Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Excess of Grok | BCS

AuthorMessageTime
DrivE
Once again... a BCS rant.

The BCS is a god damn joke. With all due respect to Grok, there is no way in hell that a 22nd ranked team deserves to play in a BCS game, and just look at their opponent. Its not fair to Penn State either. If they run FSU into the ground, which I suspect they should, how can they be taken seriously as the 3rd best team in the nation? Then look at West Virginia, the winners of the Big East. Even they're bound for a BCS game because of the automatic bids. The ACC and Big East... getting an automatic bid... its absolute bullshit. If you intend to give automatic bids what about the toughest conference in the NCAA, the SEC? West Virginia and Florida State have screwed far more deserving teams like Auburn, Oregon, or even Miami. The reason most of us watch college football is for the glory of the game, and when computer geeks get to decide with a little program who gets to play in the biggest bowl games money starts to take over. The bowl lineup is exciting when you look at Ohio State vs. Notre Dame and Texas vs. USC, but bullshit to the other two games. Its insulting to Georgia and Penn State to not be given a proper contest. This is the end of my rant, for now.
December 5, 2005, 12:10 AM
Grok
Agree.  FSU has no place being in a BCS bowl.

There's no need to rant, no intelligent football person would disagree.
December 5, 2005, 7:00 PM
Grok
Now in a weird twist, it looks like VaTech didn't belong in the BCS either.  Consider if you will adding some bad bounces to the ACC Championship game, without changing the skillfulness of either team ... that would be enough to let VaTech win.

Then, with their 11-1 record, they would appear a natural for a BCS position.  But in reality, they just were not a top-10 team.  The BCS was lucky that FSU exposed them for being an average Top 25 team.

So should teams get invited to BCS games based on record alone?  To say that FSU shouldn't go (and I agree they should not), with their 8-4 record, and that VaTech should with an 11-1, is no better.
December 9, 2005, 4:19 PM
DrivE
The ACC obviously doesn't deserve an automatic bid here, and in my opinion neither does WVU. An automatic bid without one given to the SEC? Uh, hello? Problem? My biggest beef is that no team that the BCS is supposed to pit the 8 best teamsin the nation against one another, and it clearly hasn't done that. You can make arguments for certain teams like Georgia, or LSU had the cards fallen differently, because of their conference (and their only) losses but yeesh. WVU and FSU are NOT two of the 8 best teams in the nation and therefore haven't earned their spots, they were spoon fed to them like babies.
December 10, 2005, 3:39 PM
DarkMinion
Uh, are you trying to say the SEC doesn't get an automatic bid?
December 10, 2005, 9:35 PM
DrivE
No, thats not what I'm saying.
December 11, 2005, 3:24 AM
DarkMinion
[quote]An automatic bid without one given to the SEC?[/quote]
December 11, 2005, 6:51 AM

Search