Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Visual Basic Programming | Post some idea's to make..

AuthorMessageTime
FrOzeN
In my programming class at school were using VB6, as I'm miles ahead the rest of the class, especially considering there close to knowing nothing barely anything about VB6. Today we just went over how If-Then-Else statements work then tried using then. Then discussed how Do-While works but not actually use it.

I want to make a program using only the default controls and no API's as our class probably won't get to the stage of using API's and he has disabled the ability to add in more components, I could probably get past that easily enough, though showing him my program kind of gives that away.

So does anyone have any suggestions I could make using only the default functions and controls. I was thinking along the lines of using the shapes and some timer's to make a game like snake. Any thoughts?

[EDIT] Reworded and fixed lots typo's. :-\
February 2, 2006, 8:18 AM
Networks
[quote author=FrOzeN link=topic=14104.msg144266#msg144266 date=1138868285]
In my programming class at school were using VB6, as I'm miles ahead the rest of the class, especially considering there close to knowing nothing barely anything about VB6. Today we just went over how If-Then-Else statements work then tried using then. Then discussed how Do-While works but not actually use it.

I want to make a program using only the default controls and no API's as our class probably won't get to the stage of using API's and he has disabled the ability to add in more components, I could probably get past that easily enough, though showing him my program kind of gives that away.

So does anyone have any suggestions I could make using only the default functions and controls. I was thinking along the lines of using the shapes and some timer's to make a game like snake. Any thoughts?

[EDIT] Reworded and fixed lots typo's. :-\
[/quote]

Make something that gets you that A and spend more time on something you really want to make. Don't waste your time impressing your professor, it's a waste of time to compare yourself with classmates in highschool in an elementary programming class, compare yourself with those who are always better then you, only then will you really grow. After all, you may be miles ahead of your classmates but you're probably years behind those that really matter. My solution: Spend less time and just get your easy A and create something you really want to make on the side.
February 2, 2006, 10:03 PM
Quarantine
It's all about showing off, make the most ownage chat system.
February 2, 2006, 10:49 PM
Topaz
Create a protocol similar to how BitTorrent works and implement it.
February 2, 2006, 11:41 PM
Networks
[quote author=Warrior link=topic=14104.msg144307#msg144307 date=1138920562]
It's all about showing off, make the most ownage chat system.
[/quote]

You're competing with a bunch of kids that just learned if-then statements, give me a break. He couldn't do that since that would require API or the winsock control.

Make a virus with default stuff, that should be challenging enough.
February 3, 2006, 12:50 AM
LoRd
Why waste your time writing something extravegant when something minimal is asked?  This oftentimes results badly.
February 3, 2006, 12:57 AM
Yegg
[quote author=Networks link=topic=14104.msg144297#msg144297 date=1138917787]
Make something that gets you that A and spend more time on something you really want to make. Don't waste your time impressing your professor, it's a waste of time to compare yourself with classmates in highschool in an elementary programming class, compare yourself with those who are always better then you, only then will you really grow. After all, you may be miles ahead of your classmates but you're probably years behind those that really matter. My solution: Spend less time and just get your easy A and create something you really want to make on the side.
[/quote]

Actually, I wouldn't work on something you "really want to make". I'd spend that time at my own home. For school, perhaps writing maybe a small and basic algorithm could get you some good credit? Maybe another, useful procedure would also be nice?
February 3, 2006, 1:38 AM
Networks
[quote author=Yegg link=topic=14104.msg144338#msg144338 date=1138930696]
[/quote]

Actually, I wouldn't work on something you "really want to make". I'd spend that time at my own home. For school, perhaps writing maybe a small and basic algorithm could get you some good credit? Maybe another, useful procedure would also be nice?
[/quote]

Isn't that what I said? I think you misinterpeted me Yegg.
February 3, 2006, 3:59 AM
Explicit[nK]
Don't bother proving anything to your class.  Just do the work assigned by your instructor, and then focus on maintaining your grades in other classes.  If it's an easy A, then keep it that way.
February 3, 2006, 4:09 AM
Quarantine
wtf, always be the best in everything and always over do it, "getting by" isn't enough. In programming classes I'm probably the flashiest guy and produce the most efficient programs there. Earns you extra point to do whatever you want. Do you really want to "just get by" and be classified with the rest of your classmates? No thanks.
February 3, 2006, 5:02 AM
Explicit[nK]
[quote author=Warrior link=topic=14104.msg144366#msg144366 date=1138942950]
wtf, always be the best in everything and always over do it, "getting by" isn't enough. In programming classes I'm probably the flashiest guy and produce the most efficient programs there. Earns you extra point to do whatever you want. Do you really want to "just get by" and be classified with the rest of your classmates? No thanks.

[/quote]

It would allow him to focus more on his other classes if he's lacking in performance in them.  If he wants to earn a few brownie points with his instructor, fine.  He can probably work out an independent study type curriculum with his instructor, and if he can, then of course, it's highly encouraged.  But you don't graduate (I'm assuming he's in high school) by being proficient in one class and one class alone.

Not trying to argue here, Warrior.  :P
February 3, 2006, 5:10 AM
Quarantine
Can't argue when I agree with you :p
February 3, 2006, 5:11 AM
FrOzeN
At the moment he's just explaining things and getting us to practice with the code. When he gets around to asking us to make small programs I'll be able to finish them including the theory on them (writing out a flow chat showing how it works) in around 5-10 minutes when we would probably have about 2 hours to do them.

So aslong as I make sure I complete all the required work then I'll probably get perfect marks. As for one of the major projects we'll be doing this year, I'll have plenty of spare time to make pretty much anything I want. He won't ask us to make something specific he'll just ask us to make something.

As for "focusing on other subjects" well I'm not going to study for them whilst doing programming, and it's than likely I'll never have any "homework" for this subject as I can finish well within class time.

Anyway what he said we'll probably be doing in around 6 months is switching to VB .Net as were ditching VB6. Last night I download Microsoft Visual Basic 2005 Express Edition and I'm going to get a head start on it now. Although I don't like VB .Net, well the whole .Net framework for that matter. I'm not going to bring my opinions in which could lead to jeopardizing some marks because of my lack of liking towards it.

Basically to revamp my main question: With all this free time I'll have to work on my main project over the next 6 months what should I make?

I estimate I'll end up with about 30 hours out of this coarse where I have complete the set task to highest standard he wants and have spare time to kill. :)

[EDIT] @Networks:
... My solution: Spend less time and just get your easy A and create something you really want to make on the side.
[/quote]
The thing is, there's nothing I want to make in VB6 anymore other than finishing off a VB6 Developers Bot and making a bunch of Class Modules that do things in VB6 for general public use. Both of which I don't wish to do in class.

I'm trying to move on from VB6 very soon, I just want to finish off with it that way I can still provide rather extensive support with it. I just have to finish of learning the last few things about it.
February 3, 2006, 7:26 AM
-GP-
when my collage tryed getting us to write small programs (currency converters in this case) i did it... made it modular... gave it rudermentory auto update functions... made the forms auto centre, fade in/out aswell as expanding from the mouse pointers curent location (and then centre itself if the pointer was off to one side) and then added rudementory skining support.

what im tring to say is when denied advanced tools choose somthing small and easy and then baffle everyone with bullshit  ;)

-GP-
February 3, 2006, 10:31 AM

Search