Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Politics | Forum Guidelines

AuthorMessageTime
Arta
Hi.

This forum is for the discussion of politics. Debates on wider points are fine as well, if they grow from political discussion. If not, the scientia quod philosophy forum may be more appropriate.

I don't really like rules so there aren't any persay, other than the usual prohibitions against personal attacks and soforth. That rule may be particularly pertinent in threads where someone is expressing an extreme position. Please respect your adversaries even though you disagree with them, and stick to relevant points. If you cannot contain your anger, abstain from posting.

Having existed for some time, it now seems clear that some of the regular posters here consider ad hominem attacks to be a legitimate debating technique. This is not the case. Posts containing ad hominem attacks will be deleted upon sight, with no exceptions.

These guidelines may be revised as necessary.
October 12, 2004, 10:21 PM
Arta
Hello,

I have put off this post for some time for fear of being labelled as biased, but I have now had enough.

From now on, posts containing ad hominem attacks will be deleted as soon as I see them, without warning, and with no exceptions. I can't be bothered to PM people and let them know that their posts are unacceptable, and I can't be bothered to edit people's posts to remove unpleasent statements. Attacks on others are not a legitimate debating technique. They reduce otherwise interesting threads to rant-fuelled, annoying shouting matches. Please concentrate your posts on the substance of your oppositions' argument.

I very much hope that this policy will raise the tone of the debate on this forum.
December 12, 2005, 11:55 PM
Myndfyr
I am glad this is happening.  When I saw the guidelines had been changed (before this post had been made) I PMed Arta and said that I was glad he'd done so, that the lack of good debate and argument on this forum had driven me from it, and that I might return.

I fully support this policy and will moderate by it as well.
December 13, 2005, 12:02 AM

Search