Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Java Programming | So I'm thinking of writing a bot in Java

AuthorMessageTime
UserLoser
Tell me the good stuff: recommend me some IDEs, other tools, etc.  I have nearly 0 knowledge of Java, but I can teach my self everything I need to know about it like I did for VB/C++/reverse engineering/miscellaneous BS.  I can do the rest on my own.  Thanks.
February 5, 2006, 9:40 PM
Yegg
I myself do not use Java. However Sun Microsystems seems to have some very nice IDE's. NetBeans was nice when I tried it.
February 5, 2006, 10:27 PM
Brandon
If you want to make a Java bot, you should talk to iago.  He has already made one, and I bet he could help you out a lot.
February 5, 2006, 10:31 PM
HdxBmx27
Depends on what OS your working on.
On my Windows box I use JCreator
On my linux box I use Eclipse
Also Notepad2 is a easy tool for windows, it has syntax highlighting so it's handy for small one file projects.
Also you may want to bookmark the Java 2 Platform SE information. It's an invaluble referance.
~-~(HDX)~-~
February 5, 2006, 11:01 PM
rabbit
I use a combination of Notepad2 and Eclipse on Windows, though for a large project (IE: a bot), Eclipse is definately the better choice.  iago's JavaOp is open-source, which is a good place to start.
February 5, 2006, 11:07 PM
iago
Yeah, I strongly recommend eclipse [www.eclipse.org]. 

And I have all the login/cdkey/version check stuff implemented reasonably well, feel free to poke through my source.  My CheckRevision implementation is very close to the speed of Skywing's.  The bot isn't set up in an ideal way, but the "bnetlogin" plugin should be useful to you. 

February 6, 2006, 2:05 AM
Ender
I also recommend Eclipse, and be sure to get the Eclipse Visual Editor as well!

And in addition... here are some useful Sun sites
5.0 Platform API.
Sun's trail of tutorials.
Socket programming.

February 6, 2006, 2:23 AM
JoeTheOdd
I used to use Eclipse (IDE + compiler), and I know iago does. Currently, I'm using TextPad + J2SDK, because that's what I use during class. TextPad isn't quite an 'IDE', but it's decent.
February 6, 2006, 2:37 AM
iago
[quote author=Ender link=topic=14154.msg144750#msg144750 date=1139192610]
I also recommend Eclipse, and be sure to get the Eclipse Visual Editor as well!

And in addition... here are some useful Sun sites
5.0 Platform API.
Sun's trail of tutorials.
Socket programming.
[/quote]

You'll also find some useful code pieces on x86's forum.  I tend to post little libraries there as I discover them.  I recommend the assynchronous sockets one, if nothing else, it makes a HUGE difference. 
February 6, 2006, 4:27 AM
UserLoser
Hmm, thanks everyone I think I'll take a look at Eclipse tonight and play around with it a bit.  This is exciting, haha
February 6, 2006, 6:43 AM
Psycho
Yeah, when I messed around with Java I used notepad and SDK. But thats more trouble than an IDE would be. I'd go with Eclipse.
February 7, 2006, 2:25 PM

Search