Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Computer Support Issues | Display Issues

AuthorMessageTime
JACD
my current display is set at 1400x1050, which takes up the entire screen. when i try to play a full screen application, like starcraft or diablo, it only takes up a small box in the middle of the screen. i know starcraft/diablo only runs at 640x480, but how do other computers like my desktop computer, which has a higher display than 640x480 play starcraft at full screen with no black space around it?

first i asked a blizzard representative, but they refered me to dell support because my laptop manufactuer is dell. then, i asked dell support, however they told me to do a bunch of other crap that had nothing to do with my issue.

any suggestions?
January 27, 2006, 4:12 PM
FrOzeN
[quote author=JACD link=topic=14030.msg143399#msg143399 date=1138378363]
my current display is set at 1400x1050, which takes up the entire screen. when i try to play a full screen application, like starcraft or diablo, it only takes up a small box in the middle of the screen. i know starcraft/diablo only runs at 640x480, but how do other computers like my desktop computer, which has a higher display than 640x480 play starcraft at full screen with no black space around it?
[/quote]
The reason it does this is because when you open StarCraft it changes your resolution to 640x480 and when you close/minimize it puts it back to it's current state.

I've had the same problem that when it attempts to change the resolution on my dad's (Compaq) laptop it, instead of changing the resolution it just centre's StarCraft using the 640x480 dimensions but still on your same resolution having black space around.

Not sure of solution, just though I'd post the reason behind it.
January 28, 2006, 2:28 AM
JoeTheOdd
I could be completely wrong, but oh well. Are you running StarCraft as an Administrator, or a Limited user? If your running it as Limited, you might not be able to change the screen resolution, which may cause strange results.

EDIT -
If you aren't bothered about it's smallness, try DxWnd, written by Skywing.
January 28, 2006, 5:06 AM
Kp
[quote author=Joe link=topic=14030.msg143493#msg143493 date=1138424796]
I could be completely wrong, but oh well. Are you running StarCraft as an Administrator, or a Limited user? If your running it as Limited, you might not be able to change the screen resolution, which may cause strange results.[/quote]

Limited users can change the resolution with no problem, at least on Windows 2000.  I never log in as Administrator, and Starcraft works fine for me.  I'd guess that there's a buggy display driver not honoring the change request.

JACD: try manually changing your resolution to 640x480x256 before starting Starcraft.  It's not a very nice workaround, but if it works, you could look into automating it.  For instance, have a helper that changes resolution, launches Starcraft, then reverts the resolution when you quit.  You'd still be stuck with ugly 640x480 when you tab out of Starcraft, but at least it'd solve your main problem.
January 28, 2006, 5:15 PM

Search