Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Politics | Virginia executionee proved guilty, again

AuthorMessageTime
CrAz3D
http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/01/12/dna.execution.ap/index.html

I remember this being mentioned before, but after searching a bit I didn't find it.

ANYWAYS, so there has not been an innocent man executed in the United States in the lifting of the moritorium in 1976.
Pretty interesting, sorta puts a damper on Gov. Warner's little publicity-like stunt.

To me it loosk as though he was hoping to find out the this guy was innocent & to ride the wave of anti-capital punishment-ness all the way to the White House in 2008.
January 12, 2006, 11:18 PM
Spilled[DW]
[quote author=CrAz3D link=topic=13892.msg141581#msg141581 date=1137107897]
To me it loosk as though he was hoping to find out the this guy was innocent & to ride the wave of anti-capital punishment-ness all the way to the White House in 2008.
[/quote]

Good point.
January 12, 2006, 11:25 PM
Grok
There has been no proof that an innocent person has been executed by capital punishment, which is entirely different from saying that no innocent person has been executed.  The lack of proof that someone is innocent does not mean they are not innocent.  Had they proof of innocense in the first place, they probably would not be found guilty.  That's also not to say that they were proven guilty, just that they were found to be guilty by a judge or jury.

And also you may wish to recall that a large number of death sentences were recently transmuted to life sentences when the Supreme Court ruled that only juries can recommend death, yet in hundreds of cases the juries had recommended life in prison and the judge changed it to death sentence, which he is not allowed to do.
January 13, 2006, 8:28 AM
CrAz3D
[quote author=Grok link=topic=13892.msg141632#msg141632 date=1137140895]
And also you may wish to recall that a large number of death sentences were recently transmuted to life sentences when the Supreme Court ruled that only juries can recommend death, yet in hundreds of cases the juries had recommended life in prison and the judge changed it to death sentence, which he is not allowed to do.
[/quote]hmm, did not know that.

January 13, 2006, 4:00 PM

Search