Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Need assistance..

AuthorMessageTime
inner.
Whenever I scan for proxies on my computer, I can't connect to things, go on the web, etc. Even after I turn the scanner off. I have to restart my computer for it to be back to normal.
Would anyone know why this is doing this? I scanned on my other computer and it didn't do those things. So I'm assuming it's my computer. It isn't my bandwidth because I have 1.5mb/s bandwidth.

Anyone got any suggestions?
December 31, 2005, 1:50 AM
Rule
[quote author=inner. link=topic=13714.msg139911#msg139911 date=1135993858]
Whenever I scan for proxies on my computer, I can't connect to things, go on the web, etc. Even after I turn the scanner off. I have to restart my computer for it to be back to normal.
Would anyone know why this is doing this? I scanned on my other computer and it didn't do those things. So I'm assuming it's my computer. It isn't my bandwidth because I have 1.5mb/s bandwidth.

[/quote]

Is your other computer that you tested this on connected to the same network?

What operating system do you use on each computer?

What scanner are you using?

You really haven't given enough information to get a precise answer to your question. 
December 31, 2005, 2:39 AM
inner.
[quote author=Rule link=topic=13714.msg139913#msg139913 date=1135996799]
[quote author=inner. link=topic=13714.msg139911#msg139911 date=1135993858]

[/quote]

Is your other computer that you tested this on connected to the same network?

What operating system do you use on each computer?

What scanner are you using?

You really haven't given enough information to get a precise answer to your question. 
[/quote]

Yes, my other computer was on the same network.

On my current computer it's Windows XP Professional. On my other computer it's Windows XP Home.

I'm using TLS (Tiny Little Scanner)

I hope this clears things up.
December 31, 2005, 4:00 AM
Rule
When you scan on your other computer (where your problem doesn't happen) can you use the Internet normally, while the scanner is running?

On the computer that is causing you problems, run the scan, then stop it, then go to command prompt, and type
[code]netstat -a[/code]

The output may give you the answer to your problem.
December 31, 2005, 5:36 AM
Yegg
I remember there was this certain scanner I was using, and it caused the same problem for me. However using a different scanner did not cause any problem at all.
December 31, 2005, 5:30 PM
inner.
Oh? What scanner?
December 31, 2005, 6:47 PM
Yegg
I wouldn't remember, this was years ago.
December 31, 2005, 8:02 PM
inner.
Eh, ok. I think I'm just going to stop scanning, this is pissing me off. :p
December 31, 2005, 8:32 PM
Explicit[nK]
With SP2, raw sockets are unsupported, hence disabled.
January 1, 2006, 10:44 AM
Myndfyr
[quote author=Explicit[nK] link=topic=13714.msg139999#msg139999 date=1136112286]
With SP2, raw sockets are unsupported, hence disabled.
[/quote]

Did anyone mention raw sockets?

They're used very infrequently.  Developers need to implement their own network stack to use them.  So I doubt that this is the issue.
January 1, 2006, 8:33 PM
Kp
[quote author=MyndFyre link=topic=13714.msg140033#msg140033 date=1136147585][quote author=Explicit[nK] link=topic=13714.msg139999#msg139999 date=1136112286]With SP2, raw sockets are unsupported, hence disabled.[/quote]Did anyone mention raw sockets?

They're used very infrequently.  Developers need to implement their own network stack to use them.  So I doubt that this is the issue.[/quote]

Raw sockets are the preferred way of doing port scans.  Nmap works much better if it has permission to open a raw socket, since it can do all sorts of unusual constructs if it writes its own datagrams.

Removing raw sockets in SP2 was a nice gesture, but it came a couple of service packs too late.  If they were going to do it, they should've never shipped raw socket support as part of a Windows desktop OS in the first place.  Only network cartographers (typically, developers and sysadmins) and malicious software (i.e. programs to send LAND and similar such malformed constructs) need raw socket support.  The cartographers would be easily qualified to get a raw socket implementation for Windows if they didn't already have a Unix system from which to send the desired packets.  The malicious software can drag along its own network drivers for the purpose, but that makes it larger and more invasive than if it can get the raw socket support direct from the OS.
January 1, 2006, 9:46 PM

Search