Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Computer Support Issues | Re: Wireless Problem

AuthorMessageTime
PaiD
Ok. My wireless net was just fine till last night and ever sense then I get disconnected (speed just drops to 1.0 Mbps and all connections die) and then I must tell windows to 'repair' the connection and then I get 54.0 Mbps for ~5 mins and repeat. Anyone know why this is happening?
February 5, 2006, 6:14 PM
iago
Have you gotten a new cordless phone, microwave, or something large and metal?

If so, and even if not, try changing the channel that your wireless is running on.  You might be getting interference from a neighbor, somewhere in your house, a weather balloon, Mars, etc.  Wireless tends to be picky. 
February 5, 2006, 6:19 PM
PaiD
well my dad got a new gas fireplace for the cabin and it is big and metal and everything started to fuck up after we got it (like right after) and I have tried the channel idea. I changed it from 6 to 11 and still the same thing (somewhat better)
February 5, 2006, 6:23 PM
iago
Hmm, it could very well be the fireplace, since metal reflects signals.  Is there any way you could move your access point somewhere?  It doesn't really matter where, but if you can move it a couple meters then maybe the dead-spots will be somewhere else. 
February 5, 2006, 7:10 PM
Twix
Sorry to hijack the topic but I seen since this was open and no need to open a new one for the same problem. Today I just installed a wireless router for my sister labtop and now when I go to pages it takes like 4 or 5 min to load and I have cable, and also my sisters comp takes like 45 min to an hour to load a page and I know it can't be the signal slowing her down because I have the labtop sitting 6 inches away from the router right now.
February 5, 2006, 8:37 PM
iago
Have you tried hooking up a wire?

Have you tried using a different wireless network (say, at a restaurant)?
February 6, 2006, 4:22 AM
Trance
[quote author=Savior link=topic=14149.msg144696#msg144696 date=1139163831]
well my dad got a new gas fireplace for the cabin and it is big and metal and everything started to fuck up after we got it (like right after) and I have tried the channel idea. I changed it from 6 to 11 and still the same thing (somewhat better)
[/quote]
You may want to consider getting a signal booster if it's available for your router and wireless reciever. It may help things a lot. Also Try a channel between 6 and 11. I'm not sure but I think 6 is default for G networks and 11 is default for B.
February 11, 2006, 11:00 PM
PaiD
yea I have a Range Booster, Speed Booster on Router and on my Wireless card and now I get better signal strength and am able to stay connected for longer times (17 hours as of this writing) but the speed now says @ 11.0 Mbps
February 11, 2006, 11:04 PM
Trance
Ouch, well atleast you're stable now. If you get really annoyed by the speed though maybe you can try getting a repeater (or something like that). I'm not really familiar with them.
February 14, 2006, 8:28 PM
LoRd
... or just run a wire.  There comes a point where that would actually be the most cost effective and simplistic solution.
February 14, 2006, 8:43 PM
Trance
True, but not everyone can run network cable through there house.
February 14, 2006, 9:20 PM
iago
[quote author=Trance link=topic=14149.msg145606#msg145606 date=1139698857]
You may want to consider getting a signal booster if it's available for your router and wireless reciever. It may help things a lot. Also Try a channel between 6 and 11. I'm not sure but I think 6 is default for G networks and 11 is default for B.
[/quote]
I would guess that the default vary depending on which router you have. 

[quote author=Savior link=topic=14149.msg145609#msg145609 date=1139699040]
yea I have a Range Booster, Speed Booster on Router and on my Wireless card and now I get better signal strength and am able to stay connected for longer times (17 hours as of this writing) but the speed now says @ 11.0 Mbps
[/quote]
Don't forget that your Internet connection isn't 11.0 Mbps, so you aren't losing any Internet speed.  The only thing you'll notice is that transferring files system-to-system is slower, but, in general, that's not an issue. 
February 16, 2006, 12:27 AM

Search