Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Computer Support Issues | Desktop/Taskbar Issues

AuthorMessageTime
Networks
This is probably one of my main reasons why I HATE windows to some extent. My desktop and taskbar stop functioning. You can see them however they act like images and it allows for absolutely no interaction. In other words it just freezes.

How can I fix things like this. It happens to much now and is extremely annoying. It almost makes me want to reformat. Any ideas?
December 25, 2005, 7:26 PM
Mangix
when do they stop functioning? do you do something that makes explorer freeze? what happens before it freezes?
December 25, 2005, 7:39 PM
Kp
This is consistent with explorer.exe freezing.  You may see similar problems if you try to use Windows Explorer to browse the network, since it will often go into a blocking wait trying to read responses from the network.  Use taskmgr to kill explorer.exe and a new one should start.  If it doesn't, just run a new one from taskmgr.

Alternately, you could install an alternate shell like LiteStep (unfortunately it looks like some nimrod had the bright idea of requiring a login to view any internal pages at all, which seems to have nearly killed the project).
December 25, 2005, 8:55 PM
Networks
[quote author=Kp link=topic=13648.msg139240#msg139240 date=1135544155]
This is consistent with explorer.exe freezing.  You may see similar problems if you try to use Windows Explorer to browse the network, since it will often go into a blocking wait trying to read responses from the network.  Use taskmgr to kill explorer.exe and a new one should start.  If it doesn't, just run a new one from taskmgr.

Alternately, you could install an alternate shell like LiteStep (unfortunately it looks like some nimrod had the bright idea of requiring a login to view any internal pages at all, which seems to have nearly killed the project).
[/quote]

TehUser suggested that, Thank you. I'll try it if it occurs again which it probably will.
December 25, 2005, 9:03 PM

Search