Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | C/C++ Programming | I have a quick q for you guys.

AuthorMessageTime
Final
Ok I have been interested in Artificial Intellegence. How would I go about making one. I know thats there ppl that do code to make it look like an AI for example:

if(personsaid=="hello")
{
botsay: hello;
}

All I see that todo is a cause and effect.
I wanted to create an AI in c++ programming which is real I know it would take months even years But im willing to do anything on learning how to make one effectively so does anyone know were togo or what to do?
January 14, 2006, 9:34 AM
Topaz
That isn't even real AI, so don't address it as such.
January 14, 2006, 11:03 AM
Quarantine
Use strcmp() for string comparisons.

I havn't really messed with AI, so I can't help you there.
January 14, 2006, 12:35 PM
Mephisto
[quote author=Final link=topic=13906.msg141778#msg141778 date=1137231272]
Ok I have been interested in Artificial Intellegence. How would I go about making one. I know thats there ppl that do code to make it look like an AI for example:

if(personsaid=="hello")
{
botsay: hello;
}

All I see that todo is a cause and effect.
I wanted to create an AI in c++ programming which is real I know it would take months even years But im willing to do anything on learning how to make one effectively so does anyone know were togo or what to do?
[/quote]

I'll just say the obvious: you don't know C++ (which I assume is what you're trying to do this in) and therefore you stand before enormous obstacles before you can achieve this.

Therefore, my suggestion, and the suggestion of 90% of the people here, would be to go learn C++ first rather than waste your time trying to accomplish something that's simply out of your reach; it'll dirve you insane if you try.

Also, AI is somewhat controversal about implementation, to its extent, and exactly what you are trying to accomplish with it, neither of which were specified in your post.
January 14, 2006, 3:33 PM
Yegg
AI in C++? I recommend learning LISP (GNU CLISP is what I'd recommend if you're using Windows, else some other CommonLisp implementation) and then working on this project. You would be amazed at how much easier the task would be.
January 14, 2006, 7:00 PM
K
I would recommend using a library like rebeccaAIML instead of starting from scratch.  I used a C# library similar to this to create a battle.net chatterbot a while back.
January 14, 2006, 9:10 PM
Final
Ok well seeems that there nothing under the subject but yeah Ill just try creating some sort of ai using c++.

And for the record i do know c++ im  making the ai in a win32 api ty very much so yeah ill see what i can get done i have it worked out i think just having some difficult issues then i can mmake it work hehe.
January 14, 2006, 9:36 PM
warz
You're making the AI in Win32 API?
January 14, 2006, 10:49 PM
Mephisto
[quote author=Final link=topic=13906.msg141838#msg141838 date=1137274595]
And for the record i do know c++ im  making the ai in a win32 api ty very much so yeah ill see what i can get done i have it worked out i think just having some difficult issues then i can mmake it work hehe.
[/quote]

Based on your initial post it seems you are quite unfamiliar with the language to assert that you know it.  You also seem clueless as to what you are doing to accomplish your project?  What do you mean you're going to use the Win32 API to implement AI scematics?  And exactly what are you trying to accomplish with AI as it is such a broad subject.
January 14, 2006, 11:16 PM
Myndfyr
Guys, seriously, before trying to assert technical superiority, give him a break.  He does sound stupid atm, but there's a chance he was writing pseudocode in the original post.  That syntax doesn't really look like anything that I'm familiar with... kind of like a bastardization of C and Pascal.

Final: that will not be an effective AI.  An AI must be able to learn responses (otherwise it's not an AI).  Cause-and-effect hard-coded in is nothing more than simple procedural programming.
January 15, 2006, 7:56 PM
JoeTheOdd
[pre]#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main() {
  string input = "";
  cin >> input;
  switch(input) {
    case "hello":
      cout << "Hello!" << endl;
    default:
      cout << "I don't understand! Why are you telling me this?!" << endl;
  }
  return EXIT_SUCCESS;
}[/pre]

Can C++ switch on strings? =/.
January 15, 2006, 8:07 PM
Yoni
no
January 15, 2006, 10:45 PM
LoRd
[quote author=MyndFyre link=topic=13906.msg141937#msg141937 date=1137355008]
Guys, seriously, before trying to assert technical superiority, give him a break.  He does sound stupid atm, but there's a chance he was writing pseudocode in the original post.  That syntax doesn't really look like anything that I'm familiar with... kind of like a bastardization of C and Pascal.

Final: that will not be an effective AI.  An AI must be able to learn responses (otherwise it's not an AI).  Cause-and-effect hard-coded in is nothing more than simple procedural programming.
[/quote]

I've helped this kid online a few times and find him to be very ignorant and he lacks the will to do any real learning.  You try to help him; he says you're wrong and continues to go about what he was doing.  You recommend that he purchase a book so that he can better understand the language that he's attempting to program in; he Google's a tutorial to steal code from.  He's just looking for someone to agree with him and perhaps provide an easy example from which he can copy and change into his own.
January 15, 2006, 10:53 PM
JoeTheOdd
Is that Koolman or whatever from SB.net?

@Yoni:
MENTAL.. PUPPY.. DAMNIT.
January 16, 2006, 2:58 AM
Ender
Ok well seeems that there nothing under the subject but yeah Ill just try creating some sort of ai using c++.
And for the record i do know c++ im making the ai in a win32 api ty very much so yeah ill see what i can get done i have it worked out i think just having some difficult issues then i can mmake it work hehe.
[/quote]

[quote author=Mephisto link=topic=13906.msg141789#msg141789 date=1137252786]
I'll just say the obvious: you don't know C++ (which I assume is what you're trying to do this in) and therefore you stand before enormous obstacles before you can achieve this.

Therefore, my suggestion, and the suggestion of 90% of the people here, would be to go learn C++ first rather than waste your time trying to accomplish something that's simply out of your reach; it'll dirve you insane if you try.
[/quote]

Correction: Final, first learn English and then learn C++.

February 3, 2006, 11:39 PM
Brandon
[quote author=Ender link=topic=13906.msg144470#msg144470 date=1139009979]
And for the record i do know c++ im making the ai in a win32 api ty very much so yeah ill see what i can get done i have it worked out i think just having some difficult issues then i can mmake it work hehe.
[/quote]

[quote author=Mephisto link=topic=13906.msg141789#msg141789 date=1137252786]

[/quote]

Correction: Final, first learn English and then learn C++.

[/quote]
Ditto!!
February 4, 2006, 1:19 AM

Search