Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Stock Market

AuthorMessageTime
CrAz3D
I'm gonna go talk to somebody this week about investing.  Going to invest $5k I think

Trust, since you watch stocks & such, what would be a few good "safe" buys?
November 23, 2005, 12:24 AM
JoeTheOdd
Oil companys. They're heading back up after the Katrina/Rita disaster.

Doesn't this (and your El Paso topic) belong in Politics?
November 23, 2005, 2:18 AM
JTN Designer
Watch the daily market activity, look into upcoming IPO's (Initial Public Offerings). I wouldn't dump that much money into something to begin with, with advice from ANYONE other then a broker, yourself, or any other financial advisor.
November 23, 2005, 5:40 AM
CrAz3D
Stocks aren't political.  Well they are, but only a bit in this case, same w/the El Paso drinking thing.

Yeah, I'm definately going to see a broker/investement manager before investing
November 23, 2005, 6:48 AM
hismajesty
$5k isn't very much, in terms of investing anyway. But you could hit it big with a good IPO coming out. I haven't been paying much attention to the market in the past month or so, so I have no idea what's going on.

Though, one thing you might want to try is what my grandfather did when he switched brokers. It's like at a car dealership, they take turns getting the new customer. The one that gets you could be the worst one there. Ask for the best. My grandfather straight asked the guy in charge for the best broker there, and he got it. Of course, I'm sure he was transfering an account larger than $5,000 so the broker might not go for that. It can't hurt to attempt though.

You might want to look into day trading, depending on how much time you have. Most people lose their asses, but if you play it right (and watch the stocks at the right time) you could double+ your $5k pretty quickly.
November 23, 2005, 8:37 PM
CrAz3D
$5k cause I don't want to do much & my $50k is locked in a CD til July.  I maybe put $10k in a mutual fund after that
November 23, 2005, 9:19 PM
Ishbar
Don't invest in Oil..in the next 10-15 years Oil is going to go down sooo bad..good things to invest in are..

Alternative Fuel Sources-
Google-
Water Purification-

Those are you best bets..you have to catch the companies when they are blossoming, or a newly evolving field from a well reconized company works too. I.E. -G.M.

..Ps don't invest in G.M. they are laying off 30,000 workers...so that isn't good for investing at all.

Alternative Fuel Sources are neccissary; Oil isn't a renewable resource while things like Hydrogen fuel, or Nuclear Energy are much more conventional..

Google..is an obvious thing, too bad you didn't think of this 2-3 years ago, the stocks are now pretty pricey, but still nothing too steep for the average investor. Google has the pottential in the next 4 years to run Microsoft into the ground with a one two punch, they're just a search engine and look how well reconized Google has become. Bill Gates himself even said the only competition he see's is Google..

Finaly, Water Purification...only about 9 - 12% of earths water is actually utilizable. The rest is in the Atlantic Ocean. Earths population is growing vastly, in the next Decade water will be something on high priority you could say. Investing into these Three things are sure to have SOME kind of positive growth..

Its all just thinking of the bigger picture ya know?  Just don't get caught up in things like Loan's. The WORST possible thing to do is take out 100,000 in a year length loan, invest it into some company, then pay them back WITH 15% interest. Unless your gunna be an Entrepreneur ;)
November 24, 2005, 11:48 PM
hismajesty
I called Google when it went public, but nobody in my family listened to me. Suckers.
November 25, 2005, 12:31 AM
Mephisto
[quote author=Joe link=topic=13328.msg135078#msg135078 date=1132712339]
Oil companys. They're heading back up after the Katrina/Rita disaster.

Doesn't this (and your El Paso topic) belong in Politics?
[/quote]

I'm no stock expert, but wouldn't this hurt the value of your stock?  Stock value is based on a supply & demand ratio, where if the demand is high, and the supply is low, it drives the price of whatever you invested stock into up, thus increasing the value of your stock non-articifically.

Edit: After re-reading your post, I don't think you implied the stock would be good in oil investments due to recovering after those disasters, but because of the disasters, heh.  :)
November 25, 2005, 2:40 AM
hismajesty
No. You see, during the hurricanes the companies had to decrease total oil mining/refiining/etc. by up to 1/3. Plus, people weren't buying gas as much due to the cost (which stemmed from the cost to mine it, and thus the cost to refine it, etc.) this cause the stocks to go down. But now the prices have leveled and everythings starting to get back to normal, plus, we have cities to rebuild, which means that oil companies will be getting business from the construction crews down there in New Orleans. If you invest now where the companies (for example, XOM, at just under $60) are relatively low, there could be a decent (maybe $10+?) gain within a few months. Especially going into winter where people using oil heat will be spending a good deal of money heating their houses.

Though, it's risky. You could look into it for a quick gain I think, but Americans really saw the need to put new methods into use after the hurricanes, I think within the next decade or two, we'll move on to Hydrogen or other alternative methods. Of course, stock analysts are thinking the same way. The trick is to think that way before most of the public does.

By the way CrAz3D, start watching Mad Money. :)
November 25, 2005, 2:47 AM
CrAz3D
Google is too near it's cap (I think) to invest in, wouldn't you say?

Maybe health care since the baby boomers are getting on in age
November 25, 2005, 8:35 AM
Networks
[quote author=CrAz3D link=topic=13328.msg135280#msg135280 date=1132907743]
Google is too near it's cap (I think) to invest in, wouldn't you say?

Maybe health care since the baby boomers are getting on in age
[/quote]

I think that would be more of a long term invest for you since it's rather hard to predict when they all will need it or not. You're young I'd invest in something that will go up within 1-2 years time and sell so you can make money.

Don't buy google that would be dumb since it's so high as of now.
November 25, 2005, 3:38 PM
hismajesty
Google is speculated to go up, but I wouldn't bother. It's expensive and the amount of shares you'd actually get wouldn't yield a great return. It was a good stock last year, even earlier this year, but you missed the train. It didn't perform as well as expected last quarter either.

Since you're only investing $5k I'd look more into stuff that will pay off in the short term versus the long term, because if you can turn your $5k into more (it's possible, a guy I know from a stock group was featured in Money for turning like $5k into $1mil+ in a year. but he's way advanced.) and once you get more money to invest you can look into long term things. Because really, the money wouldn't be doing much if you put it into a long term investment right now.
November 25, 2005, 5:05 PM
jigsaw
I have an idea, use 5k to buy a mint that can produce fake tender... something to the tune of fake 100 dollar bills. It pays for itself so fast.
November 25, 2005, 6:54 PM
Ishbar
Good thing that getting a mint would of the new 100$ bill would be god damn impossible, and perhaps 50 million for just half of the mint at that. It costs 500,000 just to get the proper equipment to reproduce coin tender. Let alone the cost for the set, the metals, and the time to roll all that money..of course no it wouldnt be suspicious someone exchanging 100,000,000 in fresh U.S. quarters!  :-\
November 26, 2005, 2:02 AM
jigsaw
well, perhaps you can buy a nice printer, some descent paper, and a good template for adobe.
November 26, 2005, 7:45 AM
Forged
There is a show on I think cnn called mad money.  The guy on there goes over most of the decent stock and you can call in and ask questions.  It is midlly entertaining in short spurts too.
November 26, 2005, 7:38 PM
hismajesty
It's actually CNBC, and I already recommended it. Mad Money is great, Cramer is a stock genius, plus he's fun to watch which makes it so much better. The concept of what makes stocks go up and down isn't a hard one to grasp, but who actually spends their time memorizing which stocks are doing what? Cramer does, and that's what the benefit of watching his show is!

I think it's 5PM, 9PM, and 12AM EST that the show airs. The first showing is live, the others are repeats.
November 26, 2005, 7:41 PM

Search