The bottom line:

Quail hunting accidents happen all the time.  The circumstances under which this accident happened are very common.  I've seen it happen twice and it has happened to me once.  'Tis why I don't quail hunt anymore.

This is being made a big deal out of by a lot of different people and it doesn't need to be.  The reporters in the White House press room were quite obviously trying to apply that the White House was involved in some sort of cover up or conspiracy, which just flat out is not the case.
February 14, 2006, 6:33 PM
DarkMinion
Hell, turn the news on right now, those idiot reporters are trying their damndest to get the surgeon to say that the man could possibly die of this because they would jump all over that.  ::)
February 14, 2006, 6:36 PM
Grok
Sorry to disagree, but humor has long been a part of politics, and I hope humor has a place in this political forum as well.  But I'll leave that up to the moderators.  If in their opinion there's nothing funny about politics, I will adhere to their forum policy.

This is probably no longer funny though, as the news is reporting some of the bird shot has given the guy a minor heart attack when it moved into his heart.  I hope he makes a full recovery.
February 14, 2006, 7:19 PM
Hostile
Yeah, just read that also. Hopefully he'll get better.

I'm kind of with you on the hunting too, Mike. I think you said you do Gun-Deer also, but the only hunting I've ever really gotten into is duck hunting. Anytime you're hunting and aiming at the ground, theres bound to be accidents of the like. Bow Deer is ok in my book also, though I never get around to it.
February 14, 2006, 7:20 PM
Disco
I thought it was funny that the first time I saw the news report about it was after I just finished watching Wedding Crashers.  (If you've seen it, you know what I mean.)
February 14, 2006, 8:21 PM
Invert
[quote author=Grok link=topic=14238.msg146037#msg146037 date=1139944745]
Sorry to disagree, but humor has long been a part of politics, and I hope humor has a place in this political forum as well.  But I'll leave that up to the moderators.  If in their opinion there's nothing funny about politics, I will adhere to their forum policy.

This is probably no longer funny though, as the news is reporting some of the bird shot has given the guy a minor heart attack when it moved into his heart.  I hope he makes a full recovery.
[/quote]

Grok, please tell me again how the moderator (Arta) of this forum is not bias when you make a post making fun of our VP and I make a post making fun of Sheehan running for Senate but only my post gets deleted from here and moved to the Trash Can. Arta told me that this is not the place to make fun of people and that's why my post got deleted.

This is crap.
February 14, 2006, 10:10 PM
kamakazie
What happens if the guy dies? He's back in intensive care apparently for a heart attack because of the attack.
February 14, 2006, 10:15 PM
CrAz3D
I agree with Invert regarding the Sheehan & VP posts, much bias has been displayed.

About Whittington, he had a minor heart attack because of some shot lodged in his heart.  I wonder what WOULD happen if he did indeed die in relation to the gunshot wounds.  Would Cheney be charged with involuntary manslaughter or some sort of negligence resulting in death?
That would be nuts.

I'm sure there are no hard feelings held by Whittington towards Cheney as they are both partially at fault for the incident.
February 14, 2006, 10:24 PM
Grok
[quote author=Invert link=topic=14238.msg146053#msg146053 date=1139955013]
[quote author=Grok link=topic=14238.msg146037#msg146037 date=1139944745]

[/quote]

Grok, please tell me again how the moderator (Arta) of this forum is not bias when you make a post making fun of our VP and I make a post making fun of Sheehan running for Senate but only my post gets deleted from here and moved to the Trash Can. Arta told me that this is not the place to make fun of people and that's why my post got deleted.

This is crap.

[/quote]

You need to take up personal issues with Arta and not with me.  It's not my forum.  The moderator can be as biased as he wants to be.
February 14, 2006, 10:55 PM
DarkMinion
Perhaps, but he shouldn't be allowed to hold double standards, especially against other members.
February 14, 2006, 11:00 PM
CrAz3D
ANYWAY, what happens to Cheney if this guy dies, hypothetically
February 14, 2006, 11:21 PM
Topaz
Nothing happens to Cheney. He'll end up in court after his term is over, but executive power keeps him safe till then.
February 14, 2006, 11:24 PM
CrAz3D
Ok, theoretically if I shot a dude & such happened
February 14, 2006, 11:33 PM
Invert
If you read how the accident happened it was Whittington's fault. Maybe the liberals will accuse Cheney of shooting a man w/o a permit…who knows what they will think of next.
February 14, 2006, 11:36 PM
Hostile
Nothing would happen even then. It was an accident, according to everyone (even the guy who was shot!). This whole thing is just being exaggerated by people. I recommend you hold the guy who was shot in good hopes/prayers and find something actually worth talking about.

How about the fact the government supposedly spent 1.6 billion dollars on advertising and promoting the political agendas to its own citizens. :|

PS: Sheehan sucks and is a disgrace to her son. There I said it :p
February 14, 2006, 11:39 PM
DarkMinion
Agreed, Hostile.
February 14, 2006, 11:46 PM
CrAz3D
I do hope Mr. Whittington is alright, I shall keep him in my thoughts.

Accident report was released.
Looks like Cheney was following a bird & shot at the bird when Whittington stepped into range.  That sucks.
Hope he does get well soon, though.  I'd love to be a powerful lawyer in Austin, TX just like that some day, whoo!
http://www.cnn.com/2006/images/02/14/CheneyAccidentReport.ap.pdf
February 15, 2006, 6:15 AM
CrAz3D
HAHAHAHA
http://www.longmontfyi.com/Local-Story.asp?id=6219
The IRONY.

Dudes laughs at Cheney cause he accidentally shot his friend.
Take 2...dude's girlfriend shoots him accidentally.
Ah, I <3 irony.
February 16, 2006, 6:04 AM