Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Computer Support Issues | Linux Login Screen Issue

AuthorMessageTime
Yegg
I was currently using BLAG (linux distro by GNU) until just a little while ago when I tried to change the login screen. I downloaded one off of art.gnome.org and installed it on my pc. So I set the login screen to this new one, I then logged out to see what it looked like. Instead, an error dialog popped up and it has just 1 button, "OK". Pressing this button does nothing, the button simply pushes in and thats the end of it. Anyways, the error message is:

"There was an error loading the theme blagCanyon

Can't open file /usr/share/gdm/themes/blagCanyon/blagCanyon.xml"

Not sure what this file does, but It is in no relation to the name of the new login screen I had installed. Anways, would anyone happen to know of a possible solution? Perhaps I could somehow restore this file? The OS's "system integrity check" didn't fix this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
February 11, 2006, 2:12 PM
rabbit
blagCanyon.xml is the screen manager (IE: resolution and the such).  Aside from that I don't know too much about it, but it does sound as though you'll need to get a new one.
February 11, 2006, 2:39 PM
Yegg
Thanks rabbit, I'll look into how to replace it. ATM, I'm upgrading my system in an attempt to fix the issue. I'll update my post with the results.

Updae: Upgrading the system did not help. I am now looking into how to replace the blagCanyon.xml file.

Update2: I just made a post for assistance with this on the BLAG support forums.
February 11, 2006, 2:59 PM
Kp
Why not just switch back to the login screen you were using before?
February 11, 2006, 5:04 PM
Yegg
[quote author=Kp link=topic=14225.msg145563#msg145563 date=1139677476]
Why not just switch back to the login screen you were using before?
[/quote]

I can't get to the desktop. And I don't know how to change it back without atleast being able to be on my desktop where I can open an application that lets me switch login screens.
February 11, 2006, 5:18 PM
Kp
This isn't Windows.  You don't need to have a GUI to do everything.  Log in over ssh or on one of the text consoles (vt1-vt6) and fix it from there.  Or log in through one of those methods and start Xvnc, then connect to the system over VNC and fix it using your GUI.
February 11, 2006, 6:49 PM
Yegg
My problem is now solved. I was able to login through text mode and fix the damaged file that was causing the problem.[sub][sub][/sub][/sub]
February 11, 2006, 9:27 PM
Newby
I don't think he would be able to configure VNC. :P
February 11, 2006, 9:56 PM
Kp
[quote author=Newby link=topic=14225.msg145598#msg145598 date=1139695017]
I don't think he would be able to configure VNC. :P
[/quote]

Perhaps not, but he really shouldn't need to.  Most distributions ship with it configured well enough to be usable, though it probably wouldn't have the same feel as his native login.  Incidentally, it's arguably a bug that a single bad XML file broke the DM so badly that he couldn't log in.  Graceful degradation dictates that it should've tried to fall back on working defaults before giving up entirely. :)
February 11, 2006, 10:21 PM
Newby
What distros come shipped with XVnc? I've had to install it on the three distros I've used... :(
February 12, 2006, 3:49 AM
Kp
[quote author=Newby link=topic=14225.msg145636#msg145636 date=1139716163]
What distros come shipped with XVnc? I've had to install it on the three distros I've used... :(
[/quote]

It came with my SuSE system, and it's present on several flavors of Fedora Core that I'm connected to.  I don't administer the FC systems, so it's possible someone else installed it on those.
February 12, 2006, 5:11 AM

Search