Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Knoppix 3.9 Question!!

AuthorMessageTime
Reaper
Hello,
    I just recently got my hands on an old 4 gig hard drive and Knoppix 3.9, and it's a Live-CD. I've read about installing it to your hard drive instead so you don't have to use the disk. I have the 2 hard drives in my computer, a 74.4 GB with Windows XP on it and my tens-of-thousands of files and songs and misc., and that 4 GB with nothing on it. Now, how do I install Knoppix on the 4 GB one and have Windows on it's existing? I want to be able to choose which OS (or hard drive :P) to boot to when I start up my computer. I'm just afraid of screwing something up and reformatting and losing everything on my 74.4 GB and installing Knoppix to it! Would I disconnect the main drive, boot knoppix using the cd and install it to the 4 GB drive because it's the only one that's connected at the time? If so... how do I install it? I read something about typing the line "knoppix-installer" somewhere, but I don't know where....Sorry if this sounds like a lot of rambling on, it's just hard for me to explain
December 13, 2005, 12:26 AM
JoeTheOdd
If you want an installation linux, go for Slackware or Ubuntu, or if your bent on using a Knoppix-based Linux, persue DSL (Damn Small Linux).

If I remember correctly, Knoppix is based on Debian, as is Ubuntu.
December 13, 2005, 2:33 AM
Myndfyr
Fedora Core 4!
December 13, 2005, 2:43 AM
rabbit
Slack!
December 13, 2005, 3:23 AM
Newby
I'm pretty sure you'd be better off with a non-liveCD installation of Linux on your harddrive.

I recommend Slackware (www.slackware.com) but IIRC, Knoppix is based off of Debian (www.debian.org) and you may feel more comfortable with that.
December 13, 2005, 4:04 AM
rabbit
If I can install Slackware, anyone can.  Come on.
December 13, 2005, 4:12 AM
iago
Using an installed version of Knoppix, although it defeats the purpose, is pretty nice.  It's not designed for being installed, so it's not the greatest, but it's quite usable.  I'm sure you can find some information on Knoppix's website about how to install it. 
December 13, 2005, 7:24 PM

Search