Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Politics | Re: Talk about censorship

AuthorMessageTime
CrAz3D
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/oxfordshire/4606022.stm

January 12, 2006, 5:49 PM
peofeoknight
eh... i don't see taking someone to court over that, but the guy is still an ass hole... mouthing off to a cop. In a perfect world the cop would have just been able to take out his baton and give him a nice thump.
January 12, 2006, 6:44 PM
Forged
God, what is this world coming to.... The guy spent a night in jail because he might have offended someone.
January 12, 2006, 7:26 PM
Explicit[nK]
It seems to me that the police officer was the one who found it offensive, particularly because it embarassed him.  What does he decide to do?  Make use of his authorital position and arrest the student.  It's sad...
January 12, 2006, 8:35 PM
CrAz3D
[quote author=Explicit[nK] link=topic=13891.msg141551#msg141551 date=1137098102]
It seems to me that the police officer was the one who found it offensive, particularly because it embarassed him.  What does he decide to do?  Make use of his authorital position and arrest the student.  It's sad...
[/quote]There is a law, it seems, about making homophobic remarks.  Per the law, as I see it, the officer was correct in arresting the student.  Its a stupid law probably made to prevent gay verbal-bashing.
January 12, 2006, 10:11 PM
Explicit[nK]
[quote author=CrAz3D link=topic=13891.msg141562#msg141562 date=1137103880]
[quote author=Explicit[nK] link=topic=13891.msg141551#msg141551 date=1137098102]
It seems to me that the police officer was the one who found it offensive, particularly because it embarassed him. What does he decide to do? Make use of his authorital position and arrest the student. It's sad...
[/quote]There is a law, it seems, about making homophobic remarks. Per the law, as I see it, the officer was correct in arresting the student. Its a stupid law probably made to prevent gay verbal-bashing.
[/quote]

I can understand if it was enacted to prevent gay bashing, but the article states, "He made homophobic comments that were deemed offensive to people passing by."  Since no one came out and said that the student's remark was offensive, I don't see any reason for the police officer to arrest him.
January 12, 2006, 10:19 PM
CrAz3D
Public Order Act Section 5 says...

[quote](1)  A person is guilty of an offence if he—

(a) uses threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, or disorderly behaviour, or

(b) displays any writing, sign or other visible representation which is threatening, abusive or insulting, [/quote]
Seems someone got insulted so they arrested him.

http://www.webtribe.net/~shg/Public%20Order%20Act%201986%20(1986%20c%2064)%20Sect%204A,%205,%206.htm
January 12, 2006, 10:23 PM
Explicit[nK]
[quote author=CrAz3D link=topic=13891.msg141566#msg141566 date=1137104601]

[quote](1) A person is guilty of an offence if he—

(a) uses threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, or disorderly behaviour, or

(b) displays any writing, sign or other visible representation which is threatening, abusive or insulting, [/quote]

http://www.webtribe.net/~shg/Public%20Order%20Act%201986%20(1986%20c%2064)%20Sect%204A,%205,%206.htm
[/quote]

I guess.  IMO though, it's a stupid law.
January 12, 2006, 10:25 PM
CrAz3D
[quote author=Explicit[nK] link=topic=13891.msg141568#msg141568 date=1137104715]
[quote author=CrAz3D link=topic=13891.msg141566#msg141566 date=1137104601]

[quote](1) A person is guilty of an offence if he—

[/quote]

I guess.  IMO though, it's a stupid law.
[/quote]It is, people get their feelings hurt so you go to jail...dumb, w/e though
January 12, 2006, 10:26 PM
Explicit[nK]
Hmm, the article made no mention of someone reporting the student's remark as offensive besides the police officer having taken action by arresting him.  Again, the article states, "He made homophobic comments that were deemed offensive to people passing by."  Would that make the officer the passerbyer?  If so, he would be arresting the student on behalf of his own feelings and not on people actually passing by.

Blah, just ranting, so don't mind me.
January 12, 2006, 10:37 PM
CrAz3D
Maybe some people looked @ the kid like he was retarded, I dunno.
Maybe the officer can judge was is offensive & not.
January 12, 2006, 10:39 PM
Yegg
[quote author=CrAz3D link=topic=13891.msg141573#msg141573 date=1137105563]
[/quote]

Anyone can judge what is offensive and what isn't. It's their opinion on the matter.

I think that the statement made by Mr. Brown could have been very offensive to the officer. It was directed to his horse. How do we know that his horse was not a very important part of his life? People have dogs in which they love very dearly, as if it was a person or a family member. The same case can be with a horse, or any other animal at that.

The kid should be put in jail for atleast three days. It will teach him a lesson to not to something that he never should have done in the first place.

January 12, 2006, 10:44 PM
Arta
Bad application of a good law. Homophobia is the last commonly accepted prejudice. Legislation to make clear that homophiba is just like any other form of bigotry is good.

This student, however, doesn't seem to have done anything particularly bad - this kind of law should be used to prosecute hateful gay-basing bigots, not students who make unwise off-the-cuff comments.
January 12, 2006, 10:49 PM
CrAz3D
[quote author=Arta[vL] link=topic=13891.msg141575#msg141575 date=1137106156]
Bad application of a good law. Homophobia is the last commonly accepted prejudice. Legislation to make clear that homophiba is just like any other form of bigotry is good.

This student, however, doesn't seem to have done anything particularly bad - this kind of law should be used to prosecute hateful gay-basing bigots, not students who make unwise off-the-cuff comments.
[/quote]It is actually a law against disorderly conduct, I speculated incorretly above.

The kid could've said "go screw your horse" & it would've been the same disorderly conduct.  The kid broke the law.  Its a petty offense, but an offense nonetheless.

EDIT:
After thinkin about it more, I spose it isn't really censorship as I originally though, more about public decency
January 12, 2006, 10:55 PM
Explicit[nK]
[quote author=Yegg link=topic=13891.msg141574#msg141574 date=1137105884]
[/quote]

Anyone can judge what is offensive and what isn't. It's their opinion on the matter.

I think that the statement made by Mr. Brown could have been very offensive to the officer. It was directed to his horse. How do we know that his horse was not a very important part of his life? People have dogs in which they love very dearly, as if it was a person or a family member. The same case can be with a horse, or any other animal at that.

The kid should be put in jail for atleast three days. It will teach him a lesson to not to something that he never should have done in the first place.

[/quote]

If the officer shared a family-type bond with the horse, and were very intimate with it, wouldn't he have picked up on the horse's subtle gestures that he were gay?

[quote]"Excuse me, do you realize that your horse is gay?"[/quote]

Also, seeing as to how the article made no mention of the tone the student carried, I would think the above statement was made with respect, and he was merely pointing it out.
January 13, 2006, 12:08 AM
Yegg
[quote author=Explicit[nK] link=topic=13891.msg141587#msg141587 date=1137110889]
[quote author=Yegg link=topic=13891.msg141574#msg141574 date=1137105884]
[/quote]

[/quote]

If the officer shared a family-type bond with the horse, and were very intimate with it, wouldn't he have picked up on the horse's subtle gestures that he were gay?

[quote]"Excuse me, do you realize that your horse is gay?"[/quote]

Also, seeing as to how the article made no mention of the tone the student carried, I would think the above statement was made with respect, and he was merely pointing it out.
[/quote]

He was not pointing anything out. It also mentions how he was with a group of friends. What are the odds that he would "merely point" something that innapropriate out? He was obviously joking around but it was still offensive. Joking to perhaps entertain his buddies?
January 13, 2006, 2:48 AM
Grok
Holy crap I can't believe you're arguing about this instead of finding it highly oppressive legally.  If you cannot ask someone if they know their horse is gay without being charged criminally and going to jail, then your country is FUCKED UP and you are living in tyranny.  Worse is you don't even know it.

Someone should be able to walk right up to another person and say "I think you are gay." and suffer no legal consequences.  They are only making a statement of what they think, not representing it as fact, as in "I have proof you are gay." which would then be slander, IF it is likely people would believe it as fact.  Parody is offensive speech in which lies are told in ways people are unlikely to confuse as fact.

Now offensive speech about an animal is a crminal act?  Wake the fuck up people.  What if he said "Excuse me, did you know your horse is ugly?"  That should be equally offensive unless the officer is homophobic and has a problem with gays.

Seriously people need to get a grip on their governments and stop allowing stupid shit like this to be passed as laws.  Laws like this will always be used in the worst possible way no matter what is said when the laws are created about how they will only be used in the most extreme case.
January 13, 2006, 8:23 AM
CrAz3D
I believe we've all agreed that it is a ridiculous law, we're just commenting about whether or not it was right to arrest the kid under the law.
January 13, 2006, 3:58 PM
Arta
This is a bad application of a good law.

First off, I think he was arrested for public disorder, not for being homophobic. Public disorder laws are there to allow the police to arrest people who are making a nuisence of themselves: most commonly, drunken idiots, and people shouting at their girlfriend's closed front door at 2am. Nothing wrong with that.

Second, even if it was a homophobia law, such a law would not be bad. This would still be a stupid incident, but anti-homophobia laws are good, just the same way that anti-racism laws are good.

Third, even though this is a stupid incident, it's not entirely unexpected, since the guy's intent was obviously to make fun of a police officer. That's a blatently moronic thing to do.

Finally, I agree with Grok to an extent. This incident is indeed a symptom of a broken system. The government here is systematically granting the police more and more powers while reducing the judiciary's oversight. The situation is abominable, and is an issue about which I am greatly concerned. I'd be happy to go into it in another thread if anyone's interested.
January 13, 2006, 5:12 PM
CrAz3D
[quote author=Arta[vL] link=topic=13891.msg141671#msg141671 date=1137172325]
This is a bad application of a good law.

First off, I think he was arrested for public disorder, not for being homophobic. Public disorder laws are there to allow the police to arrest people who are making a nuisence of themselves: most commonly, drunken idiots, and people shouting at their girlfriend's closed front door at 2am. Nothing wrong with that.

Second, even if it was a homophobia law, such a law would not be bad. This would still be a stupid incident, but anti-homophobia laws are good, just the same way that anti-racism laws are good.

Third, even though this is a stupid incident, it's not entirely unexpected, since the guy's intent was obviously to make fun of a police officer. That's a blatently moronic thing to do.

Finally, I agree with Grok to an extent. This incident is indeed a symptom of a broken system. The government here is systematically granting the police more and more powers while reducing the judiciary's oversight. The situation is abominable, and is an issue about which I am greatly concerned. I'd be happy to go into it in another thread if anyone's interested.
[/quote]
He very well could have been under the influence.
I can't see a sober person randomly walkin up to a cop sayin his horse is gay.
"A night out with friends ... after his final exams"...I'd assume he was drunk, the article doesn't give much information though :(.
January 13, 2006, 6:06 PM
Yegg
[quote author=Grok link=topic=13891.msg141631#msg141631 date=1137140622]
Someone should be able to walk right up to another person and say "I think you are gay." and suffer no legal consequences.  They are only making a statement of what they think, not representing it as fact, as in "I have proof you are gay." which would then be slander, IF it is likely people would believe it as fact.  Parody is offensive speech in which lies are told in ways people are unlikely to confuse as fact.
[/quote]

So what you're saying is that people should be able to say anything they feel about another without any kind of trouble? They could very well know it will offend the person, but why should they be able to say it anyways? Not that I do, but what if I were to call you a "homosexual bastard"? I'm sure you would take offense by this. Whether it's a very strong statement, or perhaps a more mild one. Either way it's still offensive and one should not verbally express how they feel about another with that person. It's inappropriate and just isn't right.
January 13, 2006, 8:24 PM
hismajesty
I'd definitely challenge them to prove the passerbys were offended.
January 13, 2006, 9:15 PM
Explicit[nK]
[quote author=hismajesty[yL] link=topic=13891.msg141695#msg141695 date=1137186909]
I'd definitely challenge them to prove the passerbys were offended.
[/quote]

Same.
January 13, 2006, 9:29 PM
Forged
[quote author=Yegg link=topic=13891.msg141687#msg141687 date=1137183849]
[/quote]

So what you're saying is that people should be able to say anything they feel about another without any kind of trouble? They could very well know it will offend the person, but why should they be able to say it anyways? Not that I do, but what if I were to call you a "homosexual bastard"? I'm sure you would take offense by this. Whether it's a very strong statement, or perhaps a more mild one. Either way it's still offensive and one should not verbally express how they feel about another with that person. It's inappropriate and just isn't right.
[/quote]

That is exactlly what I am saying, I think I should be able to look at you and say "Hey you're a fucking twat, faggot"  I would deserve an ass beating sure, but I should not be able to be arrested for it.  It is scary that goverments are moving in that direction, and even scarier that some of the youth seem to approve of it.
January 13, 2006, 10:18 PM
CrAz3D
[quote author=Forged link=topic=13891.msg141702#msg141702 date=1137190706]
[/quote]

[/quote]

That is exactlly what I am saying, I think I should be able to look at you and say "Hey you're a fucking twat, faggot"  I would deserve an ass beating sure, but I should not be able to be arrested for it.  It is scary that goverments are moving in that direction, and even scarier that some of the youth seem to approve of it.
[/quote]You could probably be arrested for public indecency for using the words "fucking, twat, & faggot"
January 13, 2006, 11:32 PM
Yegg
[quote author=Forged link=topic=13891.msg141702#msg141702 date=1137190706]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Would you rather have it legal for people to publicly beat the shit out of you until you are in critical condition? Or simply go to jail for a night?
January 14, 2006, 12:29 AM
Grok
What it is doing is exactly what Yegg and others are demonstrating -- it is making you feel that you need the governments protection on everything, including against being personally insulted.  This creates a people who are not responsible for themselves, their own thoughts and feelings, rather the goverment will tell you how to feel.  They will take care of things when you are insulted, its ok.

If you kick that person's ass, well, go to court and try to convince the judge you were justified in physical assault.

This is not even about a verbal assault.  Rather, the guy made a joke that was found offensive.

Can you see dragging people off the stage because their jokes are offensive and intended to be offensive?

Seriously, get a grip.  We are not a flock of sheep needing the government's protection from the wind blowing too hard.
January 14, 2006, 4:41 AM
Arta
We have no laws that prohibit offending people.
January 14, 2006, 1:06 PM
CrAz3D
[quote author=Arta[vL] link=topic=13891.msg141783#msg141783 date=1137243997]
[/quote]
You don't have public deceny laws?...
January 14, 2006, 4:52 PM
Yegg
[quote author=Grok link=topic=13891.msg141762#msg141762 date=1137213707]
What it is doing is exactly what Yegg and others are demonstrating -- it is making you feel that you need the governments protection on everything, including against being personally insulted.  This creates a people who are not responsible for themselves, their own thoughts and feelings, rather the goverment will tell you how to feel.  They will take care of things when you are insulted, its ok.

If you kick that person's ass, well, go to court and try to convince the judge you were justified in physical assault.

This is not even about a verbal assault.  Rather, the guy made a joke that was found offensive.

Can you see dragging people off the stage because their jokes are offensive and intended to be offensive?

Seriously, get a grip.  We are not a flock of sheep needing the government's protection from the wind blowing too hard.
[/quote]

If I were to beat on someone pretty bad for making a joke about me, taking them to court or them taking me to court will most likely not guarantee me a win.

Jokes on a stage? I'm guessing you are referring more to comedians? Well they have "the right" to make such jokes. When you step into an auditorium or other type of room where such an event may be held, you are risking the possibility of being made fun of, so you agree that it is alright for them to do so. However you should not have to agree to this same thing every time you simply want to step outside.
January 14, 2006, 5:01 PM
Ishbar
I think Grok is right, more so than Yegg.
Everything today is intended to be politically correct, sexuality, religion, ethnicity, and sex. If such laws were to be put in effect if "someone" were offended, wouldn't they have to go on the judgment of "someone" who is most offended by that subject? You want something offensive?
Laws that single out certain groups of people, i.e.; "Gay Bashing".

If someone wants to make a crack about someone that’s gay, let them, nearly 99% of all jokes are derogatory towards straight people, so if anything, gays who contribute to the 1% that tell the other 99% would be doing the same thing as us. Though instead, is I or anyone makes a gay joke its automatically "offensive", being offended is someone’s opinion, as long as the jokes morally and ethically sound there is no problem with it. I'm sick and tired of people getting special privileges, the real problem aren’t people,” not getting a fair chance". In kindergarten it may have. When Jack wouldn't share his yoyo with Billy. The problem is that people can't get over themselves, and they can't get over their differences with other people. The guy who made the gay joke was just being like the average young adult student, he wasn't harboring malicious intent to offend Mr. Brown and his "gay" horse.  :-\ People need to grow up.
January 14, 2006, 5:21 PM
Yegg
[quote author=Ishbar link=topic=13891.msg141796#msg141796 date=1137259290]
Everything today is intended to be politically correct, sexuality, religion, ethnicity, and sex. If such laws were to be put in effect if "someone" were offended, wouldn't they have to go on the judgment of "someone" who is most offended by that subject? You want something offensive?

If someone wants to make a crack about someone that’s gay, let them, nearly 99% of all jokes are derogatory towards straight people, so if anything, gays who contribute to the 1% that tell the other 99% would be doing the same thing as us. Though instead, is I or anyone makes a gay joke its automatically "offensive", being offended is someone’s opinion, as long as the jokes morally and ethically sound there is no problem with it. I'm sick and tired of people getting special privileges, the real problem aren’t people,” not getting a fair chance". In kindergarten it may have. When Jack wouldn't share his yoyo with Billy. The problem is that people can't get over themselves, and they can't get over their differences with other people. The guy who made the gay joke was just being like the average young adult student, he wasn't harboring malicious intent to offend Mr. Brown and his "gay" horse.  :-\ People need to grow up.

[/quote]

You people don't seem to be getting the idea. What Mr.Brown said may have not been "malicious" in his eyes or perhaps his intention wasn't to offend anyone, but the fact is that it did offend someone! He knew it would offedn the officer. The average, normal adult would most likely be offended by such a thing. Mr. Brown who is young, obviously knows about this and I'm sure he knew it would offend the officer. But since he was out with his friends this probably didn't cross his mind, he was entertaining his friends and like someone else mentioned, he may have been under the influence of alcohol. If he was drunk to any extent, then he may have made the comment with absolutely no thought of consequences.
January 14, 2006, 6:57 PM
Ishbar
If he was under the influence the article would have stated that, then he would of been prosecuted for drunk and disorderly conduct, and drunk in public.  :-\
January 14, 2006, 7:12 PM
Explicit[nK]
[quote author=Yegg link=topic=13891.msg141809#msg141809 date=1137265050]

If someone wants to make a crack about someone that’s gay, let them, nearly 99% of all jokes are derogatory towards straight people, so if anything, gays who contribute to the 1% that tell the other 99% would be doing the same thing as us. Though instead, is I or anyone makes a gay joke its automatically "offensive", being offended is someone’s opinion, as long as the jokes morally and ethically sound there is no problem with it. I'm sick and tired of people getting special privileges, the real problem aren’t people,” not getting a fair chance". In kindergarten it may have. When Jack wouldn't share his yoyo with Billy. The problem is that people can't get over themselves, and they can't get over their differences with other people. The guy who made the gay joke was just being like the average young adult student, he wasn't harboring malicious intent to offend Mr. Brown and his "gay" horse. :-\ People need to grow up.

[/quote]

You people don't seem to be getting the idea. What Mr.Brown said may have not been "malicious" in his eyes or perhaps his intention wasn't to offend anyone, but the fact is that it did offend someone! He knew it would offedn the officer. The average, normal adult would most likely be offended by such a thing. Mr. Brown who is young, obviously knows about this and I'm sure he knew it would offend the officer. But since he was out with his friends this probably didn't cross his mind, he was entertaining his friends and like someone else mentioned, he may have been under the influence of alcohol. If he was drunk to any extent, then he may have made the comment with absolutely no thought of consequences.
[/quote]

You're speculating.  The student was out with his friends which happened to be after finals.  It doesn't necessarily mean they were under the influence, you're just assuming.
January 14, 2006, 8:21 PM
Yegg
[quote author=Explicit[nK] link=topic=13891.msg141820#msg141820 date=1137270097]
[quote author=Yegg link=topic=13891.msg141809#msg141809 date=1137265050]

If someone wants to make a crack about someone that’s gay, let them, nearly 99% of all jokes are derogatory towards straight people, so if anything, gays who contribute to the 1% that tell the other 99% would be doing the same thing as us. Though instead, is I or anyone makes a gay joke its automatically "offensive", being offended is someone’s opinion, as long as the jokes morally and ethically sound there is no problem with it. I'm sick and tired of people getting special privileges, the real problem aren’t people,” not getting a fair chance". In kindergarten it may have. When Jack wouldn't share his yoyo with Billy. The problem is that people can't get over themselves, and they can't get over their differences with other people. The guy who made the gay joke was just being like the average young adult student, he wasn't harboring malicious intent to offend Mr. Brown and his "gay" horse. :-\ People need to grow up.

[/quote]

[/quote]

You're speculating.  The student was out with his friends which happened to be after finals.  It doesn't necessarily mean they were under the influence, you're just assuming.
[/quote]

I never said they were drunk. I said "he may have been under the influence of alcohol". Not he was under the influence, but he may have been. I also went on to say that if this was the case, then he may not have thought about his comment. So if he wasn't drunk, then the last sentence prooves false.
January 14, 2006, 9:30 PM
Explicit[nK]
[quote author=Yegg link=topic=13891.msg141837#msg141837 date=1137274208]
I never said they were drunk. I said "he may have been under the influence of alcohol". Not he was under the influence, but he may have been. I also went on to say that if this was the case, then he may not have thought about his comment. So if he wasn't drunk, then the last sentence prooves false.
[/quote]

What gives you the notion that he may have been under the influence, though?  It's quite common for people to just blurt things out without running it through in their head.
January 14, 2006, 9:56 PM
Yegg
[quote author=Explicit[nK] link=topic=13891.msg141842#msg141842 date=1137275770]
[quote author=Yegg link=topic=13891.msg141837#msg141837 date=1137274208]
[/quote]

What gives you the notion that he may have been under the influence, though?  It's quite common for people to just blurt things out without running it through in their head.
[/quote]

"like someone else mentioned, he may have been under the influence"

Someone else mentioned it first. So I sort of worked with it, just as a possibility. Never saying that he was in fact drunk, only a possibility. And it was a possibility. Just like there was a possiblity that he had cancer, even though that would be completely irrelevant. It's just to say that it was a possibility. Not a fact or opinion.
January 14, 2006, 10:25 PM
Grok
I'm laughing because you are splitting hairs over an argument regarding whether he was under the influence of alchol as if that has anything to do with throwing someone in jail for making a joke.  Yeh the kid was entertaining his friends!  He walks up to a public figure and ASKS, not TELLS, the mounty if he knew is horse was gay.  It's not even a statement.

To agree with this type of arrest is to say that any political satire or commentary intended to offend the target is to be illegal.  I sure as hell hope we don't go there.

Slippery slope you say?  Yes, I agree and hope you claim it, for every law put in place with good intentions that has bad usages someone has cried "slippery slope, it will be used this way and this way .." to which the lawmakers laugh and say "never" ... and implement the law.  Every time, the law gets misused in the worst possible way.

You cannot or should not legistlate speech that might offend someone as a criminal act.
January 14, 2006, 10:44 PM
Yegg
[quote author=Grok link=topic=13891.msg141847#msg141847 date=1137278684]
I'm laughing because you are splitting hairs over an argument regarding whether he was under the influence of alchol as if that has anything to do with throwing someone in jail for making a joke.  Yeh the kid was entertaining his friends!  He walks up to a public figure and ASKS, not TELLS, the mounty if he knew is horse was gay.  It's not even a statement.

To agree with this type of arrest is to say that any political satire or commentary intended to offend the target is to be illegal.  I sure as hell hope we don't go there.

Slippery slope you say?  Yes, I agree and hope you claim it, for every law put in place with good intentions that has bad usages someone has cried "slippery slope, it will be used this way and this way .." to which the lawmakers laugh and say "never" ... and implement the law.  Every time, the law gets misused in the worst possible way.

You cannot or should not legistlate speech that might offend someone as a criminal act.
[/quote]

So what you're saying, once again, is that we should have all the rights to knowingly offend someone. Why must someone offend another in the first place? Are we as people soemhow required to outwardly express our opinions whether true or false to another? I hope not! I don't think you people are getting the point. Such things shouldn't even occur, people don't need to be offending others as a joke, knowing there is a strong possibility that the individual being offended may take strong offense to it. Unfortunately people are dumbasses and they, for whatever reason, don't have the concept of what is and isn't an offense to another.
January 15, 2006, 12:01 AM
Hitmen
[quote author=Yegg link=topic=13891.msg141855#msg141855 date=1137283304]
we should have all the rights to knowingly offend someone
[/quote]
Yes.
January 15, 2006, 1:16 AM
Yegg
[quote author=Hitmen link=topic=13891.msg141863#msg141863 date=1137287803]
[/quote]
Yes.
[/quote]

Too bad that's not what I want if that's what you are trying to imply.
January 15, 2006, 1:58 AM
SNiFFeR
[quote author=Yegg link=topic=13891.msg141870#msg141870 date=1137290309]
[quote author=Hitmen link=topic=13891.msg141863#msg141863 date=1137287803]
[/quote]
Yes.
[/quote]

Too bad that's not what I want if that's what you are trying to imply.
[/quote]

And I think we've all come to notice the world revolves around you, and what you want.

On the topic note:
I really feel bad for those people that are not secure enough with themselfs to take a simple derogatory comment. Honestly, do you really get offended that harshly from words?

I'd rather take some abusive language than violence (fist to skull). I really thought we were a more advanced culture. I can understand if you break someone's face you goto jail. So, you call someone/something gay and then you goto jail. Hmm. That means, why bother saying anything, I'll just go break your face and get put it jail.
January 15, 2006, 2:49 AM
Grok
Im not even talking about whether people should "have the right to offend someone" whatever that is.  The point is that attempting to criminalize such speech is an open door to corruption and misuse.  It's a bad law and should not exist.  For example, it requires in this case a judgment by someone as to whether they think the guy was trying to offend.  Perhaps he wasn't.  Maybe he was making a joke.  Maybe he thought the horse was gay.  Maybe he thought the policeman did not know his police was gay and was doing a public service by telling him so.  See how ridiculous it gets?  Now if you accept that "how the policeman felt about it as being offensive" is legitimate, then I say your whole argument is offensive to me, and you must accept it and go to jail because I am offended.
January 15, 2006, 3:40 AM
Arta
[quote author=CrAz3D link=topic=13891.msg141792#msg141792 date=1137257554]
[/quote]
[/quote]

My bad. We do, of course. I was referring more to the kind of offense Grok is talking about: calling someone an idiot or insulting their religion. That is not illegal.
January 16, 2006, 12:42 AM
CrAz3D
[quote author=Arta[vL] link=topic=13891.msg141975#msg141975 date=1137372144]
[quote author=CrAz3D link=topic=13891.msg141792#msg141792 date=1137257554]
[/quote]
[/quote]

My bad. We do, of course. I was referring more to the kind of offense Grok is talking about: calling someone an idiot or insulting their religion. That is not illegal.
[/quote]If you insult someone using profanity that someone could still be prosecuted.
January 16, 2006, 1:43 AM
Arta
eh?
January 16, 2006, 10:50 AM

Search