Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Politics | Competition in Intelligence community

AuthorMessageTime
Grok
This is a good read, particularly where the Colonel talks about the lack of competition and the need for it within the intelligence community.  I love the idea and the ramifications it could have.

[quote]You know business, education. Competition is an essential ingredient of what we do. There is no competition in the intelligence community. In other words leaders don't listen to various parts of the intelligence community debate one another.[/quote]

http://www.pbs.org/now/politics/wilkerson.html

Hehe, this is funny but serious:

[quote]Ferdinand Eberstadt now, remember that history. Ferdinand Eberstadt writes to Walter Lippmann and he write-- he writes I believe in 1953 if I recall Walter Lippmann being-- that columnist who didn't mind commenting on anything. And Ferdinand says to Lippmann, "I understand that this may be a more effective process, that a few men making a decision maybe a more effective process, a secretive process may be very efficient." But suppose we get a dumb man?

Suppose we get people who can't make good decisions as FDR was pretty good at. I'm worried and I would rather have the discussion and debate in the process we've designed than I would a dictate from a dumb strongman. And that dumb strongman is his felicitous phrase.[/quote]
February 6, 2006, 9:16 PM

Search