Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Good C.S. Schools

AuthorMessageTime
Trance
I've decided that I would like to take a look at some good computer science schools. Trouble is I really don't know any. So it'd be a great help to me if you guys could suggest some.
January 28, 2006, 9:25 AM
St0rm.iD
Cornell, MIT, Brown, Urbana-Champagne
January 28, 2006, 5:40 PM
peofeoknight
Generally it goes hand in hand with an engineerng program... like good engineering schools have go EE and ECPE (electrical computer engineering) programs and then have good software engineering programs and then have got comp sci programs.

Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, UF, and Auburn were the schools I looked at... But I'm an ECPE major
January 28, 2006, 5:47 PM
kamakazie
I wouldn't really worry about cs department rankings as an undergrad (just as long as it is not a shitty java school :P). You're generally going to be taught the same circulum as you would at the better cs schools. The school you choose matters most during your graduate years because you'll have access to better research resources (if that is what you want to do).

A word to the wise, CS is not programming. A lot of undergrads here come into CS thinking they're just going to program. It's a lot of math, and is very time consuming. If you really want to program, then I'd recommend software engineering or something along those lines. Likewise, if you're more into the hardware, then Computer Engineering might be a better choice.
January 28, 2006, 6:02 PM
Networks
Apply to Georgia Tech, that's where I really want to go and they are known to have a AWESOME CS program Trance. Plus Madd0x is there!
January 28, 2006, 7:38 PM
bethra
University of Virginia is probably the best Virginia University for Comp Sci, it also has a very good Graduate program.  However, UVA is like the hardest Virginia University to get into.  The average undergrad high school GPA for UVA is like a 4.0, which includes weighted classes like AP courses.

I'd say that Virginia Tech has probably the second best Comp Sci program and not as hard to get into.

I don't know very much about institutions other than VA ones, however MIT, CalTech (If you're west coast), Cornell, GA Tech.

A word of advice, don't just choose a college because of it's program.  Statistically, most undergads change their major at least once, however this is not so for all since I highly doubt I will change mine.  However I know a lot of freshman who come in declared as CS majors and then change their mind after taking the first CS course.

There are many more factors you should take into consideration other than CS program comparisons.  For example, do you mind having huge classes where interaction with your professors is limited, or would you rather have smaller classes where there is more individual attention?
January 28, 2006, 9:45 PM
peofeoknight
UVA? I thought VT was the technical and engineering school in VA. I knwo they have an amazin cs dept. I almost ended up at VT. Plus blacksburg rocks :P Its so pretty there.

But Auburn is absolutely the best school ever. Everyone sould go to auburn because auburn pwns.
January 28, 2006, 11:50 PM
hismajesty
[quote author=quasi-modo link=topic=14034.msg143603#msg143603 date=1138492217]
UVA? I thought VT was the technical and engineering school in VA. I knwo they have an amazin cs dept. I almost ended up at VT. Plus blacksburg rocks :P Its so pretty there.

But Auburn is absolutely the best school ever. Everyone sould go to auburn because auburn pwns.
[/quote]

VT kicks The University's ass in Engineering, but that's pretty much all it's better in. Besides football, I guess.

January 29, 2006, 9:06 PM
peofeoknight
eh vt is gonna suck now... no more marcus vick because he is an idiot and doesn't like to follow the law.
January 30, 2006, 1:08 AM
Trance
Thanks guys, I'll make a trip to some of those campuses in the summer to see which I feel most comfortable with.
January 30, 2006, 6:05 AM

Search