Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Computer Support Issues | Distorted Screen Issue

AuthorMessageTime
warz
I'm not sure if it's a virus or not. I don't think a virus has the ability to do what's being done to my computer, but it might. On the other hand, this started happening last night after my friend was looking at ebaumsworld shit, so it could be something fishy.

Anyways, I shut down my computer that night and all was fine. When I turned it on the next morning my monitor displayed windows in the similar way that the original nintendo would display the games incorrectly if there was dust on the cartridge or something. Where everythings disoriented and shown like 3 times. It's been doing this for awhile, I just haven't really been too interested in fixing it until now. It will display the "Gateway" monitor logo when I first turn on the computer perfectly, but when it displays the "Windows" loading screen it's all garbled. Once I'm in windows certain things will appear alright and other areas of the desktop are all messed up. The windows task bar area around the start button is fine. Everything above that is messed up.

I thought it was a bad connection between my monitor cable and my video card so I took it out, blew on it and cleaned everything off and it's still messed up.

Has anyone experienced this before or heard of this? No virus scanners find anything.

Thanks in advance.
December 4, 2005, 9:53 PM
Yegg
Have you checked to see if any suspicious applications are running that weren't running before you started experiencing these issues?
December 4, 2005, 10:17 PM
laurion
maybe something melted  :o
December 4, 2005, 11:33 PM
LoRd
Sounds like a video driver problem.
December 5, 2005, 12:03 AM
warz
No suspicious programs running. I'll download new drivers.
December 5, 2005, 12:32 AM
warz
Bah. Downloaded news drivers and still does same thing. I figure my video card i just messed up or something. Sucks, because it's a fairly new 256mb ATI video card.
December 5, 2005, 1:29 AM
shout
Warranty?
December 5, 2005, 8:06 PM
Stealth
Ye, I would contact ATi and see what they say.

Also, try updating DirectX from Microsoft's website, and perhaps give the motherboard and graphics card a visual once-over to make sure there are no capacitors with brown rusty-looking gunk leaking out of the top. I recently lost a graphics card to bad capacitors and the first symptom was repeated crashing whenever it was used intensively.
December 5, 2005, 8:34 PM
woodtroll
This is why you upload your shit on your own site(domain), moreover burn a cd with your most useful shit.

Reformatting  solves my problems.
December 6, 2005, 4:44 AM
The-Rabid-Lord
My friiends also went on ebaum and the next time I went to play CSS would load. I had to take a stick of ram out and it fixed the problem. :-\
December 6, 2005, 8:28 PM
Myndfyr
There are other things that it could have been:

1.) Did you try to re-seat your video card?  If it's happening at boot-time, then it's probably not a driver problem.
2.) Did you try to re-seat your memory stick(s)?
3.) Did you take some compressed air and blow off your motherboard?
December 8, 2005, 11:28 PM
JoeTheOdd
[quote]3.) Did you take some compressed air and blow off your motherboard?[/quote]

LOL.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5393904704265757054
December 9, 2005, 12:08 AM
MrRaza
Another problem you might want to consider is bent connectors that go from your serial cable from the monitor to the SCSI port on your video card(might not be SCSI but DVI) is any case, try to bend them back into place.
December 9, 2005, 10:38 AM

Search