Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Politics | Alito Questioning

AuthorMessageTime
CrAz3D
I like how people are beginning to just attack his character now.

They're attacking him about groups he was barely active in like 26 years ago...mk
He doesn't remember anything about it, I'm fine with that, I don't know what I did in Key Club 2? years ago. 

These leftists sure are mean people.

NOTE:
As pointed out on the news, it is only a few evil leftists like Kennedy that are resorting to personal attacks.
January 12, 2006, 2:05 AM
Myndfyr
As someone on talk radio noted, the people involved know that the attacks they're making aren't substantiated, and that they're just preying on the ignorance of the masses.
January 12, 2006, 2:25 AM
CrAz3D
[quote author=MyndFyre link=topic=13884.msg141462#msg141462 date=1137032723]
As someone on talk radio noted, the people involved know that the attacks they're making aren't substantiated, and that they're just preying on the ignorance of the masses.
[/quote]Exactly.  It isn't doing anything to Alito, other than making his wife break down in tears in hearings, its just making people think less of him.

If everyone knew what Kennedy did & how he acted along with his family no one would believe in him any longer, he doesn't even follow his own principles.
January 12, 2006, 2:27 AM
kamakazie
[/quote]

What will "preying on the ignorance of the masses" do?
January 12, 2006, 4:08 AM
CrAz3D
[quote author=dxoigmn link=topic=13884.msg141482#msg141482 date=1137038924]
[/quote]

[/quote]Influence people to not support their representatives if the representatives vote for Alito.
January 12, 2006, 4:30 AM
LoRd
[quote author=CrAz3D link=topic=13884.msg141455#msg141455 date=1137031525]

They're attacking him about groups he was barely active in like 26 years ago...mk
He doesn't remember anything about it, I'm fine with that, I don't know what I did in Key Club 2? years ago. 

NOTE:
As pointed out on the news, it is only a few evil leftists like Kennedy that are resorting to personal attacks.
[/quote]

Seriously.  I was watching some of the questioning on CSPAN2 and they were asking some of the stupidest questions and when they weren't, it was as if they were lecturing him on things as if he had already done them incorrectly.  It was funny for a few minutes and then got extremely boring at which point I changed channels.
January 12, 2006, 7:12 AM
CrAz3D
Right now Ed Kennedy is questioning him about unitary government & is slightly skewing his responses on it.  Kennedy seems rather unsure of what he wants to ask & Alito seems quite sure of his answers.

At least this is the last day for this.
January 12, 2006, 2:50 PM
Forged
If Alito was a little bit more like Scalia, and a little less like Thomas I might think he would be a decent judge.
January 12, 2006, 3:40 PM
Myndfyr
[/quote]

The entire campaign against Alito is smear.  He is highly qualified and has been very careful throughout his career.  For example, (I'm trying to remember the facts, so bear with me) Ted Kennedy claimed he hadn't seen a case by Alito where he ruled in favor of a minority or woman (I think this was in the last year or two).  There were four cases.

Either Kennedy didn't do his homework (and shouldn't be re-elected), or he's trying to paint Alito as a racist bigot. 
January 12, 2006, 5:19 PM
CrAz3D
[quote author=MyndFyre link=topic=13884.msg141535#msg141535 date=1137086353]
[/quote]

The entire campaign against Alito is smear.  He is highly qualified and has been very careful throughout his career.  For example, (I'm trying to remember the facts, so bear with me) Ted Kennedy claimed he hadn't seen a case by Alito where he ruled in favor of a minority or woman (I think this was in the last year or two).  There were four cases.

Either Kennedy didn't do his homework (and shouldn't be re-elected), or he's trying to paint Alito as a racist bigot. 
[/quote]
They're also turning his own answers against him by twisting his words.
There was some case Alito was asked about & he said it how it happend & so forth but he also mentioned that it could be used differently...he didn't say it SHOULD be used like that, he just pointed out a loophole...Ed Kennedey harped on that alot.

Also, many questions are being asked that he possibly cannot answer without there being actual facts.
Its pointless, they're not learning anything by it as he is answering as he should with "I don't know how I would decide without any facts"

EDIT:
I like how Sen. Shumer?'s conclusion was read, meaning it was written previous to today's questioning, he seems pretty sure of his decision even before questioning the man, nice.

Also, news just pointed out that many of the Senators have to keep refering to their notes to ask questions about Alito's past, decisions & cases in general.  Sam Alito, as pointed out, has looked at notes very little when responding.  I, personally, only have seen him look at notes once in the probably 3 hours I've watched.

ANYWAYS, this guy knows his shit.  Seems like he'dbe a good justice.  Not quite as constitutionalist as Scalia, but still believes in the constitution.

EDIT#2:
Sen. Biden(D) has a good point

EDIT #3:
I've heard about bigot remarks that Myndfyre was refering to, just saw a (R) senator flat out ask Alito (tape from yesterday) if he was a bigot & Alito responded no & the (R) senator began to defend why he agreed w/Alito.
Freakin extremists
January 12, 2006, 5:27 PM
Mephisto
[quote author=CrAz3D link=topic=13884.msg141455#msg141455 date=1137031525]

NOTE:
[/quote]

Please, if the tables were shifted it'd be the same things spewing from the right side.  Imagine Alito's Counterpart being nominated by Kerry if he were elected and were to appoint a judge.

If Alito does get on the Supreme Court it will mean that every court case will be predictably conservative in the sense of narrow interpretation of the constituion not to mention conservative beliefs from the party; such as abortion and right to weapons.  It's obvious then, that the left will fight vigorously to prevent a radical conservative from being on the Supreme court to replace the neutralizer of the Supreme Court who is now retiring.

I might also add for further discussion that Alito has shown some hypocrisy with his beliefs and his rulings, and I forgot the term used for this, but if he is consistant about it he may in fact vote pro-abortion rights and go with the flow of previous court rulings rather than voice his opinions.

This Supreme Court pick will determine the outcome of the Supreme Court until the next justice retires, so it is a critical decision and I don't think some of you probably understand that.  This decision will have a major outcome in the future.
January 12, 2006, 8:39 PM
JoeTheOdd
Two words: Neato Alito!
January 12, 2006, 10:08 PM
CrAz3D
[quote author=Mephisto link=topic=13884.msg141552#msg141552 date=1137098367]
Please, if the tables were shifted it'd be the same things spewing from the right side.  Imagine Alito's Counterpart being nominated by Kerry if he were elected and were to appoint a judge.
[/quote]
Obviously there would be a few extreme rightists slandering the nominee publically, these few people on both sides make a mockery out of this process.

If Alito does get on the Supreme Court it will mean that every court case will be predictably conservative in the sense of narrow interpretation of the constituion not to mention conservative beliefs from the party; such as abortion and right to weapons.  It's obvious then, that the left will fight vigorously to prevent a radical conservative from being on the Supreme court to replace the neutralizer of the Supreme Court who is now retiring.
[/quote]
The court was predominantly conservative, but mostly they rule with the Constitution which it seems Alito rules with as well.

I might also add for further discussion that Alito has shown some hypocrisy with his beliefs and his rulings, and I forgot the term used for this, but if he is consistant about it he may in fact vote pro-abortion rights and go with the flow of previous court rulings rather than voice his opinions.
[/quote]
He isn't supposed to rule "how he feels", he is supposed to rule within the law and if that law is unconstitutional they are supposed to overturn that law, it has nothing to do with his beliefs how he should be ruling, that isn't hypocrisy...hypocrisy would be Alito having an abortion (or something similar, you get the picture).  He would just be doing his job by upholding the Constitution, something he obviously believes in.
This Supreme Court pick will determine the outcome of the Supreme Court until the next justice retires, so it is a critical decision and I don't think some of you probably understand that.  This decision will have a major outcome in the future.
[/quote]Of course the Supreme Court determines the outcome of the Supreme Court, they ARE the Supreme Court. ;)

Who are these "you"'s you're refering to?
January 12, 2006, 10:18 PM
Mephisto
[quote author=CrAz3D link=topic=13884.msg141564#msg141564 date=1137104338]
Obviously there would be a few extreme rightists slandering the nominee publically, these few people on both sides make a mockery out of this process.[/quote]

So you agree?  I recommend that you don't make those stupid comments again about the left being a bunch of bullshitters asking irrelevant questions when the right would do the same.

The court was predominantly conservative, but mostly they rule with the Constitution which it seems Alito rules with as well.
[/quote]

The court was divided between four fairly predictable conservatives and four fairly prediactable liberals with Sandra Day O'Conner being in the middle to decide the the fate of many rulings for cases in the past.  How many 5-4 cases have there been in the last decade with a large amount of controversy?

He isn't supposed to rule "how he feels", he is supposed to rule within the law and if that law is unconstitutional they are supposed to overturn that law, it has nothing to do with his beliefs how he should be ruling, that isn't hypocrisy...hypocrisy would be Alito having an abortion (or something similar, you get the picture).  He would just be doing his job by upholding the Constitution, something he obviously believes in.
[/quote]

You're quite wrong.  If beliefs had nothing to do with the Supreme Court we wouldn't even be arguing about justice nominees to begin with; it'd automatically be who the President wanted and we wouldn't care.

The truth is, what he stands for and what he believes is critical to the outcome of rulings in the Supreme Court.  Their job is to interpret the Constitution, and interpretation is strongly, and if not indefinitely influenced by personal belief and opinion; I'm sorry, but there's no denying it to be frank.

Of course the Supreme Court determines the outcome of the Supreme Court, they ARE the Supreme Court. ;)

Who are these "you"'s you're refering to?
[/quote]

Yes, and this pick will likely be the biggest determining factor of the rulings.  See above.

I'm referring to people reading this and taking part of the discussion.  For example, I gurantee the case of abortion will come knocking on the Supreme Court again in the near future, and it it's a 5/4 conservative/liberal ratio, then we all know what the ruling will be.  Same goes for the other way around (vice versa).

This decision will strongly affect things like abortion, gun rights, etc. and that frankly, is a big deal.
January 12, 2006, 10:52 PM
CrAz3D
[quote author=Mephisto link=topic=13884.msg141576#msg141576 date=1137106342]
So you agree?  I recommend that you don't make those stupid comments again about the left being a bunch of bullshitters asking irrelevant questions when the right would do the same.
[/quote]
In my post (before you replied) I mentioned the leftist meanines, I just never acknowledged the rightist meanies because they weren't really in the picture right now.

The court was divided between four fairly predictable conservatives and four fairly prediactable liberals with Sandra Day O'Conner being in the middle to decide the the fate of many rulings for cases in the past.  How many 5-4 cases have there been in the last decade with a large amount of controversy?
[/quote]
No doubt about that.

You're quite wrong.  If beliefs had nothing to do with the Supreme Court we wouldn't even be arguing about justice nominees to begin with; it'd automatically be who the President wanted and we wouldn't care.

The truth is, what he stands for and what he believes is critical to the outcome of rulings in the Supreme Court.  Their job is to interpret the Constitution, and interpretation is strongly, and if not indefinitely influenced by personal belief and opinion; I'm sorry, but there's no denying it, you'd be an idiot if you did.
[/quote]
I said he should be ruling by law.  Yes, I accept that beliefs have alot to do with what is & isn't unconstitutional, but also believe Alito appears (to me) to stay within the law on his rulings.

Yes, and this pick will likely be the biggest determining factor of the rulings.  See above.

I'm referring to people reading this and taking part of the discussion.  For example, I gurantee the case of abortion will come knocking on the Supreme Court again in the near future, and it it's a 5/4 conservative/liberal ratio, then we all know what the ruling will be.  Same goes for the other way around (vice versa).

This decision will strongly affect things like abortion, gun rights, etc. and that frankly, is a big deal.
[/quote]Of course its a big deal.
The next abortions case will be about the states' right to decide about abortion.  Indiana? has proposed a bill in their state legislature that would make any & all abortion illegal.
Whether or not abortion truly is a "state right" will be decided in the Supreme Court sometime, just as gay marriage is currently a "state right".
January 12, 2006, 11:06 PM
Mephisto
[quote author=CrAz3D link=topic=13884.msg141578#msg141578 date=1137107213]
[/quote]
In my post (before you replied) I mentioned the leftist meanines, I just never acknowledged the rightist meanies because they weren't really in the picture right now.

[/quote]
No doubt about that.

The truth is, what he stands for and what he believes is critical to the outcome of rulings in the Supreme Court.  Their job is to interpret the Constitution, and interpretation is strongly, and if not indefinitely influenced by personal belief and opinion; I'm sorry, but there's no denying it, you'd be an idiot if you did.
[/quote]
I said he should be ruling by law.  Yes, I accept that beliefs have alot to do with what is & isn't unconstitutional, but also believe Alito appears (to me) to stay within the law on his rulings.

[/quote]Of course its a big deal.
The next abortions case will be about the states' right to decide about abortion.  Indiana? has proposed a bill in their state legislature that would make any & all abortion illegal.
Whether or not abortion truly is a "state right" will be decided in the Supreme Court sometime, just as gay marriage is currently a "state right".
[/quote]

Well I'm glad you agree with a liberal on such a general topic, regardless of such a bad thing that may be.
January 12, 2006, 11:08 PM
CrAz3D
I'm just against the personal slander going on.
I realize it would go either way, & as Sen. Bidden? said this whole interrogation of these nominees is just a political mudslinging war, TOTALLY pointless, now.
January 12, 2006, 11:12 PM
Invert
Diane Feinstein, Charles Schumer, Edward Kennedy are all a disgrace to the United States of America and are unfit to be U.S. senators.

If you heard the part of the hearing last night where the most incompetent senator of all time Edward Kennedy was questioning Judge Alito, Kennedy was reading from a script that was obviously put together by that wicked witch herself Diane Feinstein. It became obvious when he forgot to read the last line of the script and the witch shouted out to him to read the last line, Kennedy being an incompetent pile of cow pie that he is started reading the same line he just read a second ago at that time the witch started reciting the line that he was suppose to read from her own memory. Kennedy looked confused and answered back to the witch telling her to give him a second to figure things out where things were in the script she wrote for him. The entire room broke into laughter at the expense of the incompetent pile of cow pie.

The fecal excrement known to us by the name of Charles Schumer decided to practice McCarthyism by implicating someone by association.

http://www.humaneventsonline.com/article.php?id=11555
January 12, 2006, 11:35 PM
CrAz3D
Other than all the crazy names used, I agree with you & the article you posted.

I want to see a MEN'S history class denounce women, see what would happen then.

It was quite disturbing when I saw the Senators reading their predetermined conclusions & comments...how does one KNOW the future like that?
January 12, 2006, 11:45 PM
Invert
Mephisto throws a lot of what ifs and makes his point with assumptions that the republicans would grill a liberal candidate using McCarthyism methods. I can also go with what ifs and ask what if your mother aborted you at 5 months of pregnancy?

But we won't do that. We are simply going to look at Ruth Bader Ginsburg confirmation questioning.
The republicans were very nice to her during the questioning when she only answered about 5% of their questions!

Pay good attention to section II
http://www.fed-soc.org/Publications/rbgjudnomconduct.pdf

Judge Alito answered about 95% of the questions he was asked even when being falsely accused by association.
January 13, 2006, 3:47 AM
Mephisto
[quote author=Invert link=topic=13884.msg141605#msg141605 date=1137124039]
Mephisto throws a lot of what ifs and makes his point with assumptions that the republicans would grill a liberal candidate using McCarthyism methods. I can also go with what ifs and ask what if your mother aborted you at 5 months of pregnancy?

But we won't do that. We are simply going to look at Ruth Bader Ginsburg confirmation questioning.
The republicans were very nice to her during the questioning when she only answered about 5% of their questions!

Pay good attention to section II
http://www.fed-soc.org/Publications/rbgjudnomconduct.pdf

Judge Alito answered about 95% of the questions he was asked even when being falsely accused by association.
[/quote]

I am so sick of your aggressive and offensive comments in a vein effort to try and convince everyone that liberals are the absolute scum of this earth and conservatives are the ideal example of a human.  You're turning into Hazard II.

The what-if I proposed certainly has a very high probability to become a reality if in fact the setting for it was true, especially in this day and age.  I might also mention I gave one what-if and you make it sound like I committed a crime or stated a dozen what-ifs.  And lastly the what-if part of my post wasn't even my point that I was trying to get across.  Please re-read.

And as for your post, you are using one example in history to serve as a generic template for how conservatives are to act in the most ideal manner and always will?  Please.  Sounds like you would have it be that conservatives are always the best, always right, and always act with ideal manner while liberals are always the worst, always wrong, and always act inconsistantly and stupiditly.
January 13, 2006, 4:49 AM
Stealth
[quote]I am so sick of your aggressive and offensive comments in a vein effort to try and convince everyone that liberals are the absolute scum of this earth and conservatives are the ideal example of a human.  You're turning into Hazard II.[/quote]

His words don't strike me as particularly aggressive OR offensive. The lines of questioning chosen by several key Democratic senators are certainly painting them as despicable characters -- I consider anyone who bases their argument entirely off of personal smears a despicable character.

[quote]And as for your post, you are using one example in history to serve as a generic template for how conservatives are to act in the most ideal manner and always will?  Please.  Sounds like you would have it be that conservatives are always the best, always right, and always act with ideal manner while liberals are always the worst, always wrong, and always act inconsistantly and stupiditly.
[/quote]

Certainly not. Generalities are silly; furthermore, you're putting words in his mouth. "Sounds like"? He never said any of that. Conservatives can be just as stupid and fearmongering as liberals. What we're looking at are the personal attacks committed by liberal senators against a conservative nominee -- there's no room for debate as to whether or not they happened, because they're on the record.
January 17, 2006, 7:04 PM
Grok
Congratulations to Alito, the Senate Judiciary Committee approved his recommendation.

I approve it too.  I like the way he is careful about his answers so that they are applicable to the law.  He seems to be very much about the rule of law and that is precisely what we need.  The judiciary does not exist to create law, only to enforce it and sometimes clarify it.
January 24, 2006, 6:10 PM
CrAz3D
[quote author=Grok link=topic=13884.msg142970#msg142970 date=1138126239]
Congratulations to Alito, the Senate Judiciary Committee approved his recommendation.

I approve it too.  I like the way he is careful about his answers so that they are applicable to the law.  He seems to be very much about the rule of law and that is precisely what we need.  The judiciary does not exist to create law, only to enforce it and sometimes clarify it.
[/quote]
Fun fun.
January 24, 2006, 10:36 PM
DarkMinion
You know what's hilarious to me?  Feinstein actually believes the far left is the judicial mainstream.
January 24, 2006, 10:38 PM

Search