Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Politics | State of the Union

AuthorMessageTime
Networks
I am happy about the boost in education in Math and Science related fields as well as the fact that he actually proposed rational solutions to America's energy problems by stating that he'd help fund those programs and he actually made deadlines. I am pretty happy with it all in all.

Although I thought it was weird that he made a joke in the State of the Union address, has that ever happened before? I thought it was the wrong time to do something like that. That's just me though, there's plenty of times he can do that in less serious situations.

Joke:
[quote]
This year, the first of about 78 million baby boomers turn 60, including two of my dad's favorite people -- me and President Bill Clinton. This milestone is more than a personal crisis -- it is a national challenge.
[/quote]

Discuss.
February 1, 2006, 3:44 AM
Mephisto
Seems like the same ol' stuff we've all heard before from him, just stated more boldly, but ultimately the same failed crap.  Quite honestly, I hope this time he makes good on his claims, and this doesn't turn into a repeat of 2005 where a bunch of promised goals remained unfulfilled and misguided.  I do like some of his plans though, particuarily with education boosts and his attempt to solve our energy crisis, but I somehow doubt his ability to make it happen, especially with the mockery of our U.S. Senate which lacks bi-partisan cooperation.
February 1, 2006, 3:59 AM
DarkMinion
I doubt you would consider the Senate a mockery if there was a Democratic majority.
February 1, 2006, 4:06 AM
Invert
I liked his address overall.

Mephisto, the only reason some stuff did not get accomplished was because the democrats in the senate did not allow for change.
February 1, 2006, 4:08 AM
DarkMinion
Democrats in Washington try and put a stranglehold on ANYTHING Bush does just out of principle because it's all they have left.
February 1, 2006, 4:18 AM
CrAz3D
Aw, I was out & didn't watch.
I spose I'll go read a summary of it somewhere.

More math and science does sound good though.  I personally believe somewhat in standardization of the country's education system, it would be nice to have kids in NYC to know the same as kids in Dona Ana, NM.

Baby boomers, hmm, eww, hope they saved up & hard!
February 1, 2006, 6:03 AM
Mephisto
[quote author=DarkMinion link=topic=14079.msg144066#msg144066 date=1138766788]
I doubt you would consider the Senate a mockery if there was a Democratic majority.
[/quote]

Actually, no.  A good senate is one with bi-partisan cooperation.  I could give a shit about party affiliation.  I care about real issues that need real solutions with effective execution.  Bush has not provided this.  Whether it's the fault of the senate or not, it hasn't happened under his presidency.  We still have rising problems (debt, healthcare, social security, etc.).

I tend to agree more with liberal philosophy without the corruption of the democratic party (similar to liberalism in England).  It's unfortunate America has become a competition between two parties rather than a single entity which attempts to accomplish problems for the greater good.  I'm sure democrats and republicans both want to reach the same overall goals (excluding controversal issues of course such as abortion, death penalty, etc.) such as energy, oil dependency, goals in Iraq, social security, health care, etc.
February 1, 2006, 7:12 AM
Myndfyr
[quote author=Mephisto link=topic=14079.msg144093#msg144093 date=1138777937]
[/quote]

Actually, no.  A good senate is one with bi-partisan cooperation.
[/quote]
You're right.  Let's talk about bi-partisan cooperation.  Republicans during Clinton's administration, knowing full well that she would vote to uphold Roe v Wade, voted bi-partisan 98-0 to support Ruth Bader Ginsberg to the Supreme Court.  Judge Alito, someone likely to vote to overturn the issue but still claiming willingness to take into account past support for the case, with all the support of the American Bar Association, gets the smallest margin in history of 58-42.

Miguel Estrada -- filibustered off of the federal Appelate Court.

New Orleans - a democratic mayor and democratic governor refuse to evacuate the city and then blame federal authorities who had warned them prior to Hurricane Katrina to evacuate.  I saw the warnings on the news several days before the hurricane hit.  I live in Arizona.

Just some of the examples of the bi-partisan cooperation we've seen coming from the minority party this time around.
February 1, 2006, 7:44 AM
CrAz3D
From what I'm seeing on the news it looks like both sides are on w/what Bush said last night.
February 1, 2006, 2:09 PM
Mephisto
[quote author=MyndFyre link=topic=14079.msg144095#msg144095 date=1138779894]
[quote author=Mephisto link=topic=14079.msg144093#msg144093 date=1138777937]
[/quote]

Actually, no.  A good senate is one with bi-partisan cooperation.
[/quote]
You're right.  Let's talk about bi-partisan cooperation.  Republicans during Clinton's administration, knowing full well that she would vote to uphold Roe v Wade, voted bi-partisan 98-0 to support Ruth Bader Ginsberg to the Supreme Court.  Judge Alito, someone likely to vote to overturn the issue but still claiming willingness to take into account past support for the case, with all the support of the American Bar Association, gets the smallest margin in history of 58-42.

Miguel Estrada -- filibustered off of the federal Appelate Court.

New Orleans - a democratic mayor and democratic governor refuse to evacuate the city and then blame federal authorities who had warned them prior to Hurricane Katrina to evacuate.  I saw the warnings on the news several days before the hurricane hit.  I live in Arizona.

Just some of the examples of the bi-partisan cooperation we've seen coming from the minority party this time around.
[/quote]

Why do you people continue to act like I'm some liberal scum and refute everything I say back like I'm an idiot?  Whoever said I was a democrat in the first place?  Besides, we're talking about the present Myndfyre.  Who honestly gives a shit about the past?  Here we go again promoting a fight between Democrats vs. Republicans: which is better, which is more bi-partisand, which is more efficient, which has better ideas, etc.
February 1, 2006, 3:28 PM
Stealth
[quote author=Mephisto link=topic=14079.msg144063#msg144063 date=1138766388]
Seems like the same ol' stuff we've all heard before from him, just stated more boldly, but ultimately the same failed crap.  Quite honestly, I hope this time he makes good on his claims, and this doesn't turn into a repeat of 2005 where a bunch of promised goals remained unfulfilled and misguided.  I do like some of his plans though, particuarily with education boosts and his attempt to solve our energy crisis, but I somehow doubt his ability to make it happen, especially with the mockery of our U.S. Senate which lacks bi-partisan cooperation.
[/quote]

I don't understand how lacking bipartisan cooperation will prevent any of his plans from taking place -- as long as the Republican majority stays with his plans, they will be put into place, and any Democrats who support them as well can just be added to tally.

[quote author=Mephisto link=topic=14079.msg144109#msg144109 date=1138807688]
Why do you people continue to act like I'm some liberal scum and refute everything I say back like I'm an idiot? [/quote]

He's not refuting you "like you're an idiot" -- in fact, his post made no attempt to characterize you as such. The fact is that you called the U.S. Senate a "mockery" and say that it "lacks bi-partisan cooperation", which implies that you're upset that the Republicans won't listen to the Democrats. This is because the Democrats are the minority -- they're not used to it, so they're whining.

[quote]Whoever said I was a democrat in the first place?[/quote]

Your positions, based on your posts (which rarely have factual evidence behind them) would place you squarely in that category.

[quote]Besides, we're talking about the present Myndfyre.  Who honestly gives a shit about the past?[/quote]

What you said was that the current Senate has no bipartisanship. He's giving you examples of how, when the Democrats had the majority, there was bipartisanship, and now there isn't. He's showing you that the reason for a lack of bipartisanship are the people whose ideologies you agree with.

[quote]Here we go again promoting a fight between Democrats vs. Republicans: which is better, which is more bi-partisand, which is more efficient, which has better ideas, etc.
[/quote]

That's what politics is, in a nutshell. I really do believe that both parties want what's best for America; however, the argument comes from how you achieve that ideal. The parties disagree on the means to the end, but they agree on the end.
February 1, 2006, 6:23 PM
Myndfyr
I was going to reply... but Stealth made all my points for me.  :D
February 1, 2006, 6:47 PM
CrAz3D
[quote author=MyndFyre link=topic=14079.msg144137#msg144137 date=1138819638]
I was going to reply... but Stealth made all my points for me.  :D
[/quote]
Word homie.
However, I would like to emphasize that EVERYONE should "give a shit about the past."
[quote author=Mephisto link=topic=14079.msg144109#msg144109 date=1138807688]
Who honestly gives a shit about the past?
[/quote]
What's the say?..."those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it"?
February 1, 2006, 10:13 PM

Search