Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | "unschooling", WTF mate?!

AuthorMessageTime
CrAz3D
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/01/27/gutierrez.unschooing/index.html
I would've learned to MAYBE add, that's about it.

don't haev the drive, now, to study french...what makes people think that a kid would WANT to learn stuff on their own?
I sure wouldn't want to teach myself calculus
February 2, 2006, 10:12 PM
Forged
I read History and Political books in my spare time.  I have taught myself most of the basic things about the computer, but that is about where my interest ends.  I don't see myself, expecially as a child, studying grammar or algebra for shits and giggles.
February 3, 2006, 4:04 AM
powered by nissan
school is [img]http://smiliesftw.com/!/greddy.gif[/img]
February 3, 2006, 4:25 AM
CrAz3D
[quote author=Forged link=topic=14109.msg144354#msg144354 date=1138939450]
I read History and Political books in my spare time.  I have taught myself most of the basic things about the computer, but that is about where my interest ends.  I don't see myself, expecially as a child, studying grammar or algebra for shits and giggles.
[/quote]exactly
February 3, 2006, 4:57 AM
Yoni
It would only work if every weekend you have a test and you have to maintain good grades to stay unschooled.

Also, I know some (smart) people who dropped out of high school because it wasn't teaching them anything. They tend to have some form of lack of social skills.
February 3, 2006, 10:41 AM
St0rm.iD
Disclaimer: I have a girlfriend, am in a band, and I am a varsity captain and record holder.

I like this idea. I've got a couple of friends who are the smart type; we crack smart, witty jokes and occasionally talk about metaphysics and such. We're also normal in that we hate school, live regular lives, and have regular social skills.

We also like to learn. My friend is a physics genius and sort of just knew everything before coming to class because he enjoyed it. I'm entirely self-taught in computers, and currently I conduct dynamic language research with Brown PhDs, so it can be done, you can teach yourself useful things outside of school. In a matter of a month, I've taught myself piano, without a teacher.

Recently, some events have led me to believe in this system of unschooling. I was accepted to Cornell University early decision in November. Before, I was a B+ honors student, doing most of my homework (either actually doing it or copying it, both of which require time). Since then, I have 100% stopped doing homework (senioritis, if you will). Contrary to popular belief, I've found that my test grades have consistently gone way up since stopping my homework (straight A/A+'s on all my semester exams with absolutely no studying).

Why is this? Homework's a bitch, that's why. Modern school systems, be it public or private, instill a belief that learning is not a sense of enlightenment and wonder, but a sense that learning is a pain in the ass. Think about it, if you still had tests and quizzes and grades, but homework was offered every night but only graded as extra credit points added on to your tests and quizzes, wouldn't you learn Algebra better? I'd say that unschooling is a bit overkill, but if we kept mandatory attendance and grades in schools while making homework optional, we'd be able to stimulate and encourage learning. I've observed the "smart kids" (including myself) often don't do any homework and get the best test grades, because we've been learning stuff voluntarily outside of school, and can pick up the new information more quickly because we aren't predisposed against it due to homework or extra work.

This system wouldn't work for everyone, though. I think that it should be instituted for another level honors classes, which you are required to test into, and eventually be phased in if there is a way found to encourage self-learning in everyone. This way, we'll minimize intellectual burnouts, maximize the enjoyment of learning, minimize cheating, and still keep the social aspect of learning intact as well as still educating those who cannot handle this responsibility.

Thoughts?
February 3, 2006, 3:44 PM
CrAz3D
word, homework is just annoying & time consuming.  usu most like busy work just
February 3, 2006, 4:20 PM
DarkMinion
Honestly, I can probably teach myself calculus better than my teachers/professors did.  I sure as hell wasn't going to learn to program at a high level by listening to my computer science teachers, for example.
February 3, 2006, 6:24 PM
CrAz3D
[quote author=DarkMinion link=topic=14109.msg144423#msg144423 date=1138991090]
Honestly, I can probably teach myself calculus better than my teachers/professors did.  I sure as hell wasn't going to learn to program at a high level by listening to my computer science teachers, for example.
[/quote]But in general, would you really WANT to learn calculus, how to diagram sentences & such if you had never been introduced into the regular school system?
February 3, 2006, 6:31 PM

Search