Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | .NET Platform | Cluster Environment

AuthorMessageTime
Grok
I need to write some programs that will be installed in a cluster environment.  There is almost no mention of cluster requirements in the .NET documentation.  A few expert forums discuss a setting or two in the solution config files.

Has anyone written programs for a cluster environment?
Has anyone written programs for a cluster environment using .NET?
Has anyone written Windows Services for a cluster environment using .NET?

What do I need to know?
February 10, 2006, 6:40 PM
Myndfyr
I've only ever written a Service, but not for a clustering environment.

The only thing I know about this is that you should investigate the System.EnterpriseServices namespace.  Sorry I can't be of more help.
February 10, 2006, 11:07 PM
TheMinistered
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/mscs/mscs/the_server_cluster_api.asp

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/archive/winntas/proddocs/mscsad00.mspx

some other stuff on msdn as well for .NET
February 12, 2006, 9:16 PM
Grok
The first appears to be an API used to interface to the cluster environment objects themselves, and gives zero guidance on how to write applications destined for installation and operation in a clustered environment.  The second is the cluster admin guide, and provides no guidance on programming cluster-aware applications.
February 13, 2006, 10:06 PM
Myndfyr
[quote author=Grok link=topic=14217.msg145898#msg145898 date=1139868410]
The first appears to be an API used to interface to the cluster environment objects themselves, and gives zero guidance on how to write applications destined for installation and operation in a clustered environment.  The second is the cluster admin guide, and provides no guidance on programming cluster-aware applications.
[/quote]
I'm sorry that our answers were inadequate to combat your inadequacies.  ;)

I wish I could be more help, but I don't even know the technical meaning of "clustering."  I'd love to learn, because I know it's a business thing, but I don't have that kind of time.
February 14, 2006, 1:13 AM
Grok
Sorry if you thought I was bashing, I was not.  I thank you for your attempt at assistance and viewed it as thoughtful to provide feedback as to whether we were talking about the same thing.  It's really unnecessary to get defensive when I say "miss".
February 14, 2006, 1:59 AM

Search