Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Computer Support Issues | Killing some processes

AuthorMessageTime
Mangix
i'm having a little issue with windows that's really pissing me off. when some programs on my computer crash, they dont do anything so i try to kill them using Windows Task Manager. it says it killed it but it didnt do anything because the process is still there. i've even tried Process Explorer and i had no luck.

so does anyone know how to kill those kind of processes?
January 2, 2006, 2:09 AM
Myndfyr
Turn off your computer.  That'll stop those rogue processes dead in their tracks.
January 2, 2006, 5:21 PM
thing2
[quote author=MyndFyre link=topic=13732.msg140107#msg140107 date=1136222474]
Turn off your computer.  That'll stop those rogue processes dead in their tracks.
[/quote]

QFT

If they are evil processes such as the dreaded thingiswatchingyou.exe, you'd be better off not having them start in the first place.
January 2, 2006, 5:29 PM
Explicit[nK]
[quote author=Thing [vL] link=topic=13732.msg140110#msg140110 date=1136222973]
Turn off your computer. That'll stop those rogue processes dead in their tracks.
[/quote]

QFT

If they are evil processes such as the dreaded thingiswatchingyou.exe, you'd be better off not having them start in the first place.
[/quote]

In other words, disable the process(es) from starting up.
January 2, 2006, 7:11 PM
Myndfyr
[quote author=Explicit[nK] link=topic=13732.msg140122#msg140122 date=1136229062]
Turn off your computer. That'll stop those rogue processes dead in their tracks.
[/quote]

QFT

[/quote]

[/quote]
No, he means never turning your computer on.  :P
January 2, 2006, 7:39 PM
Explicit[nK]
[quote author=MyndFyre link=topic=13732.msg140133#msg140133 date=1136230772]
[quote author=Explicit[nK] link=topic=13732.msg140122#msg140122 date=1136229062]
[/quote]

QFT

[/quote]

[/quote]
No, he means never turning your computer on. :P
[/quote]

Oh.  I would quit life then.
January 2, 2006, 11:48 PM
Mangix
[/quote]to tell you the truth, when i click Shut Down, windows never does because it cant kill the process so i have to turn it off manually.

also those processes arent malware, spyware, or any bad stuff. they are just regular programs doing the stuff that i like.
January 3, 2006, 3:17 AM
Explicit[nK]
[quote author=FatBastard link=topic=13732.msg140185#msg140185 date=1136258251]
[/quote]to tell you the truth, when i click Shut Down, windows never does because it cant kill the process so i have to turn it off manually.

also those processes arent malware, spyware, or any bad stuff. they are just regular programs doing the stuff that i like.
[/quote]

You should just reformat and get a clean start on everything.
January 3, 2006, 3:41 AM
shout
Or someone could provide some help.

1. Go to Start->Run
2. run msconfig
3. go to the 'startup' tab
4. Disable suspicious items. The only thing you really need is sstray. Java needs jusched, and be sure to leave your anti-virus, firewall, ect on.
January 3, 2006, 4:23 AM
Explicit[nK]
He did say that the processes that aren't responding are the ones that he wants/likes to use.  Try reinstalling the programs?
January 3, 2006, 4:43 AM
iago
Reinstalling Windows is probably your best bet.  If you don't take good care of Windows, like anything, it'll explode in your face.
January 3, 2006, 3:41 PM
Grok
If you have already decided to reinstall, I suggest following the instructions here so you can learn!

Short of reinstalling, you could use various tools and some thinking to get rid of junk.  The following is posted assuming you understand which processes on your computer belong to the OS and stock services, which are installed by you and desired to keep, and which leftovers are rogue/malware to be removed.  You assume all the responsibility.  If you do not know how to do one of the following steps, these instructions are probably not for you.

1.  Go to http://www.sysinternals.com and download utilities section.  Get Autoruns, Tcpview, Filemon, Regmon, and RootKitRevealer.

2.  Install all the utilities in C:\SysInternals.  Add C:\SysInternals to your system path, or at least to your user path.  Reboot (9x) or apply (NT+) and check path in a new command prompt.

3.  Run tcpview.
    a.  Investigate any open connections.  Make note of which programs have them open.  If this is not expected or authorized, do the research into what the program is, how it got there, how to remove, etc.
    b.  Investigate any listening connections.  Make note and research if not expected or authorized.

4.  Run Autoruns.  There are numerous ways that a program can get itself started without user intervention.  Hence the name autoruns.  This program exposes most if not all methods of starting programs.  Go through the list and decide, through your own knowledge and research, which programs are authorized to be autoruns.  Those that are not, make note of the file locations, and handle.  Handle means remove, clean, uninstall, and delete the entry.  Again your decision and your responsibility.

5.  Use FileMon and RegMon to research what programs are doing when you start them.  Using RegEdt32 you can lock down keys so programs cannot do whatever harm they were doing while you clean them up.  Using NTFS you can lock down programs so they cannot run, copy themselves, create themselves in known locations, and so forth, while you clean them up.  That's my favorite method of handling malware.
  a.  Some processes use sibling processes to keep themselves embedded in your computer.  Process A might be the malware and B is the sibling, which watches to see if you kill process A.  Seeing that, B will restart A.  If you kill B, A will start B back up too.  Sometimes these include copies of each other so if you delete the executable, the sibling process immediately create a new copy and execute it.
  - 1) I solve this by writing a batch file to delete a.exe in a loop.  Run the batch file then kill the process.  Process B won't have time to start A.exe again before the batch file deletes it from disk.
  - 2) Optionally you can secure the folder being written to, or the executable, so that B cannot write a new file or execute it.

6.  Run RootKitRevealer to expose the latest generation of malware, especially if you have purchased certain Sony music CDs in the last year.

Know what you are doing before doing anything.
Do appropriate backups before doing anything.
January 10, 2006, 9:29 PM
Kp
[quote author=Grok link=topic=13732.msg141343#msg141343 date=1136928597]
  - 1) I solve this by writing a batch file to delete a.exe in a loop.  Run the batch file then kill the process.  Process B won't have time to start A.exe again before the batch file deletes it from disk.
  - 2) Optionally you can secure the folder being written to, or the executable, so that B cannot write a new file or execute it.[/quote]

Another option which may work here is to suspend the process without killing it.  Most respawn-loops are synchronizing on the death of the peer process, and won't be expecting it to simply hang.  So, suspend both processes (=> neither can run any further code unless someone unsuspends them), then you can investigate/kill at your leisure.  "Kill process tree" (process explorer feature) may also be useful in exterminating them if they don't dissociate from one another.  I've never tried kill tree on a set of peer processes though, so it might not get them all (if procexp kills A, B starts A2, and A2 isn't killed because it wasn't running when the kill started).
January 11, 2006, 4:55 AM
Stealth
Wow, that's some awful reading comprehension.. sorry, Kp!
January 11, 2006, 6:18 PM

Search