Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Re: DxWnd (Run DirectDraw fullscreen apps as a window) - current version: 1.032

AuthorMessageTime
Yumiko
Hi,

I've been using DxWnd to run Starcraft, but when I Alt+Tab out of Starcraft, the entire application freezes. The units on the screen stop moving, and the sound stops playing, even if the Starcraft window is still visible.

Is there a way to make Starcraft still function even when I'm Alt+Tabbed out?
December 3, 2005, 8:57 PM
Networks
[quote author=Yumiko link=topic=13412.msg136233#msg136233 date=1133643446]
Hi,

I've been using DxWnd to run Starcraft, but when I Alt+Tab out of Starcraft, the entire application freezes. The units on the screen stop moving, and the sound stops playing, even if the Starcraft window is still visible.

Is there a way to make Starcraft still function even when I'm Alt+Tabbed out?
[/quote]

I am assuming you play single-player. While in single-player Starcraft pauses the game in a manner you mentioned. This isn't your fault, it's how the game is. I am saying: no there isn't a way to keep them moving.

There is an alternative: host a game online.
December 3, 2005, 10:09 PM
Yumiko
[quote author=Networks link=topic=13412.msg136244#msg136244 date=1133647785]I am assuming you play single-player. While in single-player Starcraft pauses the game in a manner you mentioned. This isn't your fault, it's how the game is. I am saying: no there isn't a way to keep them moving.[/quote]

Well, if I had Virtual PC running in a window on my system, and played Starcraft on that, they probably WOULD keep moving. Not that this is a practical solution considering (1) I don't have Virtual PC, and (2) it might lag too much. But I'm saying I think it should be technically possible to program some workaround (but I don't know enough about Windows programming).

[quote]There is an alternative: host a game online.[/quote]

I tried that; same problem. If I Alt+Tab out, the video and sound stops. The game would still be going in the background, but if someone's attacking me or whatever, I wouldn't know until I Alt+Tab back in.
December 3, 2005, 11:08 PM
MrRaza
As long as you had a decent amount of system memory you should be fine. I run VMware 5.0 workstation with a gig of ddr2 RAM on my laptop. VMware only uses the amount of RAM that you assign to it and I can assume the same for Virtual PC. I've installed Windows XP while playing Counter-strike without any system degration or slow down. Try it, I would suggest using VMware since it is just a better program all round then Virtual PC; not that I have anything against Microsoft. Also note, that I have a 1.8 Pentium M processor. You can buy VMware, or get it for free from a variety of places. If you want some more information, send me a private message or email me.

Starcraft is a full screen application, while VMware only takes up a portion of the screen on the host computer, so this would emulate what you are trying to get; although it is a little extreme. I might be mistaken but doesn't Starcraft have a windowed mode switch when you run it from the command line (-w)?
December 9, 2005, 11:10 AM

Search