Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Forum Ideas...YaBB.MoveNext( YA_UNREAD );

AuthorMessageTime
Grok
YaBB minor evaluation.

* Responds rather slow. Too many round trips to server. Messages load slow.
* Navigation is strictly hierarchical. Needs next topic, next unread topic, previous unread topic, etc.
* Quoting should be done client-side. Let user select text, click reply. If anything is selected, generate a quoted reply, else generate blank reply.

Maybe if they used a combination of server side scripting and client side objects/controls it would be faster. Have a somewhat rich client display the content such as the table structure, bitmaps, and so forth. Once those classes are loaded client side, it should be enough. Only the subsequent content(message list+messages+replies) should be sent from the server. Unless the client is seeing a page for the first time.

May 14, 2003, 10:50 PM
Yoni
[quote author=Grok link=board=2;threadid=1335;start=0#msg9984 date=1052952659]
* Navigation is strictly hierarchical. Needs next topic, next unread topic, previous unread topic, etc.
[/quote]
There are next/previous topic links. They're just small.
May 14, 2003, 11:58 PM
Grok
They go to next absolute. I want to go to next unread. Throughout the day I cherry-pick the messages to read, and might only have time to read one. Come back later, I'd like to be able to click "next unread" until I have read them all --- at which time next unread takes me back to the message list.
May 15, 2003, 2:37 AM
Raven
[quote author=Grok link=board=2;threadid=1335;start=0#msg9984 date=1052952659]
YaBB minor evaluation.

* Responds rather slow. Too many round trips to server. Messages load slow.
* Quoting should be done client-side. Let user select text, click reply. If anything is selected, generate a quoted reply, else generate blank reply.

Maybe if they used a combination of server side scripting and client side objects/controls it would be faster. Have a somewhat rich client display the content such as the table structure, bitmaps, and so forth. Once those classes are loaded client side, it should be enough. Only the subsequent content(message list+messages+replies) should be sent from the server. Unless the client is seeing a page for the first time.

[/quote]

Don't like the system? Fix it. ;)
May 15, 2003, 3:27 AM
Thing
I'll get my staff of PHP programmers right on that ...

Wait, I don't have a staff of PHP programmers. :(

One point you are missing on the performance issue is that this is sitting on my oldest server. It's going to be on social security next month so I'm anxious to get my first check. :) I might consider moving it to Sarah if I get more performance comments. Sarah is the fast bitch that you will not take home to meet your mother. >:D

If anybody is interested in making Groks mods, PM me and we'll discuss it.
May 15, 2003, 3:28 AM
Grok
[quote author=Thing link=board=2;threadid=1335;start=0#msg10008 date=1052969292]One point you are missing on the performance issue is that this is sitting on my oldest server.[/quote]

Oh, didn't know that. The delay now makes sense. When a topic file is requested, YaBB must display a mount request to the night operator at the console. The orange light flashes and siren goes off, in case he is asleep when the request comes in. He reads the volume I.D., goes to the vault and removes the disk pack. Looks around the room for an available drive, swaps disk packs and powers up the requested volume. The file is then read and message formatted for sending to the user.

Is that pretty close? ;D
May 15, 2003, 10:00 AM

Search